U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times

Advertisements

I seem to remember it was called that, but I don't remember if/when it changed. Anyone else remember this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM

484 posts, read 1,303,973 times
I don't remember anything about JFK, however I do remember the original "GIAC"; Gulf Intracoastal Waterway project which later became the ICW. This project was ongoing long before JFK became a national figure. And BTW, a "causeway" refers to a roadway or bridge across the bay, not the waterway itself.

http://www.gicaonline.com/pages/about/history.html

Last edited by jbtx; 01-07-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM

15,192 posts, read 16,044,725 times
We still call it the JFK causeway...

Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 PM

398 posts, read 1,204,894 times
it still is the jfk causeway.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
it still is the jfk causeway.
When I was driving on it the other day, I noticed that the sign read, "Intracoastal Causeway". I guess that I was expecting a sign that read, "JFK" istead.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 AM

107 posts, read 414,849 times
The sign ID's the waterway, like when you cross a river there is typically a sign that ID's said river. The bridge is still the JFK Causeway.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 PM

10,804 posts, read 5,086,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
The sign ID's the waterway, like when you cross a river there is typically a sign that ID's said river. The bridge is still the JFK Causeway.
CC oldtimers (like me) always have and always will, call it the "intracoastal" causeway and bridge.

When I was a kid, it was a tollway with a swing/lift bridge, called Laguna Madre Causeway (officially) and the Padre Island causeway by most people, built by Nueces county in 1949-50. It later became a Park Road (22), and has been rebuilt a couple of times. I know they rebuilt it after Carla. The entire road was lifted a couple of times - the old swing bridge was a pain, caused long waits.

The official name is the John F. Kennedy Memorial causeway and John F. Kennedy Bridge - the name was changed by the city fathers after JFK was assassinated.

The current Bridge (which replaced the combo swing/lift bridge) was completed in 1973 - it was the first precast concrete segmental bridge in the United States. It won a PCI Design Award. The concrete was provided locally by Heldenfels Brothers. Our family just calls it "Don's bridge", he was the TXDOT engineer in charge of the new bridge. There are some great bridges around Corpus - makes it a lot easier to get around.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,204,894 times
it also cut off the circulation of the laguna madre... so whenever you drive on it you get the fantastic smell of anaerobic decay

Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
CC oldtimers (like me) always have and always will, call it the "intracoastal" causeway and bridge.

When I was a kid, it was a tollway with a swing/lift bridge, called Laguna Madre Causeway (officially) and the Padre Island causeway by most people, built by Nueces county in 1949-50. It later became a Park Road (22), and has been rebuilt a couple of times. I know they rebuilt it after Carla. The entire road was lifted a couple of times - the old swing bridge was a pain, caused long waits.

The official name is the John F. Kennedy Memorial causeway and John F. Kennedy Bridge - the name was changed by the city fathers after JFK was assassinated.

The current Bridge (which replaced the combo swing/lift bridge) was completed in 1973 - it was the first precast concrete segmental bridge in the United States. It won a PCI Design Award. The concrete was provided locally by Heldenfels Brothers. Our family just calls it "Don's bridge", he was the TXDOT engineer in charge of the new bridge. There are some great bridges around Corpus - makes it a lot easier to get around.
Thank you for the history. I remember the old drawbridge when I was a little kid. We would wait a long time to get across to the other side. I only remember the causeway referred to as the JFK Causeway. There used to be vendors on the beach that would sell hot dogs or hamburgers 4 or 5 for $1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or