Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times

Advertisements

I am considering a family vacation in the crossiville area the week after christmas and heading into new years. Could someone tell me about entertainment, attractons nearby, weather etc. How far is the nearest skiing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Default nearest skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerec View Post
I am considering a family vacation in the crossiville area the week after christmas and heading into new years. Could someone tell me about entertainment, attractons nearby, weather etc. How far is the nearest skiing ?
I would say Gatlingburg about 110 miles east >>>>>>

Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 AM

36,497 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Honestly, Crossville, TN isnt exactly a vacation hot spot, especially in the dead of winter. The weather that time of year can vary, but generally wet and mild.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,386 times
Default loving Crossville

We moved to Crossville from Indiana in September of 2008. We find the area much better than we were led to believe in the information we had gotten. We knew the area was beautiful here because we had made several trips looking around. We were plesantly suprised by the friendleness and helpfulness of the people we have met. Moving here has been a great experience for us. We are retired and not interested in Golf but love fishing and nature so it is the perfect place for us even with all the golf here. We have a wonderful playhouse that produce wonderful musicals, lots of lakes one State park right outside of the city limits, Falls Creek Falls is only about 40 miles away, and many other State parks in the aarea within 40-50 miles. We are located in a triangle between Nashville, Chatannoga and Knoxville, making it an easy drive to all the big cities if we need to go there. The largest city with big shopping centers are only 35 miles away but we find most everything we need here in Crossville. Several nationally known food stores, superwalmart, K-mart and many smaller individual shops. We have only had snow twice and about an inch each time!!! Schools do shut down here with only that amt. of snow though so be prepared for that. We love being close to the mountains and tha fact that we can go anytime we want to here for the day. We love Crossville and think it is a wonderful place to retire.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
Originally Posted by Jillian
If you are black, don't move to Crossville, they don't allow black people there. Look it up. Same for two other places in TN. I live near there, a city 3xs the size, 3% of our population is black and they are segregated over to Bushtown. That should give you some idea of the small towns in TN.

btw........I'm not black but I have a gay black friend here which makes it doubly worse for him.

Jullian,
I am black and I am from Cookeville. What you just quoted is definately wrong!!!!! I never lived in Bushtown although I do have relatives there. Like everything else in the world things change with time. When I was growing up it was mostly where black people lived but not all and we were not segregated because of our color. Before you go stating your opinion get the facts first! As far as being gay and living in Cookeville, the homophobes are everywhere in America not just Cookeville. And it is the black people that are the ones not so excepting because of the christian belief and morals we were brought up in.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
Any realtors here from the Crossville area? Fairfield Glade we visited 21 years ago. It was just developing. Looked appealing then and now.
Have questions:
1. 55 inches of rain in Crossville. Looks like normal average is just under 5 inches a rain per month. How many days does it rain out of the month? Does the rain last all day?
2. I can't tolerate humidity, very little humidity felt there?

There is a lot of humidity, but I think It's not nearly as bad as FL. It's not as intensely hot and doesn't make you want to die. We have been having a very rainy year this year. I've been here almost 5 years and I feel that it is just too unpredictable to say what the weather is going to be like. BUT, just wait a little while and it will change. Also, on the plateau no matter what the forecasters say it will probably be the opposite.

Crossville is a very nice place. The only thing is that the locals do not like change and they don't appreciate anyone telling them how to do their business. On that note, especially if you are planning to build yourself, you may want to be there during the building process. Make sure you inspect everything before you sign off on anything. My husband works in landscaping and they are always fixing problems that the builders slap together. The building codes are very dicey too, non existent it seems in some places. When we first moved up here we lived in an older home and the whole house was not level. All the door entryways you could look at and see they did not know how to use a level.

As for shopping: you can get what you need here. If you can't find it or want to take a trip go to Cookeville or Knoxville, enjoy the day and when you get back to Crossville and there is no traffic you can appreciate the small town even more.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Default to bones

that is hilarious!! Makes me want to move there! I think I'd fit right in!!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
1. you must learn to pronounce the city name. It is CROSS-VULL.

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Crossville has its own version of traffic rules...the truck with the exhaust goes first at a 4-way stop. The truck with the biggest tires goes after that.

3. All directions start with, "go down to Wal-Mart"...which is the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end.

4. The Chamber of Commerce says parking after dark in the City should be "pretty safe"

5. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10:00. The evening rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:00. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning

6. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

7. Lantana Road can only be correctly pronounced by a native.

8. Stop signs, traffic lights and turn lanes are consistently changing. They are moved around in the middle of the night to make the next days driving a bit more exciting.

9. Watch very carefully for road hazards such as deer, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cows, horses, pot holes, cats. pieces of other cars, truck tires, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits and crows feeding on any of these items.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been " accidentally activated."

11. All old ladies with blue hair in a pick up truck have the right of way.

12. The minimum acceptable speed on the section between Main Street and I-40 is 85. Anything less is considered downright sissy. This is a Cross-Vull's version of NASCAR track.

13. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously.

14. Never stare at the driver of a car with their name stickered on the window.

15. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 55 zone ... you are considered a road hazard, and will be " flipped off" accordingly.

16. Ground clearance of at least 12 inches is recommended all vehicles.

17. It is better to stay off the roads on Saturdays, as 3 out of 4 drivers have had way too much or too little to drink.

18. It is good and honorable thing to have at least one head light not working on a car.

19. Yeah the mountains are pretty, but how 'bout the Outlet Mall!

20. Don't ask anyone about Oak Ridge. We know. They know we know. We know they know we know. We just aren't supposed to say anything about it.

3. Directions are also given by "Turn at the old Miller Place", or "Turn when you get to the goat."

7. I have finally gotten use to calling Vandever Rd "Vandaveer Rd."

13. It is okay to honk as long as you know the people, especially while passing their house. It's Crossvilles way of saying hi! Also, don't forget the two finger handwave as you drive by another vehicle (this is usually between pick up truck drivers).

See yuns! Preciate Ya!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I have noticed over the last several trips... People in general say " Nice day on the Plateau".. in passing and this is coming from the younger people.. reality check.. most of the men wear their base ball caps the correct way.. bill forward.. It is amazing the politeness of the younger people.. I would expect it from my age group.. the grey hairs but over all I see it from the 20--30--40 age group. It's at the lumber store.. the local restaurant...the feed store...super market.. please..thanks..have a nice day!! just every where you go so refreshing........ from Florida's in your face bling crap !!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 AM

36,497 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
It is amazing the politeness of the younger people.. I would expect it from my age group.. the grey hairs but over all I see it from the 20--30--40 age group. It's at the lumber store.. the local restaurant...the feed store...super market.. please..thanks..have a nice day!! just every where you go so refreshing........ from Florida's in your face bling crap !!
I had a young man, maybe 20, step in front of me at the minute mart to open BOTH doors for me. I thanked him politely and he responded "yes ma'am". OK, now I feel old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville