Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,198 times

Advertisements

Now that we have found our home, we have some close friends who have been thinking about relocating to Corpus and now want to do it by the end of the year. They are curious about purchasing a home on Padre Island. We ruled it out for no particular reason but are wondering about insurance, flooding and hurricane damage if they purchase a home on Padre Island. Anyone live on the island or have ideas about living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:14 AM

232 posts, read 995,263 times
I do not live there, but I work with plenty of people that do.

This is the area that would be hit first by a hurricane. You must have flood insurance there.
Other than that I hear its a great place to live. I had thought about buying there but the wife was worried about hurricane damage if it ever happened.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Hi changeofpace, let me give you some info that I recently came upon:

I've been looking to purchase land in Texas and recently I downloaded some podcasts (audio files) that were recorded at a recent land brokers convention held in San Antonio. This is sort of a "state of the union", if you will, for land brokers throughout the state of Texas. I learned some really incredible things about the market, but what shocked me was how undervalued the Gulf Coast region of Texas is (according to the panelists). Lots of people from Florida are moving over to this region because it's less crowded, cleaner (shocked me), and get this--better weather. Another statement made was that people were nicer. I hope it works out for you and keep us posted on how your relocation progresses.

Now, as far as hurricane impact....I recently saw a chart on the weather channel and it shows that Texas gets more hurricane hits (over history) than Florida. Make sure you get good insurance. I've been through this too--I used to live in Brownsville and I have memories of fleeing the house from an incoming hurricane.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 PM

Default changeofpace

I attended the land brokers convention last year, thats why we investigated Corpus and thats why so many people are looking to relocate and retire in Corpus. You wont recognize Corpus in 10 years, it will literally double in size within 15 years. Looking at supply and demand, you wont be able to touch the real estate there when you retire as the prices will be out of sight. Many investors are looking and shoreline and ocen drive. Its unbelieavable there are empty ocean lots in 2007 in a city the size and location of Corpus. If I only had money to invest in more than just my retirement home.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Oh wow,cool!

I remember the phrase "it's like a new Corpus Christi in Texas every year" when referring to Texas' population increase each year.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:24 PM

If you don't mind me asking...were did you buy at ?

We just moved here 3 months ago.....I still have a Realtor's license in GA...and after my GA home sells I may sell the one we have here in CC ....and buy either a larger home or one closer to the water.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Default changeofpace

We purchased a home in Calallen just off I-37 and 77.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Wow ! That's pretty far out....Have you moved here yet ?

I was going to look ou there but I was warned that Calallen has REALY BAD foundation problems...Actually most of CC has those problems, just that I have heard that Calallen is worse than most.
Hope you had a hydrostatic test done ?

Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Default changeofpace

The home was custom built in 2002 and we had it tested and inspected for anything and everything. The tester and inspectors said it was a one of a kind home and no expense was spared anywhere. They were quite impressed with the home as we were. We originally were looking at new construction and closer in, but when we by chance were shown this home we could not resist. It was on the market 8 hours. We know you cant judge a book by its cover so were had EVERYTHING checked out and got the list of every single subcontractor who worked on the house during construction as well as all specifications and construction plans. The only reason the home was for sale was due to catastrophic illness of the owner. Their retirement dream home became our retirement dream home and we will think about them every day as we enjoy the home they so dearly and carefully built. We had to do the same for our parents when they became ill just a year after they completed their dream home on the lake in MN. We have been there and know how emotional it is. It makes us appreciate this home and circumstance all the more.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Their retirement dream home became our retirement dream home and we will think about them every day as we enjoy the home they so dearly and carefully built. We had to do the same for our parents when they became ill just a year after they completed their dream home on the lake in MN. We have been there and know how emotional it is. It makes us appreciate this home and circumstance all the more.
May the God of our choice bless you I'm sure the people you bought it from really appreciated that. Thanks and keep us updated on your relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi