Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM

258 posts, read 637,816 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions regarding the beach areas in and around Corpus.
What is the difference between Corpus, Rockport, Port Aransas and Mustang Island? Which one is your favorite beach? Where do you like to stay? What restaurants do you like to dine at?
I'm looking for a nice and relaxing place to stay right ON the beach. And of course you have to have good food.
Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,728 times
Coprus Christi and Rockport beaches are on the bay.... which is the weirdest thing in the world to me. Port A and Mustang Island are on the gulf.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM

Thank you. Do you know of any great places to stay on the beach?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
No clue. A lot of people talk about staying at the Holiday Inn near Mustang Island.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,534 times
Before I moved to CC, I used to love stay at the Sunday Villas in Port A. Nice roomy condos, pretty much on the beach, (you have to walk out the back and across the dunes to get to the beach). All the good eateries are within a 5 minute drive, I always enjoyed Marcels, Pelican Landing, The Quarter Deck, and of course, the odd cheeseberger at the Salty Dog Saloon. This is not a complete listing of where to eat in Port A, for that you should visit the official Port A website; Restaurants in Port Aransas, Texas

Old 08-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Sorry,,, I should have also posted a link for the Sunday Villas:
Sunday Villas - Welcome
Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this condo property what-so-ever, I have stayed there many times in the past and think it's one of the more charming and unique condo properties on the island. It's just a recommendation, take it for what it's worth. Actually, nothing.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
My wife and I kept a sailboat at Rockport for 3 years and spent a lot of time exploring the area, including Corpus, Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, and down to Port Lavaca. We still return every spring for a visit. We prefer to stay at Rockport, TX and drive over to Port Aransas for the beaches. We like the Lighthouse Inn in Rockport, it is on the edge of the bay, fairly new so its not run down, free breakfast, and we like the restaruants in the area (Hu Dat, Charlotte Plummer's) much more then those in Port Aransas. Rockport is much more of an authentic coastal community rather then just a tourist town.

More photos of Rockport and Port A: Rockport / Port Aransas, TX Photo Gallery by cptinrn at pbase.com

Our favorite place with easy beach access in Port A was the Beachhead Condominiums, but they were old, run down and poorly maintained the last time we stayed there. They appeared to be fixing them up some when we drove by last spring.

Hotels, motels and condo's are required to build behind the beach dunes in the Port A area only one or two are right on the beach, most are a short distance behind the dunes. If I were to pick one to stay in these days I'd go for one of the newer ones as so many of the older ones we have stayed in have poor maintenance and are worn out. We used to always stay at the Beachhead Condominiums in Port A, 1923 S 11th Street, Port Aransas, TX, 78373 but they had gotten run down. Recent reviews indicate they underwent major renovations in 2009, so they should be in pretty good condition now. I'd give them a try, they had a great pool, views of the gulf and were only a short walk on a boardwalk across the dunes to the beach.

Whenever we drive to Port Aransas we take the ferry boats going to it and drive back through Corpus so we can stop at Snoopy's Pier under the Park Road 22, S. Padre Island bridge, for a late lunch or dinner. Great shrimp. Great dining right on the Intercoastal Waterway.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-08-2010 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM

Thank you! What wonderful recommendations! I really appreciate it.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
All of the hotels are dumps, you definitely will want to go condo. However the condo quality varies because they are maintained by the owners. Condo complexes ensure a certain level of quality, but that may not be that high. In the summer they have almost 100% occupancy.

The good complexes in port A are:

The dunes, port royal, mayan princess, sand piper, gulfshores (I think). Check out tripadvisor reviews to get a better idea.

Here is a link to port aransas specialty lodging on tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g5...as-Hotels.html

Even the less nice complexes can have really nice units and the nice complexes can have crappy units.

Docs and snoops are right next to each other. I believe we strongly prefer docs as snoopys is mostly fried

Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Sad attempt at humor,,, today is 8-9-10. These number sequences only happen every 13 months.

I know, I really do need to get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi