Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 PM

40 posts, read 120,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I love Buck Mountain! When I go to Cookeville, I always get off I-40 in Monterey and take the back road through Buck Mountain down into Cookeville. It's going to be great to see the railroad tracks rebuilt and the bike path built alongside the railroad tracks all the way from Monterey to Cookeville (and, hopefully, on to Baxter).

I can't remember where I read it, but Cookeville Regional Medical Center has one of the 5 busiest heart surgery units in the state; they're really good at it. It's the largest hospital between Nashville and Knoxville and is undergoing an $80 million expansion, essentially doubling its size.
It's great to talk with someone who knows my old stomping grounds. Did you ever cross over "Crazy George's Bridge" on your way from Monterey to Cookeville. It's not the same now that they have made it concrete. It use to be really cool and scary when it was wooden. I don't know how long it has been since you have been to Cookeville, but the railroad tracks are all clear of trees, sticks and stuff like that. I also noticed as I was passing through Algood the other afternoon that there were lots of RR equipment and lots of RR ties sitting on the RR tracks. It has really come a long way. We are so excited about the trains coming through here again. When I was a kid, we could always count on the train coming through and the conductor would throw candy to us. Ahh, the good old day.

The only problem with the massive growth of the hospital is that there is almost no parking and the little parking that there is, is so far away that you have to walk 1/2 a mile to get to the doors (only slightly exaggerated). They really need to build a parking garage. I don't forsee the hospital stop expanding. When they finish with one project, they start another one. But all in all, it truly is a great hospital and a great relief not to have to travel to Nashville for medical care.

Oh, by the way, do you remember an old restaurant called the Bull Pen? They are currently building a Longhorn Steakhouse on that property. Don't know if you know or not but Jere Whitson School burned a couple of weeks ago. Most of the old (50 years) part was destroyed. The school board has decided to repair part of the old Algood School and have Jere Whitson kids attend there when the next school year begins in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,721,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty cat View Post
It's great to talk with someone who knows my old stomping grounds. Did you ever cross over "Crazy George's Bridge" on your way from Monterey to Cookeville. It's not the same now that they have made it concrete. It use to be really cool and scary when it was wooden. I don't know how long it has been since you have been to Cookeville, but the railroad tracks are all clear of trees, sticks and stuff like that. I also noticed as I was passing through Algood the other afternoon that there were lots of RR equipment and lots of RR ties sitting on the RR tracks. It has really come a long way. We are so excited about the trains coming through here again. When I was a kid, we could always count on the train coming through and the conductor would throw candy to us. Ahh, the good old day.

The only problem with the massive growth of the hospital is that there is almost no parking and the little parking that there is, is so far away that you have to walk 1/2 a mile to get to the doors (only slightly exaggerated). They really need to build a parking garage. I don't forsee the hospital stop expanding. When they finish with one project, they start another one. But all in all, it truly is a great hospital and a great relief not to have to travel to Nashville for medical care.

Oh, by the way, do you remember an old restaurant called the Bull Pen? They are currently building a Longhorn Steakhouse on that property. Don't know if you know or not but Jere Whitson School burned a couple of weeks ago. Most of the old (50 years) part was destroyed. The school board has decided to repair part of the old Algood School and have Jere Whitson kids attend there when the next school year begins in August.
I agree about the parking situation at the hospital in Cookeville. All those acres of parking lots have swallowed up an entire neighborhood of small homes. It's kind of sad. I wish they'd build a parking garage. Oh well.

I'm excited about Longhorn Steakhouse opening in Cookeville! And from what I've heard, just up the hill on Jefferson is going to be a Hooters. And down the street on Interstate Drive is going to be a development with Panera, TGI Friday's, Olive Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings, and another bank.

I was sad to see that Jere Whitson School burned down, but hopefully this means they can build it larger and better. I was reading in the Cookeville paper that the county is going to need to build 2-3 more schools in the next couple of years just because of the growth, so maybe rebuilding a bigger Jere Whitson will help.

I think the bike path along the RR tracks in Cookeville is wonderful! It'll be exciting to see it extended all the way to Monterey.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I agree about the parking situation at the hospital in Cookeville. All those acres of parking lots have swallowed up an entire neighborhood of small homes. It's kind of sad. I wish they'd build a parking garage. Oh well.

I'm excited about Longhorn Steakhouse opening in Cookeville! And from what I've heard, just up the hill on Jefferson is going to be a Hooters. And down the street on Interstate Drive is going to be a development with Panera, TGI Friday's, Olive Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings, and another bank.

I was sad to see that Jere Whitson School burned down, but hopefully this means they can build it larger and better. I was reading in the Cookeville paper that the county is going to need to build 2-3 more schools in the next couple of years just because of the growth, so maybe rebuilding a bigger Jere Whitson will help.

I think the bike path along the RR tracks in Cookeville is wonderful! It'll be exciting to see it extended all the way to Monterey.
I had not heard that Hooters was coming here. I did hear that TGI Friday's and Olive Garden were coming. Do you know on which hill on Jefferson Hooters going to be?

I was actually at the school board meeting last night and they had a guy from a Knoxville firm talking about the "long range plan" that they had configured for the school system and they are telling us that we need 3 more K-4 schools, 1 new high school in Algood and 1 in Baxter as well as replacing some of the older school (one of which is 80 years old). They also said that we need 2 new 5-8 middle schools to accomodate the growth.

I haven't seen any of the construction on the bike path yet because they are working on the tracks first. It will be great when they get it all finished. I want to be on that first ride from Cookeville to Monterey.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty cat View Post
I had not heard that Hooters was coming here. I did hear that TGI Friday's and Olive Garden were coming. Do you know on which hill on Jefferson Hooters going to be?

I was actually at the school board meeting last night and they had a guy from a Knoxville firm talking about the "long range plan" that they had configured for the school system and they are telling us that we need 3 more K-4 schools, 1 new high school in Algood and 1 in Baxter as well as replacing some of the older school (one of which is 80 years old). They also said that we need 2 new 5-8 middle schools to accomodate the growth.

I haven't seen any of the construction on the bike path yet because they are working on the tracks first. It will be great when they get it all finished. I want to be on that first ride from Cookeville to Monterey.
Actually, I want to be the first to ride from Monterey to Cookeville (downhill!). We can waive to each other as we pass each other.

I read in today's Herald-Citizen about the school construction projects around Cookeville. That's a lot of schools. I wish they'd do more to keep Algood a K-8 school. It's super overcrowded, but it's overcrowded because parents love the K-8 concept; most of their kids are all in the same school. But I do think a new high school is needed; Cookeville HS is waaayyy too big for a small town. There were 1100 students at CHS when I was a student there, this year there are nearly 2,300.

Hooters is supposedly going up next to Burger King where there used to be a gas station (Chevron?). I can't wait--for their wings, of course.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
The consensus at my work is that Quaker Steak and Lube has much better wings than Hooter's. Have you checked them out?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The consensus at my work is that Quaker Steak and Lube has much better wings than Hooter's. Have you checked them out?
But Quaker Steak doesn't have the Hooters girls...

Old 04-06-2007, 05:53 PM

This is true, but which has the better wings?

Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, I want to be the first to ride from Monterey to Cookeville (downhill!). We can waive to each other as we pass each other.

I read in today's Herald-Citizen about the school construction projects around Cookeville. That's a lot of schools. I wish they'd do more to keep Algood a K-8 school. It's super overcrowded, but it's overcrowded because parents love the K-8 concept; most of their kids are all in the same school. But I do think a new high school is needed; Cookeville HS is waaayyy too big for a small town. There were 1100 students at CHS when I was a student there, this year there are nearly 2,300.

Hooters is supposedly going up next to Burger King where there used to be a gas station (Chevron?). I can't wait--for their wings, of course.
Well, the waving will be hard to do because they only have one set of tracks so I want to ride up and down.

I haven't read the paper today but I have kids in both Algood and CHS, so I know about the overcrowding. At Algood, there is not a room available anywhere. They even moved the band teacher to the multipurpose room to allow for another kindergarten teacher to be in the band room. They also have made a classroom out of the "teen living room", it has 3 complete kitchens, it's essecially what we used to call home economics. The school is suppose to be divided by grades so that the younger kids don't mingle with the older ones but the crowding is so bad that they have kindergarten on the same hall as the 5th and 6th graders.

I don't know anything about Hooter's or their wings. My dad use to own a small wing place here in town with the BEST wings anywhere. So when he closed (due to declining health), he gave me the recipe. So now when I want wings, I make them myself. And best of all, I don't have to look at some girls chest while trying to eat.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:18 PM

This is WONDERFUL news. Kitty Cat can bring the wings to our picnic!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:25 AM

26 posts, read 101,350 times
nice pics! thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville