U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,721,848 times

Advertisements

wow..thats interesting that you mentioned the movie thang-i am DYING to see Michael Moore's movie "SICKO", being a healthcare professional..and cant find a theatre showing it.
i am a redneck country girl, but intelligent and a college grad..but i have to say, corpus has NOTHING to offer me....NO good redneck country bars to two step in, no cowboy life, and BIG lack of intellectual outlets...yes exactly, you almost have to "dumb down"...it is most definitely a BLUE COLLAR town. its pretty sad. i really wish i could say i love South Texas, but after being stuck here for almost a year, i am embarrassed to say that this is part of Texas...i wont even have family or friends visit, cuz i dont want them to get the idea that THIS is what Texas is all about.
i am moving in September. i am pretty sure i will move to Lampasas..HILL COUNTRY..now that's where it's at...my favorite parts of Texas are the Hill Country, Panhandle, West Texas...and of course a big part of my heart will always be in North Texas, where i am from (between Wichita Falls and Ft Worth).......i want to feel like I live in Texas. i definitely dont feel like i live in Texas down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i was born and raised there and couldn't wait to get out. my parents still live there, so i do visit once in a while. i left when i was 19 and will never go back. if i had to say that some of the things that i can put my finger on that i don't like about corpus. first of all, i don't feel like corpus is connected to the rest of the world. if you look at the movies they play at teh local cinema, they only play to teenagers. there will be no arthouse, european, michael moore documentaries, adult dramas showing there. i guess the theater owners think that the corpus christians are too stupid and will only watch the mindless crap that hollywood puts out. many people's idea of fun is to go over to a friend's house, get drunk and rent movies. i have heard many younger people, my sister included that can hardly wait to go to austin or san antonio for the weekend. the people there are too religious (mainly catholic) and judgmental if you don't follow the dogma of their cult. there is no variety of restaurants. all of the city's retail is centered in one area only. there is only 1 starbucks store for the whole city. the people there drive very slow. they are stuck in a time warp and will not listen to differing opinions. i am now used to a variety in my life. if i lived there, i would need to dumb down to enjoy living in corpus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 AM

232 posts, read 733,703 times
I have been here 3 months and so far we are enjoying the area. Pretty much anything you need you will find here. It's not a big city so you won't find Major sporting events.
If you like water , you will love it here.
And as fars as meeting people.....If you are a adult and you haven't figured out how to meet people...then I don't know what to tell you.
And if you consider redneck bars and cowboy life a BIG intellectual outlet, then it's true. Hope someone finds the humor in that ?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM

no, scubashawn, what i mean is that for nightlife, i enjoy redneck type cowboy bars or clubs and for socialization, those who live the cowboy life.
i did not say that those places are intellectual outlets.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 PM

304 posts, read 778,034 times
Default changeofpace

We will be relocating to Corpus in Oct, and are country and western music lovers, so if you find a club that plays country music (live or juke box) that would be cool. We did not have time to check out bars or clubs on either of our trips to Corpus and the 2 bars we did stop into downtown for a bite to eat, didnt seem country and western type bars. We stopped into the Texas Roadhouse steak resturant twice but did not notice if they had a bar area but that place was busy both times, played country and western music and the steaks were great. The outside bar at the Holiday Inn Emerald Beach will play whatever music you desire, but it was dead every night despite the great view of the beach, then entire week were stayed there.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM

well they have WHiskey River and Ropers in Corpus, but i dont go because i certainly dont want to go two steppin at some place full of very young folks. i miss all the good ole roadhouses in North Texas where you could always find middle aged folks two steppin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
We will be relocating to Corpus in Oct, and are country and western music lovers, so if you find a club that plays country music (live or juke box) that would be cool. We did not have time to check out bars or clubs on either of our trips to Corpus and the 2 bars we did stop into downtown for a bite to eat, didnt seem country and western type bars. We stopped into the Texas Roadhouse steak resturant twice but did not notice if they had a bar area but that place was busy both times, played country and western music and the steaks were great. The outside bar at the Holiday Inn Emerald Beach will play whatever music you desire, but it was dead every night despite the great view of the beach, then entire week were stayed there.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:10 AM

232 posts, read 733,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
no, scubashawn, what i mean is that for nightlife, i enjoy redneck type cowboy bars or clubs and for socialization, those who live the cowboy life.
i did not say that those places are intellectual outlets.
You really didn't get that it was joke, did you ?

Old 07-08-2007, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,910 times
Sorry, I have to agree with all of the other posts warning you not to come to corpus christi. The beaches are filthly, the culture non-existent (has not changed since I moved here from Austin in 1985)

For your own peace of mind look elsewhere!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
i live in corpus and i always said id move but whenever i go elsewhere to visit i miss it here. yes, its filled with stupid people who are ignorant and quite frankly i can feel my IQ dwindling some times but if you go just outside of corpus like to the island, portland, aransas pass, port aransas, etc. its great there. i personally will never live in city but the island is great and so is portland. as for country bars. uhh whiskey river unless youre under 21 then ropers. if youre not into dancing majority of the bars down here play country music. i like to dance so i go to whiskey river.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,904,167 times
Corpus is not known for valuing education. You might be better off as a redneck with a GW04 sticker than having the Phd. I wrote the Sunday Guest Ed last week in the Caller-Times but ran out of room when it came to sex ratios.

Rockport oddly enough is the opposite of Corpus - its one of the few places there are more men than women even in the older age groups. Careful when you look at statistics though, because prison populations are included in the county population figures. Walker County (Huntsville) seems like it might be "guy heaven" but there's a quality issue involved.

Rockport has more males because they come to fish, sail and for construction -all male dominated activities.

The Valley has the largest female to male ratio and that runs across all adult age groups.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,076,587 times
I moved to corpus from Seattle last year for work. I love the place as far as weather and outdoor activities go but dating is near impossible for me here. It's so bad that I am currently trying to transfer my job. the ratio on paper is not that bad but it doesn't account for all the military guys that aren’t residents blowing up the singles bars and dating sites. Also the ratio of in shape guys to in shape women is like nothing I've ever seen. I would go as far as to say there might be 3-4 in shape guys for every in shape girl in my age group (30). that means what would be an average built girl in other parts of the country is far above average down here making it difficult to date for most guys unless you like big women or you're a really good looking guy with $$$$. most of my ex girlfriends would get rock star treatment down here but up north would be considered average/girl next door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi