Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 AM

179 posts, read 452,832 times

Advertisements

Big changes ahead for Putnam County schools:

School zoning starts in July

Up until this point, we've had open enrollment - except for a few cases when a new school would become overcrowded (Capshaw and Algood). Wonder what this will mean for the real estate market here??

We're about two minutes from the new school, and my kids are old enough that this doesn't really hit us, but I've got a close friend who was a puddle yesterday because she has both an incoming 5th grader and incoming Kindergartener who will both be going to schools where they do not know anyone.

We knew it was coming, but it still comes as a bit of a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,154 times
Would be nice if parents had been given enough notice to actually move if they wanted to badly enough. Unfortunately, one month before registration leaves people with no choice.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
I think this stinks. We don't force people to use their neighborhood post office or their local hospital. I believe very strongly that one of the reasons the schools in Putnam County have had such a good reputation is because of the freedom of choice; students could attend schools that made them the happiest.

I'm glad, though, that the freedom of choice still exists for the high schools.

But I thought this massive building project with 3 new schools opening (the new, enlarged Jere Whitson, the new south elementary and the new, enlarged Prescott Central MS) was supposed to relieve overcrowding at some of the more popular schools, particularly Algood and Capshaw.

And it seems to me that the way to relieve the overcrowding is to find the secret of those schools' success and copy that in other schools, rather than making it illegal for students in one part of town to attend a higher-rated school in another part of town.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM

235 posts, read 773,540 times
I can understand where this would make someone mad,this is why we have looking to move to Putnam,Co. But we have set zones where we are now so it would not be that big of a deal. But I belive like Jmt said!!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,434,514 times
I find this strange, in todays paper...(Herald Citizen)

School Zoning

"Many parents who have two or more children have raised the question of being able to keep their children in the same school, she said. "The question of siblings was not addressed last week," she said. "But the question of siblings has come up, and we are looking to resolve this question for parents," Airhart said. "For example, one parent told me that she currently has a child in kindergarten at Northeast, who will go to first grade there next year and another child who will begin kindergarten next year and must go to Capshaw due to the bus route zones." That parent's dilemma is whether to move her other child away from the school she is now accustomed to so that both can go to the same school or to have two young children in separate schools, complicating the parent's daily pick up and delivery schedule and time required to be involved with two different schools and their activities. Several other factors may also be contributing to public confusion over just what the school board approved last week.

Really, they didn't think of this before? And I can't believe that the East Lake /Poplar Grove Area is zoned for Capshaw! What a shocker.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 AM

I think they just didn't expect as much backlash as they have received. I'm hearing that they really expect a lot of moaning and groaning from one or two particular schools, but it's really been across the board.

I also heard (though it might be hearsay) that they were redrawing the zones to include a higher percentage of free/reduced lunch in each school so that they can receive additional funding from the state. So yeah, alot of people have been shifted in odd ways. I have a friend who lives on Buck Mtn who is also now zoned Capshaw.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberFlynn View Post
I think they just didn't expect as much backlash as they have received. I'm hearing that they really expect a lot of moaning and groaning from one or two particular schools, but it's really been across the board.

I also heard (though it might be hearsay) that they were redrawing the zones to include a higher percentage of free/reduced lunch in each school so that they can receive additional funding from the state. So yeah, alot of people have been shifted in odd ways. I have a friend who lives on Buck Mtn who is also now zoned Capshaw.
I just can't imagine why the school board didn't see this coming. Are they really that out of touch with the community that they didn't expect such a backlash? I know only one of the members of the school board and he's the one who voted against the forced zoning.

I think one of the reasons for the backlash is because the freedom to attend the school of your choice has always been one of the hallmarks of Putnam County's schools. I mean, it's been that way forever, and other than a few glitches here and there it's worked remarkably well. Sure, when a new school opens there's a rush to get kids into the new school (some people think "new" means "better") but after a couple of years everything gets back to normal.

But it's not always about wanting your kids to be in the newest school. Even some of the more humble schools like Parkview and Sycamore have students attending who don't actually live in those areas.

There are several reasons why people like the freedom of choice:
  • Many parents don't want their kids to ride school buses and will choose to take their kids to a school closer to where the parents work.
  • Some kids like going to school with their cousins across town.
  • Some kids like being in a school where a relative or close family friend works.
I think all of those are good reasons, and why on earth should students be denied their preference, as long as there's room?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 AM

1,387 posts, read 3,434,514 times
IMHO ~

I think that they are going to have issues with over -crowding at some schools with current attendees not wanting to leave until they age out...and newly rezoned students wanting to go to the new zoned schools. For example...Capshaw. If they allow the sibling of the KG student to move to Capshaw...will there be room? Who will have priority?

It is interesting to know that less than 35% of PCS students ride the buses.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Actually the school experiencing the most crowding right now is Baxter Elementary - they are at ~120% capacity. Really, open zoning has worked fairly well up until the last few years. Actually, from my understanding it wasn't an issue at all until my son started K at Capshaw (and he's a freshman), we had to go to a soft zone then. In recent years, this has become a bigger issue. I have friends who live in Algood who can't get their kids in school there. I have always enjoyed open zoning (but my political bend is for lesser gov't control anyway), however, something has to give. I personally think that our School Board administration does an excellent job overall, and I'm sure they will in this instance as well.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberFlynn View Post
Actually the school experiencing the most crowding right now is Baxter Elementary - they are at ~120% capacity. Really, open zoning has worked fairly well up until the last few years. Actually, from my understanding it wasn't an issue at all until my son started K at Capshaw (and he's a freshman), we had to go to a soft zone then. In recent years, this has become a bigger issue. I have friends who live in Algood who can't get their kids in school there. I have always enjoyed open zoning (but my political bend is for lesser gov't control anyway), however, something has to give. I personally think that our School Board administration does an excellent job overall, and I'm sure they will in this instance as well.
I agree that the school board has always acted in the best interest of the students and has always listened to the voice of the parents. I hope they'll listen seriously to the concerns that people have over this forced zoning issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: