Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a Corpus business trip yesterday. I hadn't been there in 20 years. I was only around the area where I-37 dead ends. Not sure if this is downtown or not.

Wow. All I can say is talk about missed opportunities. It is very nice but I can't believe there are so many empty lots available 1 block from the beach. There is SO MUCH potential for that area. I've always read about how city council keeps the city down but know I believe it. There's no other explanation why this area isn't built out and is a more lively area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Achtungpv,

I can understand your dismay.. but for some, maybe keeping Corpus a more laid back less tourist trap is a good thing?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 24,761 times
Don't move to Corpus Christi!! If you want the be near the Gulf Coast move to Rockport, Port Aransas, or even Portland TX. They are all smaller safer towns.

Corpus Christi has "gang member of the week" on the local TV station. It is a polluted sterile city with trash everywhere. There is not much of a downtown area and it is sketchy at best.

I have drive by shootings, stray animals, stray people on my street on a bi-monthly basis. I've lived here for 28 months and counting and I have called the cops no less than 15 times. I live on the south side of town...."the safer" area of town.

Two good thing about Corpus: migratory birds from up north and a nice minor league ball club called the "Hooks".
That's all folks.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:20 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,133 times
I have read on papers that I think it was on 2005 that Corpus's Crime went up 200%.
They reported uprises of crime in all the big texas cities that year and blamed it on the Katrina victims.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
totally agree. lobstah knows what he's talkin bout...and for those who might be inclined to bash me, no i did not live in corpus, but i worked in corpus, on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Don't move to Corpus Christi!! If you want the be near the Gulf Coast move to Rockport, Port Aransas, or even Portland TX. They are all smaller safer towns.

Corpus Christi has "gang member of the week" on the local TV station. It is a polluted sterile city with trash everywhere. There is not much of a downtown area and it is sketchy at best.

I have drive by shootings, stray animals, stray people on my street on a bi-monthly basis. I've lived here for 28 months and counting and I have called the cops no less than 15 times. I live on the south side of town...."the safer" area of town.

Two good thing about Corpus: migratory birds from up north and a nice minor league ball club called the "Hooks".
That's all folks.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Wow. Very over exaggerated! If you are going to type a message don't just make up stuff that is hardly true at all. There is no "gang members of the week" on t.v., nor is there drive by shootings all over the place. Check the actual data of the city on the website. The crime is low compared to many other city's and there are only around 20 murders a year. I would know. My dad has been a cop here for the last 15 years. And just like any city, Corpus has its nice neighborhoods and it has its not as nice neighborhoods. Every city is like that. I live in the north western edge of the city in the Calallen/Annaville area, and there is no crime out here at all. Calallen is one of the best schools in the state.

If you are going to bash on a city. Don't make stupid lies up. I don't really know what you are getting out of it, but there is no point.

Oh ya, downtown may not be the livelyist part of town, but city council is trying to re-vitalize the downtown area currently. Two buildings are currently being renovated to be turned into condo's. The city does have a beautiful downtown for its size though. Look at the pictures.

Anyways, Corpus may not be the best place in the world, but it does have what you need and has a lot of extra to offer as well.

I hope I helped!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:

That's all folks.
I've lived here for a total of 30 years and have never called the cops. Not sure where you are, but it's clearly not a "safer" area of town.

And Belle, it's completely clear that you did not like living in Kingsville. Fair enough--I used to work there and didn't like it at all. But CC and Kingsville are very different from one another and you never lived in CC. Driving over to work and shop is not the same as living here. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but you only spent a year in the area and never lived in CC--your opinions would be more informative if you would add that qualifier.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Quote:

That's all folks.
And there is trash everywhere? Really? Maybe you are talking about the city dump... I have been all over the city and then some and there isn't trash everywhere. There really isnt trash anywhere come to think of it. Corpus is a pretty clean city. The only thing really is refineries. But they are good for the city. They employ nearly 100,000 people I think it is.

Anyways, don't say BS. There is no point in it. And you just ruin peoples opinions and oppurtunities. So stay quiet if you aren't going to be honest.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
I just got back Saturday from Port Aransas, and was in the area all week, did lots of home searching and talking to people. Everyone I met was very friendly. After all that research, I found that Flour Bluff is an area on the ride, lots of new developments, good schools, rent and homes are affordable priced. Portland is also a very nice area with good schools, and is a bit higher priced to live in. Corpus has some issues I have not seen many other places. They also have gang issues, most people say its from San Antonio... and flares up during spring break, but most of the time its more mellow. Tagging is a real issue there, but the city is really starting to crack down on it, or so I am told.

But if I had to pick a place to live in the region, it would be Port Aransas, great schools, small community, rents are high but that helps keep the rift raft out.

I have found that the best way to find out about an area is to stand in it and talk to plenty of people that live there. From that you will get a real since of what the area offers and is all about. I know I would not live in Corpus Christi, but I would live in Portland, Flour Bluff, Port Aransas with no problems.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM

33 posts, read 181,482 times
I grew up in Corpus...went to Driscoll Junior High, Miller High School, then Gregory-Portland High School. We left in 1976 because the country was in a recession and wages were low. We moved to Houston, and there I experienced CRIME! Sure, Corpus is hot, but what isn't hot in Texas in the summer? If you want to shop, live in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. If you like crowds and noise, move to Austin. If you want to live a pretty much suburban lifestyle, where you can wear shorts or even a bathing suit to the mall, water the St. Augustine in the summer while you waive to your neighbors and be a couch potato in the winter, try Corpus. Just like anywhere else, stay out of the bad neighborhoods and don't go into dark, lonely areas by yourself after dark! Then you can sun, surf, fish, beachcomb, and just hang out to your heart's content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi