Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, sorry about the sad post yesterday. Today is a better day though (I'm smiling). We are going to look elsewhere for the home of our dreams. I thought about it long and hard and well, if that's the reception we are going to be looking forward to and we have'nt even left the state, I would not want to put my children in that kind of environment................Final answer!!

I explain to my friends what was going on and they were upset and wanted to make some phone call to which I said, no, it is what it is! We will be looking elsewhere where the color of our skin in just that, THE COLOR OF OUR SKIN! LOL.

I can't stop people from being who they are, vice versa. What I have learn though, throughout this ordeal is: I had better take a long, hard look at MYSELF, and make sure that my own views are not making someone else feel like I did yesterday.

So from here on out, here's to looking at MYSELF in the mirror, the search for my ideal home continues.......................

Any opinions.......welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Hi, sorry about the sad post yesterday. Today is a better day though (I'm smiling). We are going to look elsewhere for the home of our dreams. I thought about it long and hard and well, if that's the reception we are going to be looking forward to and we have'nt even left the state, I would not want to put my children in that kind of environment................Final answer!!

I explain to my friends what was going on and they were upset and wanted to make some phone call to which I said, no, it is what it is! We will be looking elsewhere where the color of our skin in just that, THE COLOR OF OUR SKIN! LOL.

I can't stop people from being who they are, vice versa. What I have learn though, throughout this ordeal is: I had better take a long, hard look at MYSELF, and make sure that my own views are not making someone else feel like I did yesterday.

So from here on out, here's to looking at MYSELF in the mirror, the search for my ideal home continues.......................
If Jamestown doesn't fit your needs, maybe somewhere else in Tennessee will. Maybe you missed my earlier post, but Livingston might be better for you since it has a wildly popular African American mayor. Livingston is in Overton County which is adjacent to Fentress County (Jamestown).

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If Jamestown doesn't fit your needs, maybe somewhere else in Tennessee will. Maybe you missed my earlier post, but Livingston might be better for you since it has a wildly popular African American mayor. Livingston is in Overton County which is adjacent to Fentress County (Jamestown).

Good luck in your search.

Thanks, and no I did'nt miss your post, I saw it. I had my heart set on Jamestown where we could be close to our friends, just did'nt know it would be such a fight to get a listing of properties, much less the blatant prejudice.

So I will definitely research Livingston. Thank you JMT.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Betsey, when I started looking for info from TN realtors...I received very little or no feedback from several realtors. Seemed like they were just too busy at that point in time. Then I came accross a couple of fantastic realtors then went beyond the norm....

Keep the faith....

Look at the bright side....at least the realtor didn't lead y'all on just to make a sale at your expense....

Last edited by Bones; 06-21-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Betsey, when I started looking for info from TN realtors...I received very little or no feedback from several realtors. Seemed like they were just too busy at that point in time. Then I came accross a couple of fantastic realtors then went beyond the norm....

Keep the faith....

Look at the bright side....at least the realtor didn't lead y'all on just to make a sale at your expense....
I know, I spoke to quite a few, none of them followed up, not one. There's only so "much" realtors in Jamestown. Maybe they did me a favor?

Keeping the faith. Thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I know, I spoke to quite a few, none of them followed up, not one. There's only so "much" realtors in Jamestown. Maybe they did me a favor?

Keeping the faith. Thanks
Things happen for reasons we can not explain. One realtor worked with me for over a year to find my log cabin. Sitting on a lake was an extra bonus thrown in....

Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Things happen for reasons we can not explain. One realtor worked with me for over a year to find my log cabin. Sitting on a lake was an extra bonus thrown in....

I can just picture you! Maybe I'm being too impatient....Just want to live away from the "noise" of life and just live! Especially the constant preparing for hurricane season year after year, it takes a toll on the children. We were trying to beat the hurricane season. The weather is so "different: this year. Understand? Would like to get up in the morning and see the wonder of what the Lord has created. We fish a lot here, the children enjoy nature as little as they are.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Don't want a large city, prefer to live on the outskirts, of town, yet close enough for the children to get back and forth to school. Suggestions anyone?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Betsey, where ever ya decide to go....I would rent for awhile to really search out the area.....

Cookeville area might be a thought and not far from Jamestown....

Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Betsey,

Sorry for your trouble, but I dont think your race has anything to do with it. I heard the same thing about realtors not getting back for sooo many ppl. You would think they would jump on it given the market. I believe her comment about diversity was just to make sure you were aware the area in mostly white so you wouldnt be surprised and feel you were making a mistake. Most realtors here do it on the side so they are busy. Moderator cut: realtor promotion is not allowed

You mentioned moving to a slower pace, well this is a prime example of that slower pace. I know it is frustrating, but when you move here you will find it typical that getting anything done takes 10X longer in the south. We are so slow that you have to check our pulse sometimes.

When my nephew moved here from Ohio, he almost blew a fuse trying to get his house built. He was so used to the fast pace he was really impatient when people didnt jump right on it. After a few years he has slowed down a gotten use to how things are done.

I hope your reconsider and settle in Jamestown.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-15-2009 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville