Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:07 AM

111 posts, read 136,504 times

Advertisements

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/a...november,43962

https://newstalk941.com/head-of-algo...zes-economics/

What do you guys think about the vote? I feel like Anton is right and that it will help drive growth in Algood.

It would be really nice to see a future where the E Main St area of Algood is revitalized in a way like Cookeville's W Broad & S Cedar areas. It might also attract a larger sit-in restaurant to develop the empty space next to Zaxby's.

Last edited by yellowcat123; 08-25-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 09:25 AM

For reference: Cookeville's experience https://herald-citizen.com/stories/l...ue-here,22021?

Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
I did not realize it was up for consideration again. I will be surprised if it passes a referendum vote.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:56 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
https://herald-citizen.com/stories/a...november,43962

https://newstalk941.com/head-of-algo...zes-economics/

What do you guys think about the vote? I feel like Anton is right and that it will help drive growth in Algood.

It would be really nice to see a future where the E Main St area of Algood is revitalized in a way like Cookeville's W Broad & S Cedar areas. It might also attract a larger sit-in restaurant to develop the empty space next to Zaxby's.
I would dearly love to see downtown Algood gentrify the way downtown Cookeville has. It's already started which is wonderful to see. What it's lacking now is a destination restaurant or two as well as some destination retail.

I don't think Algood needs this for economic growth as it's already one of the fastest growing cities in the state (28% since 2010 and on the verge of surpassing Sparta) and already enjoys very low property taxes because of all the businesses and restaurants on West Main by Hwy 111. But if approving liquor by the drink means that some nice restaurants can open and help reinvigorate East Main downtown, then I'm for it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-26-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I would dearly love to see downtown Algood gentrify the way downtown Cookeville has. It's already started which is wonderful to see. What it's lacking now is a destination restaurant or two as well as some destination retail.

I don't think Algood needs this for economic growth as it's already one of the fastest growing cities in the state (28% since 2010 and on the verge of surpassing Sparta) and already enjoys very low property taxes because of all the businesses and restaurants on West Main by Hwy 111. But if approving liquor by the drink means that some nice restaurants can open and help reinvigorate East Main downtown, then I'm for it.
Do you think the the laws concerning the sale of alcohol near churches would create a problem for restaurants in the downtown area.

I have noticed Main street is really getting a facelift. Nice to see.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you think the the laws concerning the sale of alcohol near churches would create a problem for restaurants in the downtown area.

I have noticed Main street is really getting a facelift. Nice to see.
That's a good point about the sale of alcohol near churches. I know in Cookeville there are restaurants that serve liquor in the WestSide downtown just up the street from First Baptist and others on Cedar north of the Depot around the corner from the Unitarians. I don't know what the rule is for how many feet away from a church a restaurant has to be if it wants to serve liquor, and maybe each town has different ordinances. I could see Trinity in Algood being opposed to liquor by the drink but I don't know how much political clout they have.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 AM

303 posts, read 294,402 times
Quote:
That's a good point about the sale of alcohol near churches. I know in Cookeville there are restaurants that serve liquor in the WestSide downtown just up the street from First Baptist and others on Cedar north of the Depot around the corner from the Unitarians. I don't know what the rule is for how many feet away from a church a restaurant has to be if it wants to serve liquor, and maybe each town has different ordinances. I could see Trinity in Algood being opposed to liquor by the drink but I don't know how much political clout they have.

There will be some people at Trinity that will care about this, but most probably won't. Personally, I didn't even know this was going to be on the ballot until this thread popped up. Most people probably won't even know about it until they vote.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:43 PM

Herald Citizen did an article about campaign spending around the Liquor Vote.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/c...erendum,45090?

Algood Citizens for Progress were able to spend around 2,800 dollars on marketing For Legal Consumption with contributions coming from various members.

Algood Citizens Agaisnt Liquor spent 1,200 on marketing Against Liquor. All coming from a single contributor.

Keith Morrison City Administrator for Algood was quoted saying, "We are not sure on tax coming in, but feel it [Liquor by the Drink] will be a significant increase".

I really hope this passes and opens up more opportunities for Algood to develop.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:45 AM

It passed by a nearly 2-to-1 margin, 1,209 for, 677 against. It'll be interesting to see what happens next. I hope Algood can get a nice restaurant or two.

https://newstalk941.com/liquor-by-th...ses-in-algood/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It passed by a nearly 2-to-1 margin, 1,209 for, 677 against. It'll be interesting to see what happens next. I hope Algood can get a nice restaurant or two.

https://newstalk941.com/liquor-by-th...ses-in-algood/
That would be nice.
Driving through Algood I had notice many more signs for liquor than against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville