Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 23,983 times

Advertisements

Could somebody help a couple of Michiganders and tell us about the
community at Hawks Bluff, we are thinking about buying property
there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 09:23 PM

240 posts, read 1,155,594 times
My wife and I own property in Hawks Bluff and now contracting to build a log home in Phase 1. My wife and I are from the Florida area and work in Law Enforcement and find this community to be very nice.

Last edited by JMT; 07-20-2023 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 AM

9 posts, read 35,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud & Heidi View Post
there.
We are from South Florida (West Palm Beach County), we purchased property this past spring from Paul Mount (he is so knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with)......if you decide to purchase I recommend you deal with Paul. He also lives in Hawks Bluff!
Our time frame to relocate is approx. 5 years and can't wait to leave behind the heat and humidity, crowds, traffic, rude people. We are happy nesters but still working full time.
Chattanooga is a 40 minute drive where you have anything that you could ask for from great restaurants, theater, shopping and then you have the luxury of returning to little town Spencer. All of this was part of our decision process.
We are going to Tennessee next week for a week and cannot wait to visit our property in phase four.
Good luck to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 AM

130 posts, read 475,139 times
yes, go see Paul. he has been a tremendous help to us with preparing to build our log home. he is from FLA like us, and also like us curious about TN living. buy in Hawks Bluff, you will find a piece of heaven like we did. Bud and Heidi have you visited yet?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 14,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud & Heidi View Post
there.
We bought a piece of proprty there about 2 years ago, it's just been sitting there, but we love the area. With all of the roads paved, all of the utulities are underground, it's a great and beautiful spot. I grew up in Chattanooga about about an hour south east of Hawks bluff. My husband and I live in Orlando and waiting for my kids to finish college before making our home up there.

Good luck in your search, it's a beautfiul place.

Last edited by elnina; 07-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Please do not post your personal info. DM instead.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I thought the developer abandoned the property? Rocco Toscano from Hialeah, Florida. Did he?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM

375 posts, read 1,096,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I thought the developer abandoned the property? Rocco Toscano from Hialeah, Florida. Did he?
He left for Florida about a year ago. I've heard some complaints about the roads deteriorating and there never were any water lines. Foreclosure lots advertised in the paper just about every week and the going rate for lots not in foreclosure seems to be about 3-6K. I saw a 1.5 acre lot listed for $3,900 a couple of days ago so no, the place isn't doing too great.

This is for the Van Buren Hawk's Bluff, I'm less up to date on the property in Sequatchie.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,274 times
I purchased porperty in phase IV about 5.5 years ago for $33K (1.2 acers) have only been back once to see the property and the roads were in. I know there are several upset people who have formed groups to seek legal actions against Rocco. Property was buile on a old Military bombing field. Property is now worth about $6k

Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Honestly, is 1.2 acres in Van Buren Co. ever worth 33K. $3,900.00 sounds more like it.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Honestly, is 1.2 acres in Van Buren Co. ever worth 33K. $3,900.00 sounds more like it.
It's worse than that, some of them originally sold for over 50K. For lots with no utility water available. Most weren't evaluated for septic systems before being sold, no planning commission at the time, some will be unbuildable because there isn't enough dirt over the sandstone to get a septic permit. On top of that it's in Welchland, not considered a high dollar part of the county even by local standards, too much abuse over the years by strip mines, timber companies and the military. Mostly trailers and shacks. I don't really mean that in a bad way, I have family in Welchland, but it does seem like a danged odd spot to try to put an expensive subdivision. Some of the lots do have nice views but there are so many negatives to go with it, not the least of which is that much of the 'view' is owned by a timber company that could turn it into a moonscape at any given moment.

Foreclosure lots are still listed in the paper almost every week, even the Christmas moratorium didn't stop it. Raw land must have been exempt from relief. I've recently seen non-foreclosure lots listed for as little as $3500.

So no, it's doubtful that 1.2 acres in Van Buren has ever been worth 33K and if there ever has been 1.2 acres worth that it wasn't a piece of cut-over timberland at the edge of an old military bombing range within a couple of miles of abandoned coal strip pits in Welchland. The whole thing always seemed crazy to me, just took awhile for reality to catch up with the hype.

And a little trivia: the average price per acre that the developers paid for the land when they picked it up at auction from Huber timber company was well under 1K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville