U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 PM

19,057 posts, read 21,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choffel View Post
Tek_Freek,
MY wife and I are considering a trip to check out Fairfield Glade in February as a potential retirement spot. What 3 or 4 things did you like most about it to purchase a lot?
I wandered back....

1. The area. I'm talking about the hills (mountains) trees, rivers, wildlife, etc. Gotta have green.

2. Weather. We're in Iowa. You can figure it out. I'm selling the snow blower on the way out of town.

3. Cost of living. My wife's federal pension won't be taxed and the overall cost of living is much lower than here.

4. People. Just pay attention to most of them here that are from TN. Notice how nice they are?

5. Medical and recreational facilities. Good and being improved all the time. Plenty to do: Tons of clubs, trips, etc. Allegiant Air now flies from Knoxville to Vegas. Yes!!!!

6. The ocean is a heck of a lot closer than it is from here!

On a more specific note: The lot. Nice size - about 120 x 180, faces south and slopes gently down to a 3 acre pond. It's on a cul-de-sac that has one house on it now. The end of the cul-de-sac (the "pocket") is common property and should never be built on. The lot is so thickly wooded that the surveyor couldn't verify the stakes at lakeside because he couldn't get to them. Sewer, electric, and cable are already in place, all we have to do is have them connected.

If you're curious it's on Valarian Terrace and there are lots for sale. One next to ours, a bunch across the street, and some at the intersection and around the corner on Valarian Drive. If you use Google Maps to look for it it's labeled New Road off Valarian Drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
jmk

15 posts, read 22,597 times
Default Age restrictions

There are no age restrictions. Not many school aged children, but the buses do pick some up. Because of so many activities most 75 year olds look and act like 60 year olds. Great place to live. Diverse population with all parts of the country well represented.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 PM
jmk

15 posts, read 22,597 times
Default Medical and shopping

UT in Knoxville (70 miles) and Vanderbuilt in Nashville (130 miles) have outstanding medical facilities if you need the best. Crossville and Cookeville medical facilities are as good as or better than you'll find in most communities of our size.

Shopping, We also have a Lowe's and Staples in Crossville and are getting a major grocery store in FFG. We are 30 miles from Sams, Sears, etc and 50 miles from major shopping including Target, Borders, Gap etc.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM

129 posts, read 301,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

We actually considered buying until we were told that if for any reason we decided to not keep the lot that they would buy back the lot "at the price we paid for it". Raw deal, that. If the lot value goes up $15,000 they get the profit and you get the short end of the stick.
I don't know of ANY place that'll BUY YOUR LOT BACK from you...most land deals are YOUR LAND once you close on it and if you don't want it later, you put it on the market and sell it....actually a place that gives you a 'buy-back guarantee' ought to be considered a good thing....

My question is......Do they require you to sell it back to them...or was it just an offer, if you don't want to have to hassle with selling it?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,994,056 times
In 1998 I spent 2 days in Crossville. I was "checking" the area out for future retirement and a lady realtor said she would give me a quick tour of the city and show me a few houses she had for sale to get a "feel" for the area.

She proudly showed me the city and the Tansi area. I asked about Fairfield Glade and she clammed up and stated the people there act too "high class".

Was she honest or does Fairfield Glade have "their own" realtors and the company she worked for was excluded/

The reaction when I mentioned Fairfield Glade sure seemed strange.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM

129 posts, read 301,015 times
Some in Crossville are jealous of the success out in the Glade....I'd ignore it/her...and go buy where you want to go....

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

65 posts, read 130,779 times
It's been a while since I've been to FFG, but maybe I should take another look. One thing that discouraged me was that it seemed a bit remote. How long would it take most residents to reach a decent grocery store or restaurant? How long to reach Turkey Creek?

Is the area cooler than Cookeville in the winter? More snow?

Do the residents normally shop for groceries in Crossville?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 23,364 times
Where in NJ??

Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 PM

12,024 posts, read 11,499,066 times
FFG is 5-8 miles north east of Crossville...... Golf capital of TN

Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM

395 posts, read 584,073 times
Food City is building a store in FFG, due to open in the spring. Currently, when we are there, we do shop in Crossville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville