Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times

Advertisements

Corpus Christi:

It is the city that should have been,

And the city that never was.

Take that how you may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM

244 posts, read 804,130 times
I think of it more as...the city that will be. At least it's not the city that should have never been.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Interesting. I definitely learned something by reading the things that others don't like about CC. The weather sounds perfect to me.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:52 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammie View Post
interesting. I definitely learned something by reading the things that others don't like about cc. The weather sounds perfect to me. :d

me too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
The point about Corpus being a coastal city without a beach vibe is a good one. Because the town proper doesn't take advantage of its setting, it hasn't reached any potential as a destination. Rather, it's a mid-level suburban city with some bigger-city crime issues. It's a jumping-off point to more tourist-based beach areas, but that exemplifies the differences compared with San Diego or Miami.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Crime isnt even high in CC. You will never catch yourself in one if you are a normal law abiding citizen. I really dont know why people always say crime is so high...
City Data says it is, higher than the average in the entire country.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
City Data says it is, higher than the average in the entire country.
Fortunately you hooked 'em and got out of this H hole. Contact Fortune and tell them to remove Corpus from one of the top places in the USA to live. They clearly need to hear from "them that knows better". Experience from the residents who failed to make it in Corpus are worth gold to the big time media. I'm sure of that. Dallas, Houston, Austin, Fort Worth, San Antonio must all be much better places to live and avoid the terrible (gasp) crime on the coast. I'm all for a zero crime community and will move there just as soon as one is invented. We should ALL make that commitment ........ only live in a zero crime area.

Works for me.

K

Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Fortunately you hooked 'em and got out of this H hole. Contact Fortune and tell them to remove Corpus from one of the top places in the USA to live. They clearly need to hear from "them that knows better". Experience from the residents who failed to make it in Corpus are worth gold to the big time media. I'm sure of that. Dallas, Houston, Austin, Fort Worth, San Antonio must all be much better places to live and avoid the terrible (gasp) crime on the coast. I'm all for a zero crime community and will move there just as soon as one is invented. We should ALL make that commitment ........ only live in a zero crime area.

Works for me.

K
I've never lived there. They that know better are not people like I am. You believe Fortune, I believe City Data. Some of the places that are described as the best places to live, I certainly have my doubts. But, I'm sure CC is great for many. I don't live in H, A, FW, or SA either. I'm not for big city living. Of course, there's crime everywhere because people are everywhere. I only commented to the poster, not you, about CD mentioning crime in CC is not low according to the stats on the internet, but of course, we should just figure it out for ourselves rather than read any stats that are posted.

Thank you for your mighty fine response.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
Yes, that is my "comfort zone". I like the cowboy culture, western heritage lifestyle.
Yeah, that word "kickers" was another term I heard down there, describing those who are "cowboy'd up". (And it was annoying, because where I am now, I am not labeled because I don't stand out in a crowd-there are plenty of cowboy/cowgirl/ranchers/cattlemen type here.
Maybe it was all in my head? Nope.
The people I was "hanging" out with? Hmm...fellow colleagues who practice Emergency Medicine. I had no issues with my colleagues. It was the general public-many had extreme mistrust and disdain for non-locals, Anglos, non-Spanish speaking people. I was discriminated against. I cannot even begin to tell you how many women gave me the evil eye when they would see me-very hateful-I wish I could have told them that I had NO desire to steal their 5'2" husbands and that I couldn't help it if their husbands were staring at me. (I did stand out with my height and long blonde hair/blue eyes). It was a miserable experience. And if I had to hear one more "incident" about one of my colleagues getting sued...argh....just because the large indigent population there were looking for ANY reason to sue so they could make some money. There is a REASON why malpractice rates are triple south of the Nueces River. I am not making it up. There is a reason why 90 percent of my colleagues were travelers, paid big bucks, like me, to put up with working there and the high risk of litigation. never again. never. I would rather live in NYC, and let me tell ya, for a small town country girl who dearly loves her state of Texas, that's saying ALOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
NOTAM,

I'm anglo and have a great social life. Sounds lilke your "comfort zone" must be only anglos in cowbowy hats. Yes I said it's not country and western here, but I've never seen anyone give dirty or odd looks to people in cowboy hats. It is still Texas you know. I have friends that are "kickers" and they don't seem uncomfortable at all. Everyone is excepted here. It's probably one of the most firendly places I've ever lived or visited. I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience, but no one points at me and calls me anglo. I think that might have been all in your head. But if you say so, then perhaps you were haning around the wrong crowd.

CC not like San Diego at all? How about the geographic set up around the bay, the military presence, the hispanic culture, the large marina and endless outdoor recreational opportunities, the beaches, the laid back atmosphere coupled with the cosmopolitain feel. What more do you need for two places to resemble each other? I'm not saying it's exactly like San Diego, but you have to admit it really isn't that far off. Miami, I can see some similarities, but not quite the same. South Beach is very fake and pretentious and I wouldn't describe CC that way at.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM

NotAM...Many women are very insecure and when their husbands look at other women, they can't stand it. I've seen photos of you and you are very attractive. I'm sure they felt threatened. If they only knew you didn't want their husbands even if they were rich and single. Hee Ha!! I can certainly understand what you're saying. In my day, I had the same problem, but it was usually with white guys and wives because I never lived in the type of place you did in south Texas. Actually, I used to think it was quite funny how they'd squirm and I didn't do a thing to deserve it. Insecurity ruled those ladies and obviously, the relationship they were in wasn't what a relationship should be. Anyway, I'm glad you're out of there and in central Texas where things are much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi