U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 PM

762 posts, read 955,333 times

Advertisements

JMT,

Thanks for the tips on MMKM Family Produce Market in Baxter and Muddy Pond General Store in Monterey (at least according to Mapquest itís in Monterey). We can hardly wait to check them out! My wife says we can go this week as soon as I finish constructing a fence around the chicken house we just bought so her chickens can have a nice yard with lots of grass.

Iíll post some info about our experiences from those visits . . . that weíll make after I finish the yard with lots of grass for the chickens. Yes, dear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 PM

762 posts, read 955,333 times
Default Heat? What heat?

Cncguy2000,

You wrote: ďGlad your enjoying things up there, your report will make me sleep a little better tonight. .. we are moving up there in July.Ē

Are you moving to Monterey? My son plans to move to Cookeville in July. Heís in for a shock from the heat/humidity because heís moving from Washington State. Youíre probably accustomed to it living in Gulfport, MS so itís probably going to seem cooler to you if youíre moving to this area.

Iíll tell yaí, Iíve been outside for the last couple of days working on my honey-do list and itís been a mite warmish for me. But then Iím sure Iíll get used to the heat. I mean, I shouldnít really complain because Iím sure itís 5 degrees, maybe even 10 degrees, cooler here THAN ON THE SURFACE OF THE SUN!!!!

Iím kidding. What heat?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 PM

21,673 posts, read 31,578,373 times
Uh-oh. You are REALLY going to be hot in July and August. Right now, it is gorgeous out. Just drink LOTS of water.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 PM

913 posts, read 2,500,318 times
Thumbs up They are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Weíve been here in Monterey for almost 3 weeks now and I can definitely see there are many conspiracies going on. Weíve been to Cookeville about a dozen times already and to Nashville once. Iím telling you things just arenít right.

For example, how is it that everyone can be so friendly? What's their ulterior motive, I wonder.

And whatís up with people who ask ďhow ya doiníĒ and then donít say anything else as though theyíre waiting for my answer?

And the smiling! Whatís everybody smiling about? Is it something in the water?

And stores that are open 24/7! They say itís all about convenience for the customersóget real!

And speaking of customer service, whatís the deal with all the helpful people in the stores? Is business so bad they have to be nice to people?

Here's a good one: the phone company, Frontier, installed our home and business lines and DSL all in one morning and they all work. Yeah, sure. What's gonna happen next; they'll all go out at one time and they'll claim it's our fault? And listen to this: the installers all introduced themselves and said thanks for the business! What did they REALLY mean?!

And what about the women with the southern accents; now that canít be genuine. I mean, it simply isnít possible to be that adorable all the time, now is it?

Yeah, things are definitely amiss and I intend to find out whatís going onóitís giving me a headache. NOW whereíd I put those pills!
Definitely up to something... That's why I love TN!!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:23 AM

275 posts, read 786,333 times
Moving up there in July.
Coming up looking for a house at end of may.
Anything is better that Heat and Humidity of So. Ms. in Aug.

We are looking at Cookeville area (25 Mi Radius) out of town.
some land and a nice house ( I want to grow grapes and have a nice garden)
My wifes a winehead. so we are gonna bring our muscadines up there with us
and hope they grow.

P.S. I like your name "HappyYappy"
that was my nickname in Highschool.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 AM

6,300 posts, read 15,672,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguy2000 View Post
We are looking at Cookeville area (25 Mi Radius) out of town.
some land and a nice house ( I want to grow grapes and have a nice garden)
My wifes a winehead. so we are gonna bring our muscadines up there with us
and hope they grow.
They should be okay. There are actually several wineries in Tennessee (and we used to grow two or three types of grapes in Clarksville). I'm afraid I haven't been too impressed with Tennessee wine so far.

I think the Tennessee Department of Agriculture weblist lists the wineries in Tennessee.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 AM

9,060 posts, read 21,477,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
JMT,

Thanks for the tips on MMKM Family Produce Market in Baxter and Muddy Pond General Store in Monterey (at least according to Mapquest itís in Monterey). We can hardly wait to check them out! My wife says we can go this week as soon as I finish constructing a fence around the chicken house we just bought so her chickens can have a nice yard with lots of grass.

Iíll post some info about our experiences from those visits . . . that weíll make after I finish the yard with lots of grass for the chickens. Yes, dear.
Oh, I forgot to answer your question, yes MMKM market does sell fresh eggs. They also sell Amish butter and cheese.

I'd love to see the chicken yard you've built! When can we see some pics?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 AM

22,698 posts, read 17,627,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Hi happyappy,

I'm still living in the Sacramento metro area. Just as yours was, my drive home from work takes longer than my drive to work.
While I know Los Angeles is not near Sacramento, I have to say there is nothing worse traffic-wise that what I have seen in the Los Angeles area on different visits over the last 10 years. This is no lie. At 10PM on a Sunday night (not a holiday weekend), I have seen worse traffic than I have ever seen in any rush hour anywhere. I was with a friend who used to live in the area. She changed to various highways/freeways, got off the highways and drove on the streets and still it took us 2 hours to get to someplace that should have taken 20 minutes AT 10PM ON A SUNDAY NIGHT because of the traffic we encountered wherever we went. Another time, with a local in the driver's seat, it took us a half hour to go 8 blocks in the Hollywood area in the middle of the day. A trip from LAX to anywhere, you may as well pack your lunch if you are traveling around noon time. We had a Brit with us once who was seeing California for the first time and who was just in awe of the beautiful aqua skies at sunset. We told her "Yeah, when you mix blue skies with yellow smog, the skies look aqua." The point is, I'm sure places in Tennessee have too much traffic but it isn't all day long, every day of the week. I'd shoot myself if I had to deal with that traffic in LA, 24/7. I'd have to think, how much of my life have I spent in my car over the years?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:10 AM

21,673 posts, read 31,578,373 times
Just stay off of I-640 in Knoxville, and I-40 heading west, or anywhere near downtown at rush hour, and you'll be okay.

I don't think traffic is bad in Oak Ridge at anytime, so you'll be okay, Laura.

But of course, none of it is like LA, or Atlanta, for that matter.

Still, it has gotten much worse in the past two months.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:36 PM

40 posts, read 87,443 times
[quote=happyappy;651827]Jguillot,

We were interested in 5-acre minimum properties and there were plenty of them available in this area, so I feel confident in assuming there are probably many 2 to 5 acre places around as well. There sure are lots of trees around here! People seem to value them enough to build around them; itís a great area.

From what weíve gathered, ANYTHING will grow here if one plants it. My wife has such a green thumb, Iím convinced she could make dead weeds grow. Weíve only been here 3 weeks and sheís managed to get her potted plants to recover from the trip out here and grow several inches already.

Weíve seen quite a few large garden plots as well as numerous greenhouses on various properties in and around Monterey. Somewhere in our research we found out that the growing season is very long in this area. Seems to me that community-supported agriculture operations (CSAs) would thrive in this area of Tennessee. Weíve discussed starting on a small scale and building a CSA using strictly organic methods when we lived in Washington State. This area would be even better because of the extended growing season and fertile soil.

The trip from Monterey to Cookeville takes about 10 minutes on I40, a very high quality surface in comparison to anything in Washington or Oregon that Iíve driven on. A phenomenon that we noticed on our trip out here is that, after we got east of Kansas City, there are at least as many trucks on the freeways as cars! However, they drive much differently out here; theyíre considerate in that they always signal their intentions, they donít cut back into the right-hand lane unless there are at least 2 full truck/trailer lengths of space, and they donít hog the left-hand lane so that traffic is held up. They move around a lot keeping up their speed and it takes a little getting used to having so many of them around, but all in all itís nice to be able to travel freely on a freeway!

Although weíre newbies out here, from what weíve observed thus far, they know how to do things right with roads and building so that natural beauty is preserved. No doubt there are areas we havenít seen yet that donít fit that mold, but weíre quite happy about our little niche that, so far, extends from Monterey to Nashville. And soon weíll explore east towards Knoxville.

Keep dreaming of that new place out here! If youíre like me, youíve found out over the years that having visions of goals make them a lot more attainable.[/QUOT

Happyappy,
If you have the time, instead of coming to Cookeville via I-40, try using Hwy 70. It's a beautiful and quiet ride. It will lead you right into downtown at the square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville