Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times

Advertisements

OK, I can't get Cookeville out of my mind...so I've been doing quite a bit of searching on realtor.com to narrow down the areas where I might eventually move...

I've noticed some houses in the Holiday Trace/Fiesta Drive area that appear to be priced lower than I would expect....3/2 with 2 car garage, maybe 1600-1700 sq ft, appear to be built in the mid 60s to mid 70s - priced below $120K. Of course, you can't tell condition of the property (or the neighborhood) from realtor.com, but are there any issues with this area that should concern me...or is it just typical of a subdivision of that era?

I'm going to Murphreesboro this weekend for a one day visit (golf!) with a friend..and I'm really tempted to go back to Cookeville to spend one night before returning to Memphis. If Ralph's was open on Sunday it would be a done deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,619 times
Hmmm. I looked up the Fiesta Drive general area (couldn't find Holiday Trace) and it's in the area that is sometimes fine, sometimes eh, from my personal perspective only. I think it's a bit out of the city limits, which is also not a huge deal at all. There is nothing inherently wrong with homes from the 50s and 60s and some of them are probably a much better deal/better built than some of the newer homes. I think it's one of those things where you are going to have to check it out for yourself, like you thought. For me, we looked at some houses in that general area and it just wasn't for me, but like I said--so highly subjective! It's not a bad area or anything like that. There's a certain sort of intangible at play here that is so highly subjective, you know? $120K for a 1600 sf house for Cookeville doesn't sound outrageously cheap, though.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:29 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
OK, I can't get Cookeville out of my mind...so I've been doing quite a bit of searching on realtor.com to narrow down the areas where I might eventually move...

I've noticed some houses in the Holiday Trace/Fiesta Drive area that appear to be priced lower than I would expect....3/2 with 2 car garage, maybe 1600-1700 sq ft, appear to be built in the mid 60s to mid 70s - priced below $120K. Of course, you can't tell condition of the property (or the neighborhood) from realtor.com, but are there any issues with this area that should concern me...or is it just typical of a subdivision of that era?

I'm going to Murphreesboro this weekend for a one day visit (golf!) with a friend..and I'm really tempted to go back to Cookeville to spend one night before returning to Memphis. If Ralph's was open on Sunday it would be a done deal!
Believe me, there have been many Sundays I wish I could've gone to Cookeville for a Ralph's twist donut.

Looking at a map, it looks like Fiesta Drive is near the Park West subdivision (which is a nice area developed in the last few years) which means it's been recently annexed into the city. It's right off I-40 so I don't know if there's much interstate noise there.

Since that area has been outside the city limits forever, there's been no zoning there which means even if the house you're looking at is nice, it could be next to something trashy. But keep in mind that what people around Cookeville consider "trashy" is nothing like what people in Memphis consider trashy.

However, I'm looking at realtor.com right now and see several houses for sale on Fiesta Drive. That does seem mighty suspicious. I wonder why so many homes are for sale on the same little street.

I wonder if Holiday Trace was misspelled? Or maybe Holiday Trace is the name of the subdivision and not the name of the street? There's a Christmas Drive near there, I wonder if that's in "Holiday Trace"?

The general name of the area where Fiesta Drive is located is Holladay. I think the Church of Christ there is called Holladay Church of Christ. So maybe the realtor wrote Holiday instead of Holladay? I don't know.

Anyway, I agree with Wordy, the price you quoted for a 3BR/2BA home in Cookeville seems like a good deal but not a steal. And with all the other homes on the same street for sale, I might be a little weary. But in general that's a nice area, and it's very convenient to Burgess Falls, I-40, and "Restaurant Row."

Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks. I'll check it out next time I'm there. You're right "Holiday" Trace was shown on one as the subdivision, instead of "Holladay". I'm not too concerned at several homes being for sale in the same area. That's not that uncommon right now with the housing market being in the tank. Lots of people being forced to sell, lots of houses being on the market for a long time, lots of people trying to sell so they can take advantage of the market and move up. A drive through the area should tell the tale...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM

Cookeville is a really fun place to look for a house. There's just such an assortment of different areas and all kinds of price ranges. When we looked a few years ago, we went all over Cookeville. Sometimes I still wonder where a certain neighborhood was--we got sort of overwhelmed near the end and I just lost track of what was where. I was taking my children to a sleepover a few months ago and realized the neighborhood looked familiar--then I saw one of the homes we had looked at and sort of went "Ohhhhhhhhh. THAT's where it is."

There's still one area that was up almost on a little mountain (or maybe it really was a little mountain?) that I would love to find. The drive was amazing.

Have fun! It doesn't seem like the real estate market has tanked here but I have noticed there are more homes for sale in general than when we were looking. We recently had two homes sell in our subdivision in the last few months and now there is not one thing for sale in the whole neighborhood of a hundred homes or so. They did take a while, but they sold!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 AM

That mountain drive sounds like Brotherton Mountain Road. The drive from Monterey to Allgood on that road is great!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks, JCP. I will check it out, preferably while it's still warm enough to do it with the top down!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
That mountain drive sounds like Brotherton Mountain Road. The drive from Monterey to Allgood on that road is great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Thanks, JCP. I will check it out, preferably while it's still warm enough to do it with the top down!
I love that drive! Whenever I go to Cookeville I usually get off I-40 at Monterey and take that little road down the mountain into Algood, or you can turn left at Brotherton which becomes Buck Mountain Road and then East Broad Street and puts you right downtown after driving by some beautiful neighborhoods and a nice golf course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville