U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,786 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a small indiana town called North Manchester and it's really cute! We have a downtown area with TWO traffic lights! WOW!!! Any more than three or four cars in a row on main street and it's probably a parade!!!! Anyway, yes we too are thinking of relocating to Tenn. But because of my husbands work, we have to wait for a job opening in the company, which they post immediately to their company phone. we're hoping to get a notice of a position opening in the next few years in the Knoxville area. We really like the small town atmosphere and live on a 5 acre farm right now. I've seen Crossville's website and it's very impressive, unfortunately for us, we would not be able to move to that particular area but that's the kind of place we're looking for! Sooooooo, if anyone out there knows of a place like crossville, but around Knoxville, please let me know!!!! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 06:19 PM
TjP

1 posts, read 4,821 times
Came down from cold snowy WisConSin a few years back.

Summers has days that it's cooler down here than up there.

Have a few pictures of our homestead at Moderator cut: link cut
For real city life and shopping we just go East 60 miles down the hill to Knoxville. Take 12 miles off that if you in Crab Orchard,

It's 70 mph most of the way.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 15,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian View Post
If you are black, don't move to Crossville, they don't allow black people there. Look it up. Same for two other places in TN. I live near there, a city 3xs the size, 3% of our population is black and they are segregated over to Bushtown. That should give you some idea of the small towns in TN.

btw........I'm not black but I have a gay black friend here which makes it doubly worse for him.
Being gay here is definitely a bummer.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 12,033 times
Shopping is okay in Crossville, but it is only an hour from the Turkey Creek area of Knoxville which has just about everything you would want. I live in Crossville and other than grocery shopping I do most of my shopping in Knoxville. We do have an outlet mall in Crossville, too.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 PM

75 posts, read 246,921 times
I live in Crossville and it is a nice town. It is small and shopping is limited. The mall is okay, it's clean and there are a few stores there: Liz Claiborne, A couple of shoe stores, a kitcheware store, Vanity Fair, and there is a new clothing store, and a Dress Barn. There are a variety of grocery stores, Wed is senior day at Krogers. There are even a few good restaraunts. Cookeville is about 30 minutes away to the west and Knoxville is 30 minutes to the east. Temperatures are mild and the humidity stays pretty low except around August.
Most of the people are friendly, if they are not they'll usually just ignore you. People will actually turn around and talk to you when you are waiting in line. People seem to move slower. I have learned that this is not such a bad thing. There are also lots of churches to chose from and a few golf courses. There are also some good hiking trails around. The Cumberland State Park is beautiful.
There are even a few African Americans, not many, but a few. My neighbor is one and she seems perfectly normal.
Sale taxes are high even on food in TN, almost 10%, but property taxes are low. I have 3 parcels and my tangible tax together are about the same as one tax bill on my property I had in FL. Land is cheaper, but don't count on it staying that way for long.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 42,359 times
Default It's down there!!!!

This is from up on renegade july and october 2006

Hope the pics work....first time doing it. Can't wait to get back up there...4 weeks isn't enough time!!!

Crossville TN Master Thread-100_3059.jpg

Crossville TN Master Thread-100_2876.jpg

Crossville TN Master Thread-100_2824.jpg

Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRebel8202 View Post
Im looking to move to Crossville,TN and i was wondering whats the town like, the people, the schools, hunting, and more....and if anyone could send me some pics of Crossville that would be great!
my husband pastors a church in crossville i can tell you i know where a really great baptist church is. my husband the pastor is really big on hunting, coon, deer turkey. he could tell you more about the hunting. crossville is a very pretty place the people over all are really nice.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 AM

709 posts, read 1,213,184 times
WLTG, that second photo is just stunning. It looks like a postcard.

Crossville has a cool movie theater, way way way better than the Cookeville theater. I do know that. They also have some sort of outlet mall, although I have never been. Lots of Crossville people come to Cookeville to shop. My perception prior to moving to Cookeville was that Crossville is a more bustling, bigger place--it's not.

I am somewhat familiar with that mine at Crab Orchard (from driving past it). The overhead photos do not give you the full picture of how much dust is on everything. It's pretty bad and really depressing looking. I don't know how far out the dust extends, though. Right around the mine, it's absolutely everywhere, but I'm sure it lessens as you move away from that immediate area.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 AM

9,086 posts, read 21,718,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
WLTG, that second photo is just stunning. It looks like a postcard.

Crossville has a cool movie theater, way way way better than the Cookeville theater. I do know that. They also have some sort of outlet mall, although I have never been. Lots of Crossville people come to Cookeville to shop. My perception prior to moving to Cookeville was that Crossville is a more bustling, bigger place--it's not.
It's embarrassing how dumpy the movie theaters are in Cookeville. Fortunately, Carmike just broke ground on a new, 12-screen, all-digital theater behind the current Highland 10 in Cookeville (the Highland 10 will be torn down).

And Consolidated Theatres is also looking at Cookeville to build new movie theaters. They're the ones who built the new theaters in Mount Juliet.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Well there's really no such thing as a "town" in the traditional sense. There's a small collection of gas stations near the I-40 exit and a couple of restaurants, but that's about it. It's very rural, very beautiful. But yeah the mine is pretty omnipresent. On the other hand, the stone that comes from the mine is beautiful.
Of Course there is a town! Sorry to jump in. I was just browsing the internet, saw this thread and just registered with the forum just for the sake of disproving this statement.

Sounds to me like the only thing you've ever seen of Crossville is the exit that leads into it. I'm 19 and was born and raised in Crossville, and so were my parents, for the most part. So let me tell you a little bit about it.

It's the golf capital of Tennessee. Over 200 holes of golf overall, making it a prime target for retirees. Which is pretty much tells you what the town has become. A retirement center for Northerners. Crossville is also home to the historical Homesteads. You can find out about the homestead projects by studying the Great Depression era of U.S. history. The projects were a branch of all of the TVA what not, and was an idea of Delano's First Lady. Crossville also contains the Cumberland Mountain State Park, which is quite nice considering the town's formerly relatively low size. Within the park is a bridge and dam, which are the largest steel-free masonry structures ever built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, a remnant of the Homestead Projects. Northerners are often eating in the restaurant in the park because, as I understand it, ya'll ain't used to such good Southern cookin. (sorry, just had to say it)

Highway 127 runs through the heart of the town, as well as throughout a good chunk of the U.S., just check a map. The 127 yardsale takes place on the road about a week out of the year, there are yardsales on either side of the road for miles and miles, a great source of fun outdoor shopping, and a not-so-fun source of Very Slow Traffic. The town just opened a new high school this year, bringing the total up to two! On one side of town is the old main street, which still has viable businesses located within it. On the other side of town is the newer stuff, Wal-mart supercenter, Ruby Tuesdays, The Rocky Top 10(our brand new movie theater.), Lowes Home Improvement, and a few more restaurants and businesses that I don't care to list. We also have a live theatre, the historical Cumberland County Playhouse. I've acted in several shows there myself. People come from all over the U.S. to see shows there, seriously. Most often, especially recently, shows sell out rather quickly.

The people are nice. I'll just be honest with you though. They used to be nicer. I don't want to offend anyone here, but the locals are just plain tired of the influx of Northerers. Ahem... Yankees. It's not that we're prejudice, even though some are. It's just that... Yankees are, by Southern standards, Rude. Most Southern societies are very social. We wave at everybody down here, and the Yankees just stare at you like you're an idiot. Now this isn't everybody, but it sure seems like the majority. In addition, Northerners seem to make habits of trying to change the town. Just the other day, my father was listening to a woman from Indiana talk about what she wanted to change about this town. "It needs to get to be AT LEAST as big as Cookeville, so we can get a few good restaurants around here" "I was just so sick of where I was living back in Indiana. So Crowded, bumper to bumper traffic..."

Gah! You have no idea how angry that makes us! She hated the big city where she lived, the traffic and such. But she wants our town to be bigger! What does she think'll happen?! She also mentioned some crap about how she was telling all her friends in Indiana about this place, which leads me to another rant.

The northerners living here typically like to hang around each other, which is understandable. But they even live in their own communities, like Fairfield Glade, a subdivision with houses 4 foot apart and security and all the comforts of the North. We don't bite you know! it's OK to talk to us outside of necessary businesses exchanges! It's ok to talk to Strangers about ANYTHING! Almost anything. We love to small talk. The Northern attitude seems to be to communicate to strangers only when necessary. That's not the case here! Just be friendly! Speak with a smile and look us in the eye. You'll hit on a few rotten apples sure, but that's the case everywhere in the world. Don't be discouraged, because you'll probably speak to many more kind and interesting people than you will the gripes.

So now that I'm done ranting, let me give you this advice. If you are planning on moving to Crossville, or anywhere in the South. Just come and embrace what we have here. We love it here, and you can to. Just be nice, wave, talk to strangers, live and socialize with the locals, don't huddle in a corner of the town that is Northern territory, enjoy the food, sights, and sounds!

I hope you find this long post helpful, and if you have any questions, just ask! I'll probably be around!

P.S. That Limestone mine, is NOT in the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville