U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,509,986 times

Advertisements

I'll check the next time there. Hey Awecelot you want to go in with me and buy the church building on 1212 Sam Rankin? They are asking way way too much $215k but we could get it much cheaper (trust me). It could be made into offices with an upstairs residence. Of course this isnt the time to buy real estate - but down the road I will give it another look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM

245 posts, read 712,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayor007 View Post
yeah, I'm not from Texas, but they have some thing called reverse racism down here. The Mexicians are racist towards whites. the first time it happen to me I laughed i couldn't believe it
Now I get it why you're so negative about Corpus Christi. You couldn't get along with anyone. I'm white and have no problem with reverse discrimination.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM

245 posts, read 712,159 times
I think this are has tremendous potential to make a comeback. It's located pretty close to Whataburger Field which has already helped begin a transformation of the area with new bars/restaurants moving. There are even plans for an office condo project and an retail development around the ballpark. Should be interesting to see that area in a few years. Now, if we could just get the Harbor Bridge replacement project on the fast track, we'll be in good shape.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,567,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
I think this are has tremendous potential to make a comeback. It's located pretty close to Whataburger Field which has already helped begin a transformation of the area with new bars/restaurants moving. There are even plans for an office condo project and an retail development around the ballpark. Should be interesting to see that area in a few years. Now, if we could just get the Harbor Bridge replacement project on the fast track, we'll be in good shape.
I have heard something about a tower near whataburger field. I think that would be awesome. But I haven't heard anything of it since a little after Whataburger Field was built.

The cut, I think will never get better. Just due to the fact of it being so close to the refineries. The only way I can honestly see the cut getting better is if the new bridge is built and it is turned into an industrial park like some proposals state. I think that would be the best thing for that area.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,013,734 times
Well every city has its poor or should i say down and out side of town. El Paso has the South Side. You all have the CUT.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,509,986 times
El Paso has poverty all down the valley almost to city limits. Corpus has poverty in many neighborhoods - including the other side of the freeway from the Cut. The Cut is just different. The other neighborhoods are still in the decaying mold, businesses leaving- lots of young gangs. The Cut has very few businesses and its waiting for someone to take on the slumlords.

If my finances recover from recent events - I may do that.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,013,734 times
WOW, Ocean your so positive about everything.. how do you contain all that enthusiasm? Don't you ever get tired of beating down every thing? Holy Hannah man.. seek some professional metal health, for your sake. Please.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,780,133 times
If you want to drive to the cut, just keep going North on Staples, past Leopard and over I-37. It's like you've entered another universe.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:23 PM

808 posts, read 3,271,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I'll check the next time there. Hey Awecelot you want to go in with me and buy the church building on 1212 Sam Rankin? They are asking way way too much $215k but we could get it much cheaper (trust me). It could be made into offices with an upstairs residence. Of course this isnt the time to buy real estate - but down the road I will give it another look.
If I were more than a college student right now, I would be interested in doing that. The Cut has some problems, but the location is great. Near Whataburger Field, right next to Concrete Street Amphitheater...the area is prime for becoming an entertainment district, which Corpus desperately needs.

The issue, as Gabe pointed out, is the Cut's proximity to the refineries. Here's a scary story about the Hillcrest neighborhood, just to the west of the Cut:
Study shows high levels of benzene : Corpus Christi Local | Caller-Times |

The environmental issues do need to be studied before moving ahead with any plans.

bball - I'd like to see any info you have on those proposed developments around the ballpark.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,658 times
well i have been there before,only twice actually. I'm only 14 I'm a girl.Yes, most of the time in the day it's very peaceful and quiet...but at night time it's completely different. Very drastic too.Theres nothing but black males walking around and they all look the same,and they come up to your car door and ask what you want. Usually theres murders and nobody really knows what happens to the person who have been murdered.Usaully theres alot of crack houses filled with gangs.Trust me i went there with my friend driving around just for fun...Trust me I felt like i was in hell. I felt like somebody was on my back just watching me.It's not a good feeling at all to tell you the truth.It's ugly.Uhmm, and what Ive heard by my mom and dad that there really violent there with anybody just by driving around.Also, my dad's mom's house (where he used to live before when he was married)his next door neighbor got beat up and almost died from very bad damage when they beat him up.I think "in my opinion" that the "cut" neighborhood should just get knocked down by the city. I mean that piece of land isn't even that big. It's worthless....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi