U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM

22 posts, read 134,813 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have an employment opportunity in Corpus Christi. I've never been to Texas so I could use a little help/advice. Is the Corpus Christi area a good place to live and raise a family? I've read a lot of posts on here that bash Corpus Christi. We currently live in the Florida Panhandle and have three children, ages 5, 8 and 10. I don't want to live in the city, but don't want to commute too far either.
Thanks for the help,
Phil

Last edited by rottysofpdl; 02-20-2008 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,986,445 times
If you take the time to use the Search function on this page you can see that there are many topics on Corpus Christi.. here are a few opinions I grabbed at random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet79 View Post
Petertherock- I've lived in Houston for 22 years and I've been in Corpus Christi for the last 3 years. So I have some experience with the area and hopefully what I have to say will help you understand more of what it is like down here.

First of all, Corpus Christi isn't just warm - it's downright hot. The summers are long and brutal. This year hasn't been too bad actually. We've been in the upper 80's and lower 90's so far, but it's always humid with somewhat of a breeze coming off the Gulf. So if the scorching heat and stickiness doesn't bother you and you have good air conditioning in your car and home - you'll be set for 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months out of the year, this place is spectacular. Spring, Fall, Winter...it's all the same here. Sometimes we'll get a cold snap (two Christmas' ago we had a white Christmas with 4" on the ground!) but they're brief. Those 3 months almost can make you forget just how hot it gets down here...almost.

Corpus is just a big, small town. If that makes any sense at all. There's stuff to do, but not as much as a bigger city like San Antonio (2 hours away) or Houston (3 hours). If you like to fish, you'll be in heaven. If you like the beach, ditto. Lot's of water sports here. There are two big shopping malls, only one of which I recommend going to. Everything else is all on one main corridor called SPID (South Padre Island Drive). That's where you'll find the restaurants, the specialty shops, car dealerships, etc. There's a couple movie theaters around town. Lot's of bars around too. Downtown Corpus is pretty neat. There are some really good restaurants there. One popular one is called the Water Street Restaurant. Downtown also has a very nice waterfront, seawall and marina. It's a great place to go for an evening walk if that's your kind of thing.

As far as housing costs, I've lived in a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1100 sq.ft. apartment that cost me $790/mo. Other "luxury" apartments will cost more. I have what I consider an average apartment. It's not in a gated community with your own private parking spot, but it's very clean and well maintained. Whatever your housing needs are, you'll be able to find it here. The cost of living in general is lower here than almost anywhere else in the country. Gas prices are low...we're paying $2.54 for regular right now. Because it's not a huge city, your insurance premiums should also be lower. Our sales tax is 8.25% which, to me, is pretty high.

Now after saying all of that, I'm moving to Wyoming in about 3 weeks and I can't wait. For me, it's that I'm sick and tired of the heat/humidity. I'm not sure how humid it gets in Maine but I know it's definitely hotter here so keep that in mind. Everyone is different though so you never know. You should visit once in the heat of the summer...then realize that it will only get cooler. If after experiencing that and you still think you could handle it, then you should be golden.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
I love Corpus Christi!! That is probably because its my hometown. It is such a beautiful city.. Also it is not huge, but there are things to do, and you arent far from San Antonio which has a ton of things to do. I really miss TX so much! People are really nice there.. I am in FL right now by the way.. Near Jacksonville FL.. Actually people are very friendly here also.. and I lived in South and North Carolina and also found friendly people. Anyway, I dont know how the job market is down there right now, havent lived there in a long time, but I definitely think its worth checking into.. And it is hot, but I guess you get used to it. Its hot in most of the south these days these days anyway. Good luck to you with wherever you decide to move!

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpusrat View Post
I have lived in corpus for a very long time. It will be a huge culture shock for you. For one we have very high crime. People just visiting corpus have absolutely no say in how good of a city it is. They probably stayed on the island the whole time

The ghetto is every where. CHeap housing, but you'll live right int he middle of crime the entire time. Better get your conceal carry.

Good bars open up but the ghetto finds them before long.. then if you look at someone the wrong way expect to get beaten.. Corpus has a very high agrevated assault crime rate. YOu can look this information up if you dont believe me. Corpus crime is very high considering how small it is. Also has very many sex offenders. for every 400 or so people in corpus at least 1 is a registered sex offender.

the economy is very depressed.. THis is partly because of the city government. They try to make it a tourist city, but fail to offer incentives for good jobs to come in and to keep good people in the city.

I'd keep looking if I was you. Austin texas is a much nicer place. Similar rents. Renting in corpus is expensive because there are literally thousands of home foreclosures thanks to crazy lending practices by banks. subprime hit corpus like a rock.

Austin has a lot of high paying jobs, lots of colleges, highly educated people are the majority. Also there is tons of culture there where as corpus has nothing.

Corpus has lots of potential, but it has always had just that.. potential.. the city government does nothing to bring high class to the city.. that is why it's poor and you can get "cheap rent" which is what you are after.. Even though rents are high right now..

I'm sorry but you really can't find a great place by the ocean and expect it to be cheap. Everyone loves the coast.. so nice cities with things to do and low crime will only attract high paying jobs and big houses and big rents.
Now if that is not enough info, do a search and look at all the threads about the area. I have heard some very negative stuff about the city and how its run. I have vacationed there and have friends there.. and have enjoyed it. I have even considered living there, but after a deeper look into how things are kept and run.. I decided not to. For me its a great place to visit, but I don't think I would live there.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:24 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,626,749 times
I just read this on AOL Money and Finance if weather is of any consideration for you.
Corpus Christi, Texas

Hottest Feeling City

Storms may be scarier, but heat usually causes more American deaths than any kind of weather. And Corpus Christi is the hottest city in the U.S., averaging a heat index of 110 for July and August. At that temperature, sunstroke, heat cramps and heat exhaustion are all likely.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:15 AM

10,353 posts, read 12,630,546 times
I would move their just for their food if I were able to do that. Everything tastes fresher there. Not sure why.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM

3,494 posts, read 12,932,022 times
i have written enough about my experience living and working in the Corpus Christi area..all you have to do is do a search on my previous posts to read about the many reasons. all i can say is that, as a person who has had a life long love affair with the State of Texas, and lived here most of my life, that one year there, was the most negative unhappy experience i have ever had. if Corpus Christi were the only place in Texas i could live, i would leave the state (and believe me, i am a PROUD Texan and wouldnt ever want to leave the state again). i am a country girl and would never live in a "city", but i would rather live in any other big city in Texas over Corpus.
just be sure that you REALLY spend a good week or more there, and not just at Padre Island, to get a good "feel" for the place, to make sure it is right for you.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 PM

48,517 posts, read 83,512,598 times
Being as you live in the panhandle of florida ;you might like corpus. I use to vaction for a monmth each year in the destin area. There are differences tho. Not as pretty water as say destin and not the facilities. But it is alot more unspoiled and certainly cheaper property to property.Padre island is one of the most unspoiled beach areas in the country and is very close. If you fish;believe it or not fishing for alot of species is far better than florida because of the less pressure. Property in likie destin can be very high ;like 1 million for a beach frnot lot in destin that is pretty small.I definitely would take a trip first tho.Certainly central texas is nice but that type of area was not the question since you have a job offer and is apples to oranges anyway. Personally I always thought the panhandle of florida was a much nicer place to visit than actually live and work there myself becuase of cost and work opportunity.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 PM

9,241 posts, read 23,365,848 times
I've never had a bad experience in Corpus and my mom and her side of the family all live in that area or have lived there. I've always found the people friendly and there are always things to do. It is very humid though. And I agree about the food. Every time I've eaten somewhere there, it's always been very good.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,727,966 times
You can also look at my old comments on CC and see the opposite of what the CC bashers say. I've lived here for 30 out of my 46 years and like it fine. The worst thing about it is the weather.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 68,319 times
Default Thinking about moving to Corpus, too

I've read all the horrible posts about Corpus which is scary. But I am a life time Texan who grew up in North Texas (boring) and then spent 9 years in Dallas (strip malls, strippers, $30,000 millionaires.) I live in Austin now, moved here to get away from the hustle and bustle of Dallas and now Austin is getting to be too much due to the heavy, heavy traffic, pretentious hipsters, and lack of quality housing and high rent.

I want to live in a smaller town so I am considering Corpus. I LOVE Port Aransas but am not sure I can make a living there. But if I moved to Corpus I could make a living (I'm a stylist) and go to Port A as often as I want!

I visited a few weeks ago, and while yes I did see a lot of boxy Wal Mart looking places, I did see some cool, Austin-ey places like Ying Yang Fandango Tea Room. My friend is renting a really cool place by the beach, a 3 bdrm for $725.00. That's amazing! I love the water.

I hope I can read some more positive posts.

If anyone thinks I can make it down there as a hairstylist, that would be very helpful if you can give me insite on that.

Austin has not been so lucrative for me as a stylist. Plus I've heard it is the lowest paying city for most job fields- teaching, nursing, etc.

thanks for any help.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM

9,241 posts, read 23,365,848 times
I think you could do fine as a hairstylist there. I love Corpus and have NEVER, in my 38 years of experience with it (I know, I said my age darn it) have I had a bad experience or heard of any of my family who lives there having bad experiences. It is pretty humid there, moreso than Houston, but it doesn't always get hotter than anywhere else in Texas.

As for how things are run there. People don't live forever and hold office in perpetuity or anything. They have elections as they do anywhere else, so if people really want to change things, then they ought to be voting their conscience and doing something about it rather than kicking the ground and grumbling about it. I agree with something someone posted once about Corpus not wanting to turn into another super resort city, because then it would just be like any other place, although doing some sprucing up and bringing in some new business isn't a bad idea.

There are a lot of hispanics in the area, but they're pretty much all over Texas so that's a non issue. You don't have to speak only Spanish to get along there unless you're patronizing a business run by someone who doesn't speak English in an area of town that is about 100% Mexican/Spanish. And frankly, it wouldn't be the same place without that culture, just like San Antonio wouldn't or El Paso.

I love being able to be just a short drive to the beach, or to the bay to fish. Or watersports. There is plenty to do. The people are friendly, same as any town in Texas.

Just a few of my observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or