U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:22 AM

11,135 posts, read 13,702,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gom Jabbar View Post
Locals DO resent people coming there and paying $100,000 for 5 acres of land that cost the developers $500.00 an acre. This raises the tax base about 10 fold and is more than most can afford. These familys have lived there all their lives and do not want to move. The people that are building tend to be Summer Folk that build a vacation retreat. Then when they leave, theives from all over are coming in and robbing them.(Maybe to pay their own taxes) Then developers start hiring guards that harrass the locals when they are just passing through. There is an unspoken "code of the hills" there. When locals are being stopped and asked their business the code has been broken and there will be hell to pay.
Local residents, "do" resent new residents? That is a pretty broad statement and at best only partially true. While there is certainly some resentment from some local residents for the reasons you stated, there are also a good number of people who do not resent newcomers and I have found this this is often depended upon the attitudes of the newcomers. There is a good number of new people in the area that fit right in as well as a comfortable shoe.

I would be curious as to where this $500,000.000 per 5AC or 100k an acre land is, do you have a realtors cut sheet on a single piece of land that cost this much from Wilder Mountain? To the best of my knowledge the most expensive "piece of dirt" in these parts is the very end of Bear Knob which was listed for 375,000 and has quite possibly the most phenomenal view in the entire area. However within the Wilder Mountain development, I think the prices are a bit more modest, as in 10-25k per acre at most, but I may be wrong, I contact the office tomorrow and ask.

As to the tax base increasing 10 fold? I'm not sure I follow this. If you are talking about tax rates increasing on each piece of individual land that is developed from its raw state, that might be possible but I suspect it more like a doubling or at most a tripling. Of course this takes place when a person transforms any raw piece of land into a developed one (be it a residence or a commercial piece of property- value added tax increase) In any event, the Wilder Mountain development has not had an appreciative effect upon the tax rolls of the surrounding area and I'll be happy to contact the tax assessors office to verify this as I have an acquaintance who works there.

As far as the harassment of locals or newcomers, I haven't seen this and while it is certainly possible that it happened on an individual basis, it is hardly accurate to say this has happened on a broader scale. The largest source of resentment towards, "outsiders" I have seen in these parts are the locals sentiments towards timber companies that are based out of state and have closed off large tracts of land to hunting and ATV use.

If you have any specific examples to these, your assertions, I would be most curious to hear about them.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-14-2008, 12:37 PM

6 posts, read 25,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Local residents, "do" resent new residents? That is a pretty broad statement and at best only partially true. While there is certainly some resentment from some local residents for the reasons you stated, there are also a good number of people who do not resent newcomers and I have found this this is often depended upon the attitudes of the newcomers. There is a good number of new people in the area that fit right in as well as a comfortable shoe.

I would be curious as to where this $500,000.000 per 5AC or 100k an acre land is, do you have a realtors cut sheet on a single piece of land that cost this much from Wilder Mountain? To the best of my knowledge the most expensive "piece of dirt" in these parts is the very end of Bear Knob which was listed for 375,000 and has quite possibly the most phenomenal view in the entire area. However within the Wilder Mountain development, I think the prices are a bit more modest, as in 10-25k per acre at most, but I may be wrong, I contact the office tomorrow and ask.

As to the tax base increasing 10 fold? I'm not sure I follow this. If you are talking about tax rates increasing on each piece of individual land that is developed from its raw state, that might be possible but I suspect it more like a doubling or at most a tripling. Of course this takes place when a person transforms any raw piece of land into a developed one (be it a residence or a commercial piece of property- value added tax increase) In any event, the Wilder Mountain development has not had an appreciative effect upon the tax rolls of the surrounding area and I'll be happy to contact the tax assessors office to verify this as I have an acquaintance who works there.

As far as the harassment of locals or newcomers, I haven't seen this and while it is certainly possible that it happened on an individual basis, it is hardly accurate to say this has happened on a broader scale. The largest source of resentment towards, "outsiders" I have seen in these parts are the locals sentiments towards timber companies that are based out of state and have closed off large tracts of land to hunting and ATV use.

If you have any specific examples to these, your assertions, I would be most curious to hear about them.
$500,000.000 ???? Where did this come from?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 13,572 times
I am curious as well as to where this very expensive land is? I know my Dad purchased 7 acres i believe for a very reasonable price and his taxes and insurance are extremely reasonable. His permits etc. were very cheap. And i am still shocked at the price he paid to actually build a home in such a remote location. Up here in even a remote location in Pa you will still pay 3 to 5 times as much for a similar amount of land with a newly built home.
As for local resentment towards outsider i suppose it is possible but we didn't witness it. We spent some time on the back of my Dad's property target shooting and we did have a very nice lady from the office come to check up on us but she was more than friendly and told my Dad he is welcome to target shoot, hunt etc. on his land as much as he wants. Now i can firmly believe anyone local or not would get upset if people were causing a ruckus at all hours of the night or trespassing but mostly i have to say it was the quietest area i have ever seen. I hunt in a remote area outside of Weatherly, Pa. You need a rather tough 4x4 vehicle to even consider hunting, hiking,camping etc. where i do and i still see far more people in a day than i did on Wilder.
I am sure my Dad will fit in just fine up there. He is a full time resident now and believe me he wants the pristine beauty and the privacy that exists there to remain.
To bring up another subject if i may... when it comes to security i did notice something i guess anyone living there would want to keep their eye on. On my overnight stay we did have a vehicle with no lights on drive up and down Bobcat several times in the course of about 20 minutes. It probably means nothing but i wanted to make you all aware of it. It was the only thing that didn't seem to mesh with the atmosphere of the place during my visit.
If i may ask... i read in earlier posts about a resident meeting at the main cabin at the entrance. If anyone would be kind enough to let me know if these meetings still happen i would like to pass the info on to my Dad. He didn't mention it during our visit but he may be intersted in attending anything in the future.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 PM

11,135 posts, read 13,702,017 times
Quote:
$500,000.000 ???? Where did this come from?
Quote:
Locals DO resent people coming there and paying $100,000 for 5 acres of land that cost the developers $500.00 an acre.
100,000.00 per 5 acres, my mistake. Even still, what plot of land in Wilder Mountain was sold for this amount?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 17,629 times
Default Wilder prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
100,000.00 per 5 acres, my mistake. Even still, what plot of land in Wilder Mountain was sold for this amount?
I know when I went up to Wilder most of the 5 acre plots were being sold for $19,900 for a long skinny plot and some of the more square plots were $29'900 which is what we bought.At the time they had a couple of bluff lots that were something like $89'900 but that would be for someone who has more money than they need especially since there is only probably less than an acre that you can actually use.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

42 posts, read 152,159 times
Exclamation Wilder Mountain Property Owners Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czeshep View Post
I am curious as well as to where this very expensive land is? I know my Dad purchased 7 acres i believe for a very reasonable price and his taxes and insurance are extremely reasonable. His permits etc. were very cheap. And i am still shocked at the price he paid to actually build a home in such a remote location. Up here in even a remote location in Pa you will still pay 3 to 5 times as much for a similar amount of land with a newly built home.
As for local resentment towards outsider i suppose it is possible but we didn't witness it. We spent some time on the back of my Dad's property target shooting and we did have a very nice lady from the office come to check up on us but she was more than friendly and told my Dad he is welcome to target shoot, hunt etc. on his land as much as he wants. Now i can firmly believe anyone local or not would get upset if people were causing a ruckus at all hours of the night or trespassing but mostly i have to say it was the quietest area i have ever seen. I hunt in a remote area outside of Weatherly, Pa. You need a rather tough 4x4 vehicle to even consider hunting, hiking,camping etc. where i do and i still see far more people in a day than i did on Wilder.
I am sure my Dad will fit in just fine up there. He is a full time resident now and believe me he wants the pristine beauty and the privacy that exists there to remain.
To bring up another subject if i may... when it comes to security i did notice something i guess anyone living there would want to keep their eye on. On my overnight stay we did have a vehicle with no lights on drive up and down Bobcat several times in the course of about 20 minutes. It probably means nothing but i wanted to make you all aware of it. It was the only thing that didn't seem to mesh with the atmosphere of the place during my visit.
If i may ask... i read in earlier posts about a resident meeting at the main cabin at the entrance. If anyone would be kind enough to let me know if these meetings still happen i would like to pass the info on to my Dad. He didn't mention it during our visit but he may be intersted in attending anything in the future.
The Wilder Mountain Meetings are no longer taking place. A few residents (2 to be specific) caused the board to dis-ban due to the fact there was fear of the two words "Homeowners Association!" We understand that some have had negative experiences in Florida with a homeowners association, however as elected President, I and other elected board members never had any intention to increase rules and regulations to the covenants that the developer created for the development. We just wanted to have a group of residents that could come together and keep Wilder Mountain beautiful and peaceful. If any one has further questions you can reach me directly at wildermountain@hotmail.com

Old 09-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Locals DO resent people coming there and paying $100,000 for 5 acres of land that cost the developers $500.00 an acre. This raises the tax base about 10 fold and is more than most can afford. These familys have lived there all their lives and do not want to move. The people that are building tend to be Summer Folk that build a vacation retreat. Then when they leave, theives from all over are coming in and robbing them.(Maybe to pay their own taxes) Then developers start hiring guards that harrass the locals when they are just passing through. There is an unspoken "code of the hills" there. When locals are being stopped and asked their business the code has been broken and there will be hell to pay.
We live up here and our taxes are $450 a year for a beautiful bluff lot with 21 acres and a home on it. That is hardly a 10 fold raise in the tax base. The most of the homes up here are lived in year round and in addition to that there has not been a single thing stolen from Wilder Mountain in over 6 months! Thanks to the Fentress County sheriffs department who has two residents that are deputy sheriffs and live in Wilder Mountain full time! We are all in contact with each other and know who is and who is not a resident so the theives don't stand a chance. In addition to that maybe the local theives would be interested in the fact that almost every home here has live video security cameras on the interior and exterior of their homes. I am just curious on how locals as you say "pass thu" wilder mountain? There is no road or
[SIZE=3]thoroughfare that in in the Wilder Mountain Subdivision. Our subdivision is rather out of one's way. There is only one way in and the same way out. These are private roads that the property owners pay $200 per lot for the roads to be maintained. The County does not maintain the roads at all and the school bus can't even come into the subdivision to pick up children for school since it is considered private property. We can all get along....long time locals and new residents alike! What matters most is that Wilder is our home.[/SIZE]

Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 25,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderFamily View Post
We live up here and our taxes are $450 a year for a beautiful bluff lot with 21 acres and a home on it. That is hardly a 10 fold raise in the tax base. The most of the homes up here are lived in year round and in addition to that there has not been a single thing stolen from Wilder Mountain in over 6 months! Thanks to the Fentress County sheriffs department who has two residents that are deputy sheriffs and live in Wilder Mountain full time! We are all in contact with each other and know who is and who is not a resident so the theives don't stand a chance. In addition to that maybe the local theives would be interested in the fact that almost every home here has live video security cameras on the interior and exterior of their homes. I am just curious on how locals as you say "pass thu" wilder mountain? There is no road or
[SIZE=3]thoroughfare that in in the Wilder Mountain Subdivision. Our subdivision is rather out of one's way. There is only one way in and the same way out. These are private roads that the property owners pay $200 per lot for the roads to be maintained. The County does not maintain the roads at all and the school bus can't even come into the subdivision to pick up children for school since it is considered private property. We can all get along....long time locals and new residents alike! What matters most is that Wilder is our home.[/SIZE]
If you will read my post, you will realize that I did not use the term "pass thu". I am an ed-u-ma-cated person! There has always been a dirt road running through the area where you live. A trail continued on into Jamestown. Alas, the good ole days are gone forever, it seems.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 AM

To everyone who has property in Wilder Mountain and doesn't live up here yet.....the leaves are starting to change. I will try to post some pictures as soon as the colors get going! Hope all of our friends/property owners are doing well and come up soon to see the beautiful scenery. Also the Allardt Pumpkin Festival is going on this coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday Oct. 3rd, 4th,and 5th. There will be a Antique Tractor Show, Motorcycle Shine, Show and Ride, Quilt Show, Parade, Children's Costume Contest, 2008 Great Pumpkin Weigh-Off (Last years winning Pumpkin was 1,112 lbs!) Car Show, Beauty Contest, all kinds of entertainment and Fireworks. There will be tons of food and crafts for sale also. We love to go every year and the kids have a blast! If you want to find out when and what time the activities are going on, check out www.AllardtPumpkinFestival.com

Old 09-30-2008, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,120 times
I bought in Wilder about 1.5 years ago. Have not been back. My property sits just east where the Obey river corsses under I beleive State road 84. Does anybody have pic. that shows progress. My take is that it is beautiful if you like the out doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville