Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
We finally got moved to Cookeville in May of this year. In spite of unpacking way too many boxes, we have been checking out the eateries. Have been very impressed with the variety of selection so far but have not found pizza to our taste yet and still checking out the BBQ selection. Miss that there is no all U eat catfish.
Love the area. We expect to see many more retirees move to this area in the coming years.
Check out the O'Connor Fish House which is at the O'Connor Crossroads exit off Hwy 111 between Cookeville and Sparta. I've never been there, but I've heard that it's a great all-you-can-eat steak & seafood (mainly catfish) buffet like they have all over Mississippi. I believe this one is actually run by some Mississippians who moved to Cookeville and missed those buffets so they opened up their own.

What pizza places have you tried in Cookeville? I personally loooove Mama Rosa's. I've never been to D'Angelo's but I've heard it's got good pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 PM

262 posts, read 522,826 times
JMT, first of all let me thank you for your many posts over the last few years as we were deciding which square to move our game piece to. We think that we made a good decision and really love the area. This is the overall cleanest city that I have seen in a long time. Before we got our plates changed on the car we were constantly being welcomed to Ckv by very nice and friendly people.

We will check out O'Connor's as soon as we can. Thanks for the info.

We have Mama Rosa's on our list of must try next. Love this little university town with so many good places to eat.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:03 PM

231 posts, read 585,579 times
A few weeks ago, we ate at Moogie's and talked to the owner. He said that although he has over thirty years experience smokin' bbq, he's even a better catfish chef. He was in the process of installing equipment to accomodate a fish fry. I don't remember if he said everyday or just Friday & Saturday, but based upon the excellent bbq that we had, we will definitely go back again and try the catfish.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
For catfish I highly recommend Cookeville Boat Dock. It's a floating restaurant on Center Hill Lake and they serve catfish caught right there. I mean it's fresh catfish.

And loonyrich, I'm so glad you're enjoying Cookeville! Since I can't live there myself (yet) I'm glad to see others enjoying it.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 AM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Catfish huh?...

Cookeville Boat Dock is great, as JMT stated. I've got two other places to recommend. First is Twin Lakes Catfish Farm on Hwy. 56 just north of the Baxter city limits. I don't think they have a buffet but their catfish dinners are great. Caught from a pond that they raise them in right behind the restaurant. You can also catch your own and they'll clean and cook them for you right then.
The other place is Helen's Restaurant. Well known for years for their catfish buffet. I think it's weekends only but not sure. It's also on Hwy. 56 but in Jackson County, probably 5 miles or so north of Baxter.

Not in Cookeville but if you don't care to drive about 40 minutes you've gotta try the Friday night seafood buffet at the Fall Creek Falls Inn. $15 a person and it has EVERYTHING, including great fried catfish, crab legs, shrimp 3 different ways and much more. Great view over looking the lake as you eat too.

firepower

Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM

231 posts, read 585,579 times
I guess we will try the Twin Lakes Catfish Farm on Highway 56 since it is pretty close to our building site. Is there any particular night of the week when they do something special?

Thx

Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 AM

7 posts, read 15,512 times
Ocha over by Tennessee Tech kept me alive through my college years. I at there at least 3x a week! I love their sweet and sour pork, the roasted chicken, and the beef and broccoli. I alway get 1/2 noodles and 1/2 rice, an entree, and also 3 chicken balls with sweet and sour sauce.
I you are wondering, a chicken ball in just a big ball of fried dough with a piece of chicken in the middle. :0)
That place never changes, the food is always the same so you always know exactly what you're gonna get.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM

115 posts, read 319,136 times
I LOVE Ocha's spicy beef and rice. Great place to eat at a very reasonable price. I used to eat there all of the time as a college student. For around 4 or 5 dollars you can get an excellent lunch.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I ate at the twinlakes catfish farm last night. Man it was good!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 AM

179 posts, read 452,874 times
I have lots of favorites, too!! I LOVE to eat

Hands down my favorite restaurant in this town is Maddux Station - best steaks in Cookeville! They have a good (and inexpensive) lunch as well. Plus, the owner does a cooking class twice a month which is fab!!

Favorite chain is Cheddar's. For mexican, gotta be El Tapatio. BBQ - Strouds -- their sweet tea is the best! Also love pretty much everything everyone else said too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville