Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 09:31 AM

244 posts, read 804,130 times

Advertisements

Actually no part of those articles state that the city "shut down" the Crosstown Commons project. It's still in the works. Trust me. Besides, PF changs and the other places I mentioned are going in at the former Padre Staples Mall. The developers that purchased it have already started on a multi-million dollar renovation that's going to completely change that mall. I can read the newspaper too you know.

And no, the city did not run Toyota out of here. you people just make up stories...not sure why. But if that helps you get up in the morning....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:49 AM

And not only did Corpus Christi NOT run Toyota off, but the Port of Corpus christi secured the contract to ship their Tundras through our port. Quit spreading false information. What do you gain from it?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
I mentioned at least a dozen good restaurants. If you need directions, you can find them online. As far as the Symphony and Art museum, I only listed those because KerryB said there was no culture in Corpus Christi. I was replying to her post that there's nothing to do here and that CC is somehow not a "real" city. I think I've proven here wrong several times over. Yet no one acknowledges that.
Maybe because most those examples you listed are all third rate?? The museums, orchestra, etc dont get any good shows. Neither does any of the venues you mentioned. They just don't. And being culture rich doesnt mean having a "50-60% Hispanic population" & the rest whites & a few blacks scattered about.

And I've been to almost every one of those restaurants. A couple you mentioned are just OK, but nothing special by any means. Most close like way early in the afternoon, don't have that good of food, clientele sucks, have sports bar like atmospheres, etc. You know its true. Why not just throw Hooters & Wings N More in there too. And there's no real ethnic restaurants to really speak of. Slim pickins' in that department. And no, just having a crap load of Mexican restaurants doesn't count, cause I know you want it to.

Top tourists destinations?? Somehow I doubt that. Maybe around Port Aransas (which is still VERY small), but Im talking about Corpus proper. I apologize if Im wrong, but I'd love to see the stats to back up that claim. There's not many motels in the area at all, especially around downtown (like 2??). Even on Padre there's not much. So I'd like to know where all these people are staying when they visit CC & where they're going. I will admit the Jazz Fest is cool though.

And lets wait & see about the shopping thing. I hope it does come true because CC desperately needs it & they'd be stupid not to let it happen, but they've stopped it from happening before (the downtown mall project). So lets wait & see. You know as well as I do that it could easily fall through. But like I said, I hope it doesn't.

Im not trying to sound so negative, but Corpus REALLY has a lot of catching up to do because they've slept on these issues for so long. Spouting off a bunch of mediocre restaurants & venues isn't gonna change that fact. I've lived in/visited cities that have much less than the 300K population that Corpus has & they have way more going for them. Way more. Is Corpus one of the worst places to live? No, but it could/should be a hell of a lot better than what it is.

Quote:
And no, the city did not run Toyota out of here. you people just make up stories...not sure why. But if that helps you get up in the morning....
Dont say "you people", trying to paint the picture that everything thats been said here is false. Only one person said that.

I dare you to prove me wrong about the people voting against Sea World, the luxury resort on Padre or the walkable mall downtown.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
It is typical. They HATE progress of any kind. Dont forget the luxury resort they stopped from coming in on Padre Island recently, Sea World some years back, etc.
It's NOT that they "HATE progress of any kind". it's that these wealthy developers wanted city money (tax dollars) to fund it. corpus christi is not what i would call a wealthy town. property taxes are already quite high. my parents and other residents that i've spoken with were also not convinced that the westside location is good for "upscale" shopping. everybody refers to the shooting that occurred at tinseltown theater a while back. i'm not convinced that corpus has enough wealth to carry those high end stores. besides, some ppl ACTUALLY like to travel to san antonio to do their shopping. i would be for progress if the wealthy developers would be willing to take the appropriate risks on their own dime.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM

KerryB,

You didn't mention you were looking for 5 star restaurants. I could name a few of those as well. And the restaurants I listed are all great. Not sure what you're expecting. And clientele sucks? What the heck does that mean? I'd like to see any data you have on that.

The shopping thing is not only going to happen...it's already under construction.

Not one example I gave you is third rate. American Bank Center attracts big name shows on a regular basis. Whataburger Field was just ranked the #1 Minor League Venue in America (passing up some well-know minor league venues such as Nutter Center in Ohio). Broadway shows travel here all the time. And have you ever even been to the CC Symphony or the Ballet? I doubt it. It's top notch. They have guest performers from all over the world. And the venue they perform in is spectacular.

And Corpus Christi not a tourist destination? Not many hotels? Are you kidding me? There are almost 11,000 hotel rooms in the city and condos on the island (which is in city limits as well) There are 2 Omni Hotels in downtown alone (1,000 rooms between the two of them). San Antonio, a city of almost 2 million, doesn't even have two Omni hotels.

I really get the feeling you didn't get out much while you lived here. And it's a shame really because there are a lot of great places and people in this city and you're painting a much more negative picture than you should be. I'm sorry you had a bad experience here and you're entitled to your opinion, but there's no need to give so much unwarranted criticism to such a great place.

Good luck being happy in any other city. Because it sounds like you're be able to find fault in anything and anyone.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
KerryB,

You didn't mention you were looking for 5 star restaurants. I could name a few of those as well. And the restaurants I listed are all great. Not sure what you're expecting. And clientele sucks? What the heck does that mean? I'd like to see any data you have on that.

The shopping thing is not only going to happen...it's already under construction.

Not one example I gave you is third rate. American Bank Center attracts big name shows on a regular basis. Whataburger Field was just ranked the #1 Minor League Venue in America (passing up some well-know minor league venues such as Nutter Center in Ohio). Broadway shows travel here all the time. And have you ever even been to the CC Symphony or the Ballet? I doubt it. It's top notch. They have guest performers from all over the world. And the venue they perform in is spectacular.

And Corpus Christi not a tourist destination? Not many hotels? Are you kidding me? There are almost 11,000 hotel rooms in the city and condos on the island (which is in city limits as well) There are 2 Omni Hotels in downtown alone (1,000 rooms between the two of them). San Antonio, a city of almost 2 million, doesn't even have two Omni hotels.

I really get the feeling you didn't get out much while you lived here. And it's a shame really because there are a lot of great places and people in this city and you're painting a much more negative picture than you should be. I'm sorry you had a bad experience here and you're entitled to your opinion, but there's no need to give so much unwarranted criticism to such a great place.

Good luck being happy in any other city. Because it sounds like you're be able to find fault in anything and anyone.
if the crosstown commons project is underway, there goes your proof about city government doing what IT wants to do as opposed to what the taxpayers want. i hope that crosstown commons falls on its knees and those high end stores flee corpus with their tails betw their legs. the stores in padre staples mall are filthy and unkempt enough. what's a shopping center in gang banger westside going to look like?
i have to agree with you on whataburger field though. i was there on the weekend where justin timberlake was filming his movie. i'm glad that something like that has come to corpus. they need to repair and paint the harbor bridge though. it really shows its age. i've also been to a few of the broadway america shows that you spoke of. those are gems.
what are the 5 star restaurants that you are referring to anyway?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i have to agree with you on whataburger field though. i was there on the weekend where justin timberlake was filming his movie. i'm glad that something like that has come to corpus. they need to repair and paint the harbor bridge though. it really shows its age.
TXDOT is planning on connecting US 181 with the Crosstown Expressway. They are planning on building a new Harbor Bridge and tearing down the old. I think its a shame. I love the Harbor Bridge! I think its a beautiful bridge. All of this is still approximately 20 years away. They are still doing studies and feasibility checks I guess you can say.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:

Im really not trying to only find faults with Corpus & be negative. If you'd see some of my other posts on the subject, I do give the place a lot of positives for certain people that it would cater to perfectly.

Im trying to give an honest review from the perspective of someone who has been around. Because I think a lot of life long/long time residents will try to build it up as something its not, which I think is what you're trying to do. Corpus is what it is & I just don't want to give the people who are thinking of relocating there the wrong idea about what exactly it is.

Judging from most the posts here & in other threads (and also just word on the street in general), I think most people who were in my situation would agree with everything I've said here.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
when i was wined and dined and bribed with big bucks to take the job i took down in South Texas, they put me up in the Holiday Inn on the "beach" in Corpus Christi. you would THINK that a major hotel chain ON THE BEACH would not be such a DIVE, and would keep their beachfront clean and nice. NOPE. it was so ghetto. ugh. that should have been my FIRST sign that things werent right down there. but i was money hungry. i learned my lesson...never sell your soul to the devil

Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM

[quote=wehotex;5088998]if the crosstown commons project is underway, there goes your proof about city government doing what IT wants to do as opposed to what the taxpayers want. i hope that crosstown commons falls on its knees and those high end stores flee corpus with their tails betw their legs. the stores in padre staples mall are filthy and unkempt enough. what's a shopping center in gang banger westside going to look like?quote]

I'm actually talking about Padre Staples Mall (now rebranded as La Palmera) It was recently sold to Trademark Properties and construction started quickly after. The Commons project will probably be scaled down, but there is definitely still a need for it. Not so much upscale shops but more general retail. A recent study showed that the city of CC could support another 5 million sq feet of retail and I totally agree since many stores here only have one location which is odd for a city of 300K. Finally out of down developers are starting to take notice of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi