U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,791,840 times

Advertisements

I've seen more things said about Cookeville than I have seen for other places in that general vacinity. I would appreciate information from residents of Crossville, Monterey, and Sparta to find out more about your communities. How do you feel about people moving to your communities from out of state? Is there an abundance of property for sale available in your area? Are you able to find all of the goods and services that you need, or do you have to drive to Knoxville or Nashville for certain things? How do you feel about the availability of healthcare in your area?

If there are any other places between Knoxville and Nashville that you feel we should consider, please mention them as well.

I am asking for information because my wife and I are considering your area for retirement. We plan to be part of whatever community we settle in and we want to enjoy the kind of life people from the south have. I am originally from the south (Louisiana) and I desperately want to return to the south. Any information you provide will be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 38,343 times
I am from Sparta, send me a e-mail and I will be glad to help with any questions I can. I will pass on my phone number easier to talk with you. Answering any questions you may have.
kdavis_erg@yahoo.com

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 AM

11,246 posts, read 11,167,857 times
Cross Monterey off your list. You basically go to Cookeville or Crossville for everything except maybe Church, save-a-lot, ice cream at the DQ or coffee at the diner. Unless that is what you want. There is a lot of property and homes for sale. There are also "housing developments". Cumberland Cove, Wilder Mnt. and I am seeing signs for "The Bluffs" but the property is expensive. There are many folks from out of state. Mostly they are welcome with open arms.
IMO, Crossville seems more of a retirement town. It has a slower pace and is more "country". Hope that helps.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 AM

13,660 posts, read 7,132,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
IMO, Crossville seems more of a retirement town. It has a slower pace and is more "country". Hope that helps.
(Quiet it's a secret)......

Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 AM

9,060 posts, read 21,477,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Cross Monterey off your list. You basically go to Cookeville or Crossville for everything except maybe Church, save-a-lot, ice cream at the DQ or coffee at the diner. Unless that is what you want. There is a lot of property and homes for sale. There are also "housing developments". Cumberland Cove, Wilder Mnt. and I am seeing signs for "The Bluffs" but the property is expensive. There are many folks from out of state. Mostly they are welcome with open arms.
And Philips Shoes! I drive all the way from Knoxville to Monterey just to buy my boots and hiking shoes. I'm going to add that the DQ in Monterey just seems to be better than any other DQ I've ever been to. I don't know why. Maybe they always put an extra squirt of fudge in their milkshakes or something.

Anyway, the OP also asked about Sparta. I think Sparta is a nice little town. It's connected to Cookeville via a 4-lane highway, and the schools there aren't too bad. Being close to Fall Creek Falls is also a good thing.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM

11,246 posts, read 11,167,857 times
Quote:
And Philips Shoes! I drive all the way from Knoxville to Monterey just to buy my boots and hiking shoes. I'm going to add that the DQ in Monterey just seems to be better than any other DQ I've ever been to. I don't know why. Maybe they always put an extra squirt of fudge in their milkshakes or something.
Yeah. I forgot about the shoes. Jack did have a store in Cookeville, not sure if it is still opened or not. JMT have you tried the hot fudge cake? Yummy.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM

11,128 posts, read 8,633,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I've seen more things said about Cookeville than I have seen for other places in that general vacinity. I would appreciate information from residents of Crossville, Monterey, and Sparta to find out more about your communities. How do you feel about people moving to your communities from out of state? Is there an abundance of property for sale available in your area? Are you able to find all of the goods and services that you need, or do you have to drive to Knoxville or Nashville for certain things? How do you feel about the availability of healthcare in your area?

If there are any other places between Knoxville and Nashville that you feel we should consider, please mention them as well.

I am asking for information because my wife and I are considering your area for retirement. We plan to be part of whatever community we settle in and we want to enjoy the kind of life people from the south have. I am originally from the south (Louisiana) and I desperately want to return to the south. Any information you provide will be appreciated.
Well you first need to ask whether you are looking very rural, just country, small townish (town and country), or more suburbia.

If I had to give you an overall, I would say that Sparta is small townish but has a lot of small industry/factory type employment. Crossville used to be a mix of small commerical and agriculture but with the arrival of the retirement area known as Fairfield Glade, it has kind of morphed to accommodate this. Crossville still tries really hard to draw in new industry through tax incentives to larger and industrial businesses and it is no where near as small townish as it was just 10 years ago. Cookeville is the largest and has the most employment and educational opportunities but the housing is a little more expensive. Livingston just to the north is the most countryish of all of them and retains its old style charm, but it also has the fewest employment opportunities unless you are willing to drive to Cookeville which isn't too far. Monterey is pretty small but it is in the middle of all of them. Property is reasonable and available and the commute to any of the other previous towns listed is less than 20 min. However Monterey has the chicken plant which has drawn a lot of Mexican migrants (about 20% of the population) and for some this negates Monterey as a choice.

hope that helps

Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,791,840 times
Thanks to all of you for replying to my post. My original post is almost one year old, but I still appreciate your input. Since I submitted that post, my wife and I purchased a 4 acre lot (last August) in Cumberland Cove, near Monterey. We liked Cumberland Cove because of all the trees and rolling hills. In addition, Cumberland Cove has some light restrictions that will help to protect our surroundings and property values. We will be retiring there in 6 to 7 years. We can't wait! Thanks again to everyone.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,633,502 times
Welcome to neighborhood, neighbor

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,473 times
Default Mike

I'm looking for a reputable building contractor for a home on Center Hill Lake. I saw one of your posts that mentioned a Mennonite contractor in the area. Can you give me a contact or other suggestions? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville