Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM

808 posts, read 3,647,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
If I were more than a college student right now, I would be interested in doing that. The Cut has some problems, but the location is great. Near Whataburger Field, right next to Concrete Street Amphitheater...the area is prime for becoming an entertainment district, which Corpus desperately needs.

The issue, as Gabe pointed out, is the Cut's proximity to the refineries. Here's a scary story about the Hillcrest neighborhood, just to the west of the Cut:
Study shows high levels of benzene : Corpus Christi Local | Caller-Times |

The environmental issues do need to be studied before moving ahead with any plans.

bball - I'd like to see any info you have on those proposed developments around the ballpark.
I just realized that I typed in "bball" instead of "bb." I must have been connecting your username with "ballpark" when I typed it...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM

244 posts, read 804,062 times
Here's one of them.

http://www.thecottonyardcc.com/index.html

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Wow, its been a while since I have been in that area of town. Has construction already started as planned? This is very interesting. I remember hearing something like this happening, but it was only a proposal at the time. It looks like I am going to have to take a drive down there tomorrow or wednesday.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,825 times
Looks like that will be a nice project...will be interesting to see how that revitalizes that area down there (which has a LOT of potential).

The location for those lofts reminds me of the houses behind Wrigley Field's outfield.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 PM

If this downtown revitalization thing and this Cotton Yard thing are successful, we can see Corpus explode in tourism and it will no longer be a hidden secret from the rest of the world. Once it explodes with tourism, the city will feed off that and explode in growth. Very interesting.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escantrell View Post
I'm pretty new to CC and anytime I mention the lack of "ethnic diversity," I'm told to look in the Cut. Where is it located? Keep in mind, I live on The Island and usually don't go any farther than downtown.....so not familiar w/ where it's located.
its located close to concrete street and whataburger field. im 22 and i grew up, for most of my life, in portland across the bay, but growin up i was always told to stay as far away from the cut as possible. i mean after concerts you see at least one of the cuts colorful residence beggin for money. but i mean i havent been down that way in a long long time so idk how its changed. but if it has thats a good thing but there is still some really bad hoods in cc run by some serious gangs. i grew up and went to school and have met and been friends with and hung out with some people who know all about it and arent the top of the society latter according to what society deems not taboo. but its really a matter of knowing where these places are so you dont find yourself in a bad situation. roger?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 PM

44 posts, read 109,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Maybe Corpus should get its own thread - as there is certainly some interest.

There's a neighborhood in Corpus no one talks about. Its right next to downtown, but many in Corpus won' t even go there.

In the past its been notorious for crime - and drug dealing is pretty much out in the open- drive by and people yell at you asking what you might want. It was filled with substandard housing.

There is another side to this neighborhood. If we get a new bridge the likely path will be just west of this area. The highway separating The Cut and downtown will be removed. The Cut has been so bad that many of the dilapidated shacks are falling down. Two slumlords Block Realty and one other lady own a large portion of the neighborhood. They have had many complaints but the city does nothing.

What is happening though is some of these shacks are being cleared. Some people have fled to other neighborhoods when they can afford to. It is starting - just starting to become a quiet area with lots of green spaces. It has a great location -geographically. Its also one of the quietest areas in CC - during the day. No traffic either.

I bought a parcel of land there and was considering buying some more in time. It will take a long time for improvement though. I was going there 4-5 times a week just looking. I did make the mistake of taking a date through there one evening and she freaked out - oh well.

On my last trip I must have gone through a stop sign without a full stop. That gave the police the excuse to use two squad cars to interrogate me, after all why would a white person in a nice car be there if he wasn't looking for drugs? I was pretty good natured and the police could see I was amused at their actions. I actually started telling them my theory about what Could - not will- happen to this area over time. They weren't impressed and told me "you don't belong here"

Anyone else - know this area?
I was just wondering if you told the police that you had property there and thus a right to belong there? :-)

Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,238 times
Aghhh The great Cutz .
One of the oldest historic areas of CC.
Many well known people from CC are from the area. Because of the growth and development of CC southside the NorthSide has gone down. The area is North Port on other side of I37, opposite side of CityHall building. The residents of the Cut, North Side, and HillCrest will let you know your not from there. I've experienced it before. But, like all,..if your looking for trouble you will find it. Lately,.. I've been hearing the area is changing. More hispanics are residing,..and many buildings are being demolished. Betterto visit during day if your looking to buy land,..reality,.etc. HillCrest ia one of Corpitos most dangerous areas.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 AM

Every other house in Hillcrest is a crack house. 1700 Lake, next to Blue Monday's, is a big hangout for all of the North-siders, gang bangers, and drug users. Even though it is a high drug, high gang, high crime area, Hillcrest is a lot quieter than it used to be. I love working in that area!

The new Harbor Bridge will go through the heart of Hillcrest and Northside Manor is going to be demolished after the new "Northside Manor" is constructed on 2700 Leopard, at the intersection of Leopard and Palm.

It seems as though, within the next 10 years, Hillcrest will be a memory.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,562 times
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it looking for info on The Cut. I live in Ingleside, TX and met a group of young men in Corpus who said that the churches weren't helpful for them because they were more focused on overseas missions than local. One of them said, "we need Jesus in the ghetto". I then started wondering where exactly is "the ghetto," so I drove around and found The Cut.

It appears pretty much the same as you all described it - slums, debilitated buildings, poverty. I want to help them. In fact, I got excited about possibly starting a faith-based non-profit in the area.

Thoughts appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi