U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM

16 posts, read 77,903 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to somewhere within an hour of Nashville airport. We found a great potential property in Silver Point and I was hoping someone would have some more information on the town. We're planning on heading out there in a couple of weeks but I wanted to gather as much info beforehand as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know it's less than 20 mins to Cookeville which is a huge plus because I've heard such great things about it. What I'm curious to know about Silver Point is...
It's Putnam County Schools which I hear are good but are all of them good?

Is it completely rural? Will I have to go to Cookeville to do all my shopping/banking or are there grocery stores, hardware stores, etc there.

How are the property values? If I buy there will it appreciate or could I end up having a hard time selling it if I have to move.

Crime?

Anything else anyone knows, I would love to hear anything about it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 AM

98 posts, read 350,069 times
Silver Point is where Interstate 40 intersects with State Hwy 56. You go from Silver Point to Cookeville to do your shopping. Or you can drive into Nashville about an hour. Back on 56 is Smithville and the Center Hill Lake region. Silver Point has a few service stations. An attraction or two that relates to Center Hill Lake. The views are great and since this is in the area of Center Hill Lake, property prices should be on the increasing side. If you are planning to move to Silver Point - your town will be Cookeville and as you can see from other postings here - Cookeville is a great town, with a University, hospitals, great shopping and eating establishments. There are also some things to do in the Smithville area, about 11 miles from Silver Point.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 22,312 times
I live in Smithville, TN which is about 10 miles due south of Silver Point on Hwy 56. Smithville might be closer to doctors, shopping and other amenities than Cookeville, but we are on a much smaller scale than Cookeville. We have a Wal-Mart, food shopping, banking, dry cleaners, drug stores, and the like, but our main 'entertainment' is the lake. We have about 18 different marinas and boat docks surrounding Center Hill Lake. I think if you decided on Silver Point, it would be easier and closer to do your necessities in Smithville, and go to Cookeville when you need things that Smithville can't provide.

As far as Silver Point goes, it's convenience is that you are so close to the interstate and can be in Cookeville in about 15 minutes, and Nashville in about 50 minutes. The property values in Silver Point have consistently appreciated. Land has been appreciating about 25% a year (I work in a real estate office, but am not a realtor).
The only crime I've been aware of usually have to do with drugs (drug busts, misuse of prescription drugs and the like).

I love it here in Smithville and am so glad I moved to the area. We are heading out to the lake for Memorial Day weekend. Should be a blast!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:43 PM

16 posts, read 77,903 times
Thanks so much for the help.

Lakeprop, you told me what I needed to hear. I figured Silver Point, being close to Center Hill Lake would be a safe buy but my husband is worried about the resale value of land, so that will really reassure him.

10 to 15 minutes isn't bad at all to drive for conveniences. We lived in the country before but it was about 45 mins to town and it was a pain when we were working on the house because we always seemed to forget something we needed.

Well, we are really excited to get up there and check things out. Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville