Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 AM

12 posts, read 68,351 times

Advertisements

Hi
My family is considering a move to TX. Possible job in the Port Aransas/Port Aransas Pass area. Looking for a home with some acreage. (rural) Reading the post leads me to look at the Rockport or Ingleside areas. Could anyone help with some big differences between the two. Have child going to high school so education is also important factor. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
i have heard great things about both, but heard Rockport is VERY expensive. sorry i dont know any details, but good luck! hope yall like fishing or surfing or just going to the beach!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 32,468 times
Smile Port Aransas

There is a huge dufferene between Port Aransas and Aransas Pass. There is a big difference between Ingleside and Rockport. Rockport is somewhat larger and is very into the "arts". Many people from around Texas have homes there.Also, many people from the Corpus Christi area have weekend homes there. Ingleside grew once the Navy placed their mine warfare center there, but I believe that may be closing. Ingleside would be more affordable with acreatge than Rockport. Rockport in a coastal town and the prices are high.

Port Aransas is on mustang island/north Padre Island. IT is a huge touris town in the spring and summer. They have excellent schools there. There are many restaurants but most people go into Corpus Christi for shopping,medical care and movies.

Aransas Pass is more of a fishing community. I do not know about their schools. It is on the mainland and no where near as expensive as Port Aransas or Rockport. I know all these areas well, as I lived in Corpus Christi for 22 years

Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 PM

Thank you for the feedback. We are currently living in a small coastal town so that would not be much of a cultural shock. Also have to travel for dinner, movies, medical care, etc.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:44 PM

Any opinions on the portland/Gregory area?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janea View Post
Port Aransas is on mustang island/north Padre Island. IT is a huge touris town in the spring and summer. They have excellent schools there. There are many restaurants but most people go into Corpus Christi for shopping,medical care and movies.
are housing prices high in Port Aransas?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM

19 posts, read 52,857 times
I would definitely look into Ingleside. I have lived here for 7 years, and I would choose it before Rockport, esp w/a high school child. Aransas, heck no! Gangs and violence. Ingleside school system is going though some changes, but as long as your child has a good educational foundation, he or she should be fine. Gregory/Portland is very nice also. My son graduated from IHS in 2005, and my youngest son is entering the 7th grade.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Ingleside schools were just rated as _ "Academically Unacceptable" by the state and as Texas lags the rest of the country in education - you might re-consider. Otherwise Ingleside has cheap land- building a house might be nice- its lost population because of the Navy leaving.

Rockport and Port Aransas have the best schools in the area- Gregory Portland did as well but they are now rated only as "Acceptable" Both of the above towns have their own identity and both are more expensive to live in than the others, but at the moment bargains abound.

Aransas Pass is plagued by drugs and perhaps the worst city government in Texas. They keep hiring and firing city managers and in the interim the bowling alley owner is appointed- he was even appointed judge and is totally unqualified. They make land deals that bite them .. its just a mess.
The schools are so so.

These school ratings just came out in the last month- check the Texas Education Agency for the details school by school. Interestingly enough Aransas County ISD and Port Aransas ISD have the lowest tax rates in the area.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Ingleside schools were just rated as _ "Academically Unacceptable" by the state and as Texas lags the rest of the country in education - you might re-consider. Otherwise Ingleside has cheap land- building a house might be nice- its lost population because of the Navy leaving.

Rockport and Port Aransas have the best schools in the area- Gregory Portland did as well but they are now rated only as "Acceptable" Both of the above towns have their own identity and both are more expensive to live in than the others, but at the moment bargains abound.

Aransas Pass is plagued by drugs and perhaps the worst city government in Texas. They keep hiring and firing city managers and in the interim the bowling alley owner is appointed- he was even appointed judge and is totally unqualified. They make land deals that bite them .. its just a mess.
The schools are so so.

These school ratings just came out in the last month- check the Texas Education Agency for the details school by school. Interestingly enough Aransas County ISD and Port Aransas ISD have the lowest tax rates in the area.
I was going to link this thread to a post you wrote earlier. You beat me.

see what ocean 2026 wrote about Port Aransas.

Calallen or Gregory-Portland?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
This thread is 2.5 years old. Someone seems to be resurrecting old threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi