Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am driving from Corpus Christi to Seattle Washington. I am driving a small car during the winter months, and I am not sure which route is the best. I need the best route that avoids all mountain passes. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:28 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Check the weather a week, a few days, even the day of your trip and decide based on that.

Driving up 25 on the front range is often clear, but that depends. It can get messy around Cheyenne.

The other option is New Mexico, I'm not as familiar with the rough patches.

I 84 can get rough up NW of Ontario. It depends.

Look up a few options, and watch the weather. Make sure your car has emergency gear, sleeping bag etc.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:27 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
There is no way to avoid all mountain passes.

I would avoid 40 through Flagstaff. Avoid 395 in CA in the winter. Avoid Salt Lake City.

Take I-10 all the way to Las Vegas. There will be mountains in AZ, but you are in AZ so not likely you will encounter snow. Then head up 95 to Reno. It is flat but be cautious if it is cold, wet windy. There is not much in the middle of NV but the highway patrol is very good in the rural areas between LV and Reno. Go west on I-80 to Sacramento. You will go over Donner Summit but unless there is a snowstorm, any car can make it over. They keep it very well maintained in the winter. Then head up I-5 towards Seattle. You will go uphill again around Shasta. Again, it all depends on the weather. Have contingencies.

You will need to keep up on the weather. No matter how good a route is "usually" there is always exceptions due to weather. If it's not looking good the night before, stay another day. If the weather starts to turn while on the road, find a place to get off and find a hotel early, rather than late...while it's still light out. Get plenty of rest. Carry plenty of water and food. When our daughter did the trip many times as a college student she carried the Hotties hand warmers and warm clothes in case of a break down, if she had to stay in an unheated car until help arrived.

We have done this trip frequently, and from CC to Reno 3-4 times each year. Good places to overnight are El Paso the first night. Then Las Vegas. Reno or Sacramento. Medford or Portland. The whole trip is about 35-40 hours in good weather. There are shorter routes but there will be more mountains and fewer truck stops and hotels along the way. We shoot for 10 hour days.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:30 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
There is no way to avoid all mountain passes.

I would avoid 40 through Flagstaff. Avoid 395 in CA in the winter. Avoid Salt Lake City.

Take I-10 all the way to Las Vegas. There will be mountains in AZ, but you are in AZ so not likely you will encounter snow. Then head up 95 to Reno. It is flat but be cautious if it is cold, wet windy. There is not much in the middle of NV but the highway patrol is very good in the rural areas between LV and Reno. Go west on I-80 to Sacramento. You will go over Donner Summit but unless there is a snowstorm, any car can make it over. They keep it very well maintained in the winter. Then head up I-5 towards Seattle. You will go uphill again around Shasta. Again, it all depends on the weather. Have contingencies.

You will need to keep up on the weather. No matter how good a route is "usually" there is always exceptions due to weather. If it's not looking good the night before, stay another day. If the weather starts to turn while on the road, find a place to get off and find a hotel early, rather than late...while it's still light out. Get plenty of rest. Carry plenty of water and food. When our daughter did the trip many times as a college student she carried the Hotties hand warmers and warm clothes in case of a break down, if she had to stay in an unheated car until help arrived.

We have done this trip frequently, and from CC to Reno 3-4 times each year. Good places to overnight are El Paso the first night. Then Las Vegas. Reno or Sacramento. Medford or Portland. The whole trip is about 35-40 hours in good weather. There are shorter routes but there will be more mountains and fewer truck stops and hotels along the way. We shoot for 10 hour days.
I-10 does not goes to Vegas.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I-10 does not goes to Vegas.
Presumably he means Take I-10 to go to Phoenix and take 93 to Vegas? But yeah you are right, I-10 doesn't go to Vegas.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post

I can't repeat this enough. One time my folk and I spent and extra 3 days in Cheyenne because of snow, but that is better than getting stuck.

Donner Pass in California is ticky. If it's clear its no big deal, but one time I got stuck there for an extra 8 hours because of snow. 395 can be a good alternative if headed north.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Presumably he means Take I-10 to go to Phoenix and take 93 to Vegas? But yeah you are right, I-10 doesn't go to Vegas.
I was thinking that too.Thanks...

Old 11-11-2018, 12:22 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Ooops, yes, 93 out of Phoenix to LV.

Our daughter drove this route every winter from CC to NV without problems. But she always had contingencies. Driving anywhere north of 40 in the winter will always be a wait and see game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi