Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times

Advertisements

A really good way to get into the culture in Corpus Christi is to bookmark a couple of the news stations and check in every few days to see the local events. I think they are pretty good about reporting both the good and bad. You will not only see the latest crime and traffic incidents (usually a DWI accident or weather related) but you will get a flavor of the events going on around town.

Going out late at night is a matter of being careful and aware of your surroundings. Do not be texting or checking your email while you walk to your vehicle, have your keys out, look to see if anyone is in your view. Head up, eyes forward. And once you are driving you need to keep your mind on the road. DWI is big here, not just on weekends, all the time 24/7, but especially in the wee hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 15,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Thank you for the warning about the bugs and the offer to help! I am just shocked out of my mind at the crime and the police advise about not going out late at night. I am often out late at night, for both work and caregiving reasons.
The advice given from the media and others is good way to stay aware and safe, but please don't buy into the hype given to these incidents. They are only being reported because they are uncommonly random but are suspected to be connected, which is unusual here. These crimes are not even a hand full of incidents compared to the population approaching 400,000. In a larger city, these crimes would not likely even be reported on the news. Most of the violent crime here happens between relatives or friends/acquaintances.
Crime is everywhere. Corpus is a relatively safe city. If you expose yourself to the criminal elements/areas, you are more likely to become a victim of a crime. Pretty logical I think.
Be aware of your surroundings and you should be able to avoid becoming a victim of crime anywhere you are.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:46 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINS View Post
The advice given from the media and others is good way to stay aware and safe, but please don't buy into the hype given to these incidents. They are only being reported because they are uncommonly random but are suspected to be connected, which is unusual here. These crimes are not even a hand full of incidents compared to the population approaching 400,000. In a larger city, these crimes would not likely even be reported on the news. Most of the violent crime here happens between relatives or friends/acquaintances.
Crime is everywhere. Corpus is a relatively safe city. If you expose yourself to the criminal elements/areas, you are more likely to become a victim of a crime. Pretty logical I think.
Be aware of your surroundings and you should be able to avoid becoming a victim of crime anywhere you are.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

[b]The table above provides a full overview of all reported crimes in Corpus Christi, TX for the year. The sum of recorded criminal acts in Corpus Christi, TX is displayed; for comparisons, each offense is also shown in regards to the amount of offenses per 100,000 people. Along with this, they are separated into multiple categories: violent crimes and property crimes. The crime data reveals that the overall Corpus Christi, TX crime rates are 43% higher than in comparison to the Texas mean and are 69% higher than the nation's mean. In regards to violent offenses, Corpus Christi, TX has a rate that is 50% higher than the Texas average; compared to the United States, it is 67% higher than. Looking at crimes involving property, Corpus Christi, TX is 42% higher than its state's mean, and 70% higher than the country's average.

Crime in Corpus Christi is perhaps a little beyond the de minimis conditions some would tout

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 05:16 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 AM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
I know I am a "clingy" and "needy" poster here on City-Data.

But the crime has me worried. I mean, there is crime, and there is crime.

For me, it isn't easy to avoid crime areas. I'm on a very limited budget. I have to go out and about at night many times due to caregiving. I also have to go out on hospital visits, etc. in my role in Human Resources. I'm often out very late, wee hours, etc.

I don't like to get panicky but I'm worried. I have 2 people I care for who are vulnerable. I love the sea, loved the Costal Bend area, but...I have to watch over them, and out for them.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:32 PM

I'm hoping some of the CC denizens will see this - tacking in onto the end of this thread because it says "Please update this thread..." --

I read on another site that the area off Ocean Drive, with the streets Waverly, Whitehall, Canterbury, to the west I guess it is (away from the ocean), is not good. They said it was weird trashy people. Any idea if this is true, because there are some good prices there. I can't recall clearly even though I drove that area and looked on streetview to job my memory. Thank you!!!!

Happy Weekend!!!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping some of the CC denizens will see this - tacking in onto the end of this thread because it says "Please update this thread..." --

I read on another site that the area off Ocean Drive, with the streets Waverly, Whitehall, Canterbury, to the west I guess it is (away from the ocean), is not good. They said it was weird trashy people. Any idea if this is true, because there are some good prices there. I can't recall clearly even though I drove that area and looked on streetview to job my memory. Thank you!!!!

Happy Weekend!!!
Go here Whitehall St: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2...3.99h,2.98p,1z

Learn to drive this program and check the neighborhood out for yourself. I wouldn't call it weird and trashy.
It's an old, once middle-class, neighborhood. May be a number of retired folks living on a somewhat fixed budget with their garden nomes.

Here's Canterbury: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2...-148.92h,5p,1z

And Waverly: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2....26h,-9.24p,1z

I would call them older, unassuming residential single family homes. Overlook those old redwood fences, they age fast. Maybe not cute, but remember. . . you pay for "Cute." You can charm it up yourself.

Switch to satellite view, scroll in, you can see what's in the backyards.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Go here Whitehall St: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2...3.99h,2.98p,1z

Learn to drive this program and check the neighborhood out for yourself. I wouldn't call it weird and trashy.
It's an old, once middle-class, neighborhood. May be a number of retired folks living on a somewhat fixed budget with their garden nomes.

Here's Canterbury: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2...-148.92h,5p,1z

And Waverly: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@2....26h,-9.24p,1z

I would call them older, unassuming residential single family homes. Overlook those old redwood fences, they age fast. Maybe not cute, but remember. . . you pay for "Cute." You can charm it up yourself.

Switch to satellite view, scroll in, you can see what's in the backyards.
It occurred to me I might show you my old rent house in Rockport. It sits right across the street from the bay. It was designed tough and tight as a casual beach vacation home for saltwater over spray. My very rich (and younger) girlfriend from Italy, who loved it, called it the "retro-pink house".... I had lots of blue morning glories and white moon flower vines that softened up the place. Morning glories and hibiscus do well in sandy soil nor are they impacted much by salt air.

I can't show you my old place near Seadrift. I had a 'No Trespassing' sign at the set-back front gate with a long winding driveway that bespoke privacy. That trumped Google Earth

Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 15,590 times
That area is a good area. It is definitely in a transition period. Meaning that investors and/or young couples are buying and fixing up the available homes. Some are renting to TAMUCC students given the proximity to the university. There is more value in this area than the south side of CC in my opinion, and I live nearby also. Remember, this is coming from someone that actually lives here.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:

Happy Weekend!!!
Sorry, didn't snap to that. Some folks don't know you can drive around on Street View. I was thinking you were probably trying to use it and hitting trees, parked cars, running across peoples front yard and stuff. It appears it was I who was driving and drinking tonight on Street View.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 AM

Rust, it won't let me give another rep point to you yet. But thank you for the information. I do the "streetview" and that's why it's so confusing sometimes to hear an area called trashy but the streetview just shows "modest" in my opinion.

PINS, thank you! I feel better about continuing to look for a place there. I liked that general area when I have visited but got kind of scared when hearing it was "trashy." I like MODEST, have no problem with cute old areas. Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi