Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 AM

240 posts, read 1,155,649 times

Advertisements

If you dont like Golf Courses then might want to look somewhere other then Crossville. It has the largest amounts of Golf Courses in the State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
BRC:
I have no intention of moving to Crossville. Knoxville is just fine for us!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 AM

630 posts, read 2,431,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, I love small downtowns. I can't stand subdivisons, strip malls and golf courses. I had enough of that in Florida to last a lifetime.

It may just be the time of year those pictures were taken. It kind of looks like that around here, now, too!

Hipster, I took the pictures in February.... it was kind of a gloomy day.
Raining a little, so, that's why I took them through the windshield.
It had snowed a couple of days earlier. They cancelled school, and by the afternoon, the snow was all gone, sun was out, and it was in the 50's.

I personally don't like Crossville either.
We went down there to check it out and move right after, but, decided that it just wasn't for us.
The best part was the downtown.
There is a lot of open area, and it is really beautiful there. Yes, there are a lot of flat areas. It's on a plateau, and there is a mountain nearby.
There are also a lot of windy roads.

Don't get me wrong... I just don't like retirement areas.
My idea of retiring isn't in a gated community, or in an area with a bunch of retirees.
We don't golf, so, the amount of golf courses is not a plus, there are a lot there.
We are older parents with a 7 year old. Too young to retire, and older than most parents with younger kids.

The only reason that we had thought Crossville in the beginning was because my Dad lived there.
Now my Dad has moved north of Nashville to White House.
We'll be down checking it out in April.

I love Tennessee, have made many trips back there since I was little.
A lot of my relatives live there, my Mom was born there.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.
I just wish we were already there, and not here... LOL...

Moderator cut: link cut
Have a GREAT day,

Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times
Default A couple of pics north of town

Old 01-06-2007, 07:06 AM

132 posts, read 590,678 times
Those first pics don't do any justice. They are from the old downtown area. Just a very small part of Crossville as a whole. Hwy 127 which goes through the city is 4 laned with many new businesses. Lowes, Super Walmart and quite a bit of new national food chains. And not all fast food. I like it a lot and tend to spend more time there than in Cookeville. I'm not a golfer but I think Crossville has about 6-8 of them. I've only ran into a couple of 'em.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 10,934 times
Bones your photos are really beautiful!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:38 AM

630 posts, read 2,431,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubtin View Post
Those first pics don't do any justice. They are from the old downtown area. Just a very small part of Crossville as a whole. Hwy 127 which goes through the city is 4 laned with many new businesses. Lowes, Super Walmart and quite a bit of new national food chains. And not all fast food. I like it a lot and tend to spend more time there than in Cookeville. I'm not a golfer but I think Crossville has about 6-8 of them. I've only ran into a couple of 'em.
This is true.
Once you leave the downtown area, the road widens into a four laner, and there are a lot of new businessess all along that road.
Besides having the usual chain stores, there is a really nice Outlet Mall.
The freeway isn't too far down the road.
The area that we were driving from was Tansi.
That's where the winding roads were.
A lot of mobile and modular homes there, as well as, old houses.

My Dads property was about five miles from town in a very wooded area.
Driving into the town that way, the area looks a lot different.
Old houses, and farmland. Old looking gas stations, and businesses.

Once you drive past the downtown area, you see the usual strip malls, fast food, coffee shops, and stores.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 114,061 times
Are there any nice small surounding towns within 10 miles?? im from a town with 1400 people and Crossville seems a little big for me. Ive been looking on city data but it doesnt show all little villages...

Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRebel8202 View Post
Are there any nice small surounding towns within 10 miles?? im from a town with 1400 people and Crossville seems a little big for me. Ive been looking on city data but it doesnt show all little villages...
Crossville is kind of isolated, although Crab Orchard is a small town in Cumberland County about 10 miles east of Crossville. It's got a population of about 900. It's actually a beautiful, mountainous area (Crossville is pretty flat) and is famous for the crab orchard stone which is mined there. It's a pinkish-tan stone and is popular in the area. In fact, my grandfather in Florida drove to Crab Orchard to pick up some crab orchard stone for his fireplace in Florida back in the 1950s. But anyway, few people live near the mines because the whole area is covered with dust. Still, you might want to take a look at Crab Orchard.

Monterey is about 15 miles west of Crossville, it's in Putnam County and has a population of about 2,800. It's also fairly mountainous and has a nice little main street that hasn't changed much in 50 years. The big thing to do in town is hang out at the Dairy Queen. Monterey used to be somewhat of a resort town, people from Nashville would take the train up the mountain to Monterey in the summers and stay in the old hotels in town. Only one of those old hotels remains. But they are rebuilding the train tracks from Monterey to Cookeville and are also building a bike path along the train tracks all the way down the mountain to Cookeville. It's a nice area.

There's also a very nice Mennonite community near Monterey where you can buy wonderful Mennonite and Amish furniture, jams, butter, cheeses, etc.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:49 PM

132 posts, read 590,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Monterey is about 15 miles west of Crossville, it's in Putnam County and has a population of about 2,800. It's also fairly mountainous and has a nice little main street that hasn't changed much in 50 years. The big thing to do in town is hang out at the Dairy Queen. Monterey used to be somewhat of a resort town, people from Nashville would take the train up the mountain to Monterey in the summers and stay in the old hotels in town. Only one of those old hotels remains. But they are rebuilding the train tracks from Monterey to Cookeville and are also building a bike path along the train tracks all the way down the mountain to Cookeville. It's a nice area.

There's also a very nice Mennonite community near Monterey where you can buy wonderful Mennonite and Amish furniture, jams, butter, cheeses, etc.
We have a home address of Monterey although we are in Overton County. Our property is very mountainous. I can't wait for the train tracks to be finished. I hear it is actually going to go through to Jamestown. I'm hoping the downtown district will get a new face lift. Mayberry maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville