Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Maine and am sick of the winters here. Within a year or two I am thinking of moving to the Corpus Christi area. The reason I believe Corpus Christi might be right for me is I want someplace warm, some place with palm trees, which I know it has...but the things I am not sure of is I want someplace affordable to rent to start off with and some place that's not high crime. I am looking at around $400-$600 for a 1 BR apartment or studio even.

My current job in Maine is a security officer which I have over 5 years experience in. So does Corpus Christi sound like it would be right for me?

Obviously I wouldn't move into an area before I came down and visited for myself but I figured locals could give me a general idea of what I am looking at. I was looking at either Texas, Florida, or the Carolina's and so far it looks like Texas has the best people and is more friendly than Florida which is something that weighs heavily on where to relocate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM

174 posts, read 666,581 times
I cannot speak for Texas since I won't be there for a couple of months, but will certainly tell you what I think when I finally do arrive. I am so excited.

I am in my 30s now but when I was in my 20s I lived in Maine and North Carolina. Dad's family owns houses and camps on lakes in Maine and mom's family is scattered between Maryland and North Carolina.

I lived in both areas to be near family (especially ones that I did not know well) North Carolina really is not that bad, it is really beautiful cannot complain. As for Maine the homes we owned are way up north near Presque Isle and well I cannot deal with snow or having nothing to do because everything is 25 miles away. I love MA but cannot deal with the snow.

As for Florida been here for 2 years to be near my husbands extended family and well I am all set. What you see for posters in the Florida forum is what you deal with for most people on a regular basis, sweet to you if they think they can con you but turn on you in a heart beat if you let them know you are wise to them. If you have the New England mentality, you probably will not like Florida.

This is my opinion as I see it, maybe not necessarily a fact (disclaimer )

Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
South Texas is affordable, friendly, and growing. Even San Antonio has palm tees. Expand your search and you will find that there is a large area of South Texas that will be right for you.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
though i dislike Corpus Christi and all of South Texas, i guarantee that Texas overall, is much much friendlier than the other states you mentioned, with the Carolinas trailing not too far behind. definitely NOT Florida. no way!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:24 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,180 times
Petertherock- I've lived in Houston for 22 years and I've been in Corpus Christi for the last 3 years. So I have some experience with the area and hopefully what I have to say will help you understand more of what it is like down here.

First of all, Corpus Christi isn't just warm - it's downright hot. The summers are long and brutal. This year hasn't been too bad actually. We've been in the upper 80's and lower 90's so far, but it's always humid with somewhat of a breeze coming off the Gulf. So if the scorching heat and stickiness doesn't bother you and you have good air conditioning in your car and home - you'll be set for 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months out of the year, this place is spectacular. Spring, Fall, Winter...it's all the same here. Sometimes we'll get a cold snap (two Christmas' ago we had a white Christmas with 4" on the ground!) but they're brief. Those 3 months almost can make you forget just how hot it gets down here...almost.

Corpus is just a big, small town. If that makes any sense at all. There's stuff to do, but not as much as a bigger city like San Antonio (2 hours away) or Houston (3 hours). If you like to fish, you'll be in heaven. If you like the beach, ditto. Lot's of water sports here. There are two big shopping malls, only one of which I recommend going to. Everything else is all on one main corridor called SPID (South Padre Island Drive). That's where you'll find the restaurants, the specialty shops, car dealerships, etc. There's a couple movie theaters around town. Lot's of bars around too. Downtown Corpus is pretty neat. There are some really good restaurants there. One popular one is called the Water Street Restaurant. Downtown also has a very nice waterfront, seawall and marina. It's a great place to go for an evening walk if that's your kind of thing.

As far as housing costs, I've lived in a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1100 sq.ft. apartment that cost me $790/mo. Other "luxury" apartments will cost more. I have what I consider an average apartment. It's not in a gated community with your own private parking spot, but it's very clean and well maintained. Whatever your housing needs are, you'll be able to find it here. The cost of living in general is lower here than almost anywhere else in the country. Gas prices are low...we're paying $2.54 for regular right now. Because it's not a huge city, your insurance premiums should also be lower. Our sales tax is 8.25% which, to me, is pretty high.

Now after saying all of that, I'm moving to Wyoming in about 3 weeks and I can't wait. For me, it's that I'm sick and tired of the heat/humidity. I'm not sure how humid it gets in Maine but I know it's definitely hotter here so keep that in mind. Everyone is different though so you never know. You should visit once in the heat of the summer...then realize that it will only get cooler. If after experiencing that and you still think you could handle it, then you should be golden.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Great post, navyvet. You described Corpus perfectly.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:40 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
I like Corpus Christi, it is a great city. I haven't lived there, so I can't tell you much. I have vacationed there alot and the food and shopping are good. The beaches are nice. I wouldn't mind living there if I had the option. It is certainly warm. Housing in Corpus is very affordable. It really is a nice city. It isn't too big, but not so small either. Lots of growth going in all over the region. I personally like Port Aransas and the part of Corpus on Mustang Island. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times
what navyvet79 said is true.

ive lived in the coastal bend area for over 10yrs.

cost of living is CHEAP. crime is low. fun is had. san antonio/austin/houston/galvaston etc. are a hop skip jump away.

the heat/humidity can be a problem to most northerners. some adapt though.

i didnt care for the humidity or the heat but being near that bayfront breeze for an hour a week at least almost takes care of it. lol

ive adapted to the heat being there that long. i didnt really mind it much after awhile.

its not that big of deal. people have ac now.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 PM

167 posts, read 876,996 times
Default Love Corpus

I love Corpus Christi!! That is probably because its my hometown. It is such a beautiful city.. Also it is not huge, but there are things to do, and you arent far from San Antonio which has a ton of things to do. I really miss TX so much! People are really nice there.. I am in FL right now by the way.. Near Jacksonville FL.. Actually people are very friendly here also.. and I lived in South and North Carolina and also found friendly people. Anyway, I dont know how the job market is down there right now, havent lived there in a long time, but I definitely think its worth checking into.. And it is hot, but I guess you get used to it. Its hot in most of the south these days these days anyway. Good luck to you with wherever you decide to move!

Jen

Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 11,506 times
Default Corpus Is Probably Not What You Want

I have lived in corpus for a very long time. It will be a huge culture shock for you. For one we have very high crime. People just visiting corpus have absolutely no say in how good of a city it is. They probably stayed on the island the whole time

The ghetto is every where. CHeap housing, but you'll live right int he middle of crime the entire time. Better get your conceal carry.

Good bars open up but the ghetto finds them before long.. then if you look at someone the wrong way expect to get beaten.. Corpus has a very high agrevated assault crime rate. YOu can look this information up if you dont believe me. Corpus crime is very high considering how small it is. Also has very many sex offenders. for every 400 or so people in corpus at least 1 is a registered sex offender.

the economy is very depressed.. THis is partly because of the city government. They try to make it a tourist city, but fail to offer incentives for good jobs to come in and to keep good people in the city.

I'd keep looking if I was you. Austin texas is a much nicer place. Similar rents. Renting in corpus is expensive because there are literally thousands of home foreclosures thanks to crazy lending practices by banks. subprime hit corpus like a rock.

Austin has a lot of high paying jobs, lots of colleges, highly educated people are the majority. Also there is tons of culture there where as corpus has nothing.

Corpus has lots of potential, but it has always had just that.. potential.. the city government does nothing to bring high class to the city.. that is why it's poor and you can get "cheap rent" which is what you are after.. Even though rents are high right now..

I'm sorry but you really can't find a great place by the ocean and expect it to be cheap. Everyone loves the coast.. so nice cities with things to do and low crime will only attract high paying jobs and big houses and big rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi