Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 13,376 times

Advertisements

I pretty much have to move to CC. Is there any place I could live or hang out where people are not so conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:25 PM

220 posts, read 454,148 times
Depends on how strict your definition of liberal is and what issues matter to you.

I'm a libertarian who tends to vote Republican, but I have plenty of family and some friends who vote Democrat as do a large chunk of Corpus. That being said I wouldn't consider most of them liberal, atleast not the kind of liberals you would find in the Northeast or West coast.

With that being said FBHO.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldorf View Post
I pretty much have to move to CC. Is there any place I could live or hang out where people are not so conservative?
Unfortunately, CC is pretty conservative and backwoods. The Catholic church and its teachings dominate much of the populace's thinking. Most people just mind their own business. There are some progressive folk, environmentalists, artists. I would try the Art Center, first fridays downtown at schatzell & mesquite, Democratic party events, Half Price Books coffee shop.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times
Downtown Corpus, coffee shops, Rockport, and perhaps some spots on the Island would be your best bet. Places where winter Texans tend to congregate. Like wehotex said (although I disagree with the backwoods commentary), most folks just keep to themselves on their political views. Understand that most of this deeper end of S. Texas, that folks tend to live a slower way of life, and things tend to crawl as far as momentum goes, although Corpus has been getting more progressive in regards to economic expansion, in particular with the projects going on in Calallen, the Island, Staples St improvements, etc.

Last edited by txsizzler; 06-30-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 05:17 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,647 times
Quote:
The Catholic church and its teachings dominate much of the populace's thinking.
I think everyone considers the Catholic Church to be extremely liberal except on matters of contraception, abortion, and divorce.

CC has two college campuses and every social affair for staff and faculty I've attended was dominated by liberal ideology.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I think everyone considers the Catholic Church to be extremely liberal except on matters of contraception, abortion, and divorce.

CC has two college campuses and every social affair for staff and faculty I've attended was dominated by liberal ideology.
Only a Corpus christian would say that!! Ever heard of the church's stance on gay rights?- they call us "intrinsically disordered" and consider us sub-human. That's not liberal, that's backwards and darn right hateful. You're talking about colleges Hell, you could probably find liberals among even A & M faculty. Amazingly, Corpus has joined the 21st century and now even has a gay-straight alliance club at Flour Blf High School, after much protest. this would have been unheard of when I went to school back in the 80s. So, would a lot of things.
Church is NOT liberal on abortion and never has been!! Where did you ever get that idea? Divorce is frowned upon, but accepted. To remarry in the church, the couple (as long as they are opposite sex) just have to come up with enough $$ to give the church to "overcome" their sin. Not enough $$ in the world for them to marry a same sex couple.
If you're liberal and are thinking about coming to CC, please don't do it!!! You will HATE it. San Antonio is not much better. Houston, the city of Dallas and Austin are more progressive.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM

286 posts, read 569,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If you're liberal and are thinking about coming to CC, please don't do it!!! You will HATE it. San Antonio is not much better. Houston, the city of Dallas and Austin are more progressive.
I don't know that this is able to be a blanket statement.
I'm pretty socially liberal, as are many people I know. I don't go out of my way to judge people, and haven't been judged since living here.
Sure, the church does that, but I've never been to any church (except biker and jail churches) where the people weren't judgemental.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,647 times
I said the Catholic Church was liberal, I didn't say it was stupid or progressive. The whole idea of marriage is for a man and wife to replace their parents and to continue the human race, two people of the same sex cannot produce children. The Church considers this to be a waste of time and a ridiculous, sinful, idea. The Church tenants on marriage are the same as Jesus taught 2000 years ago,, "For this shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they together shall be one flesh". There,,, is that so hard to understand? I think that's in Matthew 19:5. I may not have the quote exact but I'm sure I'm pretty close. Pretty basic stuff.

The Catholic Church has been in the forefront of liberal ideology with regards to human rights, worldwide, since forever. Creating sanctuary for persecuted undocumented workers here in the US, for other people fleeing from oppression from Central American dictators/militias, etc., being outspoken about problems in China, etc. There's more to being a liberal than just supporting gay rights. Mostly it has to do with compassion for the human condition. Your rant on the wrongs of the Church about same sex marriage shows you to be a rather narrow minded, self centered egoist. Get over yourself, in the overall scheme of what's wrong with the world, gay's problems are not that important. The Catholic Church takes on far bigger and more deadly issues everyday.

Do not confuse being liberal with being progressive

Last edited by jbtx; 07-01-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I said the Catholic Church was liberal, I didn't say it was stupid or progressive. The whole idea of marriage is for a man and wife to replace their parents and to continue the human race, two people of the same sex cannot produce children. The Church considers this to be a waste of time and a ridiculous, sinful, idea. The Church tenants on marriage are the same as Jesus taught 2000 years ago,, "For this shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they together shall be one flesh". There,,, is that so hard to understand? I think that's in Matthew 19:5. I may not have the quote exact but I'm sure I'm pretty close. Pretty basic stuff.

The Catholic Church has been in the forefront of liberal ideology with regards to human rights, worldwide, since forever. Creating sanctuary for persecuted undocumented workers here in the US, for other people fleeing from oppression from Central American dictators/militias, etc., being outspoken about problems in China, etc. There's more to being a liberal than just supporting gay rights. Mostly it has to do with compassion for the human condition. Your rant on the wrongs of the Church about same sex marriage shows you to be a rather narrow minded, self centered egoist. Get over yourself, in the overall scheme of what's wrong with the world, gay's problems are not that important. The Catholic Church takes on far bigger and more deadly issues everyday.

Do not confuse being liberal with being progressive
Case in point. This is why a Liberal has no business in a backwards city like Corpus Christi. You can't change retarded ways of thinking that the majority holds.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
My husband and I are very liberal and there are enough like-minded people here that there's no need to feel isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi