Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,997,305 times

Advertisements

Well, I got the job offer, and the money I was looking for to make a move to Corpus. Although my wife and I are sure we are going to go ahead and accept the offer, I am wanting to know more about the cost of living around Corpus. I have looked through alot of MLS listings, and have kind of a good idea of what to expect, but what are the areas best to move to on a $50k/yr salary?? What are the areas to avoid? Any special kinds of insurance needed for the area (i.e. hurricane insurance, etc)? We may be looking at renting first, as we are going to have to sell our house here in Wichita Falls before buying another.

Also, what is the cost of living like as far as goods/services go? Are they cheaper than most other areas due to Corpus being more of an import area? Any special considerations needed? It will be my wife, 2 kids, and I moving to Corpus.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,953,586 times
It's good you're renting first. That will give you time to decide where you want to buy. Look carefully at the taxes and appraisals for homes you look at. Also, check the availability and prices of homeowners insurance. When I lived in Brownsville, Allstate canceled our windstorm coverage and I had a devil of a time finding affordable coverage. I can imagine that's only gotten worse since the hurricanes hit the TX Gulf Coast last year.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 23,568 times
Do a google search for City compare, I am sure something will come up that will allow you to see what your current cities cost of living is versus Corpus Christi.

I saw houses for rent from 500 a month to around 1500 a month here in the corpus area. I'm renting now, and pay about 900 a month.. but I am also on the island out here at Port Aransas, and think I got a really good deal. I wake up each morning at 4-5am, and head out and walk the beach. Okay not every morning some are kinda cold, and with the constant wind it can cut though your bones.

Yes Hurricane/flooding insurance is required for most. Since you have kids, locals here tell me Portland or Flour Bluff are the place to have your kids in school.. any other place would be a disservice to your children. Learn to love to fish. Lots of fishing going on here.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:02 PM

17 posts, read 71,986 times
I lived in Calallen for a year and loved it. Lots of growth going on there right now. Education wise, the scools were great. If old enuff, hope your kids play football. It will be easy for them to fit in.
Potland is a little more $$ and also a dry county. Flour Bluff, big military presence because of the base. Schools, from what I remember from my research were very good.
$$ will go very far in CC. I could take my family of 4, 2 boys, 15 and 17 at the time, have dinner for 40 - 60$ depending on what and where we ate. ( drinks, apps., dessert)
Hurric. ins ran me about 2000, and house taxes in Calallen, 2350sf home were about 56-5800$ a yr.
Run a search on Corpus Christi here and you will get a lot of good info.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,329,912 times
my only thoughts is wow what a change. i used to work in Wichita Falls (and live 40 minutes or so southeast of there) and also lived 30 minutes from Corpus Christi. going from redneck rancher whitey world to a primarily hispanic world is a big change. hope you enjoy it more than i did. that's what is great about Texas, there is something for everyone. hope ya like fishin!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM

304 posts, read 1,123,204 times
We moved to Corpus a year ago and did extensive research on cost of living, demographics etc. as well as visited 5 different times for a week each before we decided to relocate to Corpus. We built our home in a new development in Flour Bluff based on the schools reputation, all the new development and redevelopment in Flour Bluff and based on tax comparisons and cost of building. We have flood insurance even though it was not required and not considered a flood zone. Corpus has many great neighborhoods from older neighborhoods (Lamar Park, Country Club, Bent Tree, Buckingham Estate, Del Mar) to new developments (Cornerstone, Kings Crossings and Wood River) depending on your preferences. Downtown Corpus has a ways to go but is finally getting some attention but downtowns throughout the country have suffered when retailers line up along expressways and by-passes and urban sprawl takes a toll on downtowns as well, especially in Corpus Christi where the downtown is on the edge of town and not the center of town.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 PM

52,581 posts, read 47,727,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Well, I got the job offer, and the money I was looking for to make a move to Corpus. Although my wife and I are sure we are going to go ahead and accept the offer, I am wanting to know more about the cost of living around Corpus. I have looked through alot of MLS listings, and have kind of a good idea of what to expect, but what are the areas best to move to on a $50k/yr salary?? What are the areas to avoid? Any special kinds of insurance needed for the area (i.e. hurricane insurance, etc)? We may be looking at renting first, as we are going to have to sell our house here in Wichita Falls before buying another.

Also, what is the cost of living like as far as goods/services go? Are they cheaper than most other areas due to Corpus being more of an import area? Any special considerations needed? It will be my wife, 2 kids, and I moving to Corpus.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Ian

Wow! That's great, but that's going to be quite a switch from The Falls.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM

244 posts, read 800,477 times
You're going to love Corpus Christi. Welcome to the city...in advance.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:06 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,997,305 times
Thanks bb54321. And, thanks for all responses thus far! It is going to be quite a move, but I simply cannot turn down the offer.

Any more thoughts from you all?

Ian

Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,329,912 times
Ii pray and hope it's not just the money of the offer.
I was flown there, all expenses paid-airfare from the East Coast (where i was a displaced Texan for 3 years), hotel on the beach, wined and dined, and had big money flashed in front of my face-bonuses and high salary and relocation pay.
I couldnt resist the money, and i thought "oh what the heck, i dont know South Texas, but it's still Texas, right?"
I spent the most miserable year of my whole life there and bailed.
(I am from North Texas-smack between Wichita Falls and Ft Worth-originally).
I got the job of my dreams here in CenTex, on the northwest edge of the Hill Country, and though I am poor compared to what I was down there, I am happier than ever. Just remember, money ain't everything and does not guarantee happiness.
Best wishes and God Bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Thanks bb54321. And, thanks for all responses thus far! It is going to be quite a move, but I simply cannot turn down the offer.

Any more thoughts from you all?

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi