Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 09:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Hey everyone, I had a rather odd question about C.C. Did Corpus ever have a large "Mob" presence, Cosa Nostra Mob???
I don't think so (as far as large "Mob" presence in Corpus) -- but certainly some players involved in "Mob" activity.

You might be interested in the Murder of George Randolph (Randy) Farenthold. It took 4 years for a Texas Ranger & the FBI, Sheriff's Dept & Organized Crime division in Corpus Chrisiti to solve the case. It had all the hallmarks of a "Mob" hit from the very beginning. Randy was a member of a Very wealthy & Very Prominent Corpus Christi Family.

Farenthold case recalled |Port Aransas South Jetty 2011

Farenthold was 32 years old when his body was discovered on June 6, 1972, by a fisherman in the surf on Mustang Island, two miles south of the south jetty. A block of concrete was chained around his neck, and his hands were bound behind him.

The slaying occurred two days before the body was found. The Nueces County Medical Examiner’s Office reported that he was struck hard in the head, twice, before he was dumped in the Gulf of Mexico.

Farenthold was killed as he was scheduled to testify in a federal fraud case against a man named Bruce Lusk Bass III, a former construction contractor from Banquete.

The investigation into Farenthold’s death lasted for more than four years. The Nueces County Sheriff ’s Department worked the case, assisted by the Texas Rangers and the FBI.

I remember the case of course and read a lengthly article about it a few years ago - that article is no longer posted, but I found most of it in a Genealogy Paper about the Farentholds.

GEORGE RANDOLPH FARENTHOLD: The Randy Farenthold Murder

This entire case was Mob related and the Ranger investigation went all the way to Las Vegas. The Texas Ranger involved in this case was Jim Peters - he never forgot the murder and continued to pull strings for information. 4 years to solve it, and they still didn't get everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 03:49 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,256 times
[quote=Kibby;37217577]I don't think so (as far as large "Mob" presence in Corpus) -- but certainly some players involved in "Mob" activity.

Mexican Mafia

DPS: More Than 100,000 Gang Members in Texas | Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com |

Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
[quote=Rust Never Sleeps;37222738]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't think so (as far as large "Mob" presence in Corpus) -- but certainly some players involved in "Mob" activity.

Mexican Mafia

DPS: More Than 100,000 Gang Members in Texas | Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com |
I thought we were talking about the past - the question was about Cosa Nostra Mob types.

As to the current "gangs" and Mexican Narco Mobs ..... they are moving into the entire country.
It's worse in the Sanctuary Cities. They are (and will continue) taking control of City/County/Judicial officials just as they did in Mexico. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY .... a lot of Bribe money.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:42 PM

47 posts, read 169,212 times
Ok, I think that answered my question! thanks

Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM

[quote=Kibby;37233300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post

I thought we were talking about the past - the question was about Cosa Nostra Mob types.

As to the current "gangs" and Mexican Narco Mobs ..... they are moving into the entire country.
It's worse in the Sanctuary Cities. They are (and will continue) taking control of City/County/Judicial officials just as they did in Mexico. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY .... a lot of Bribe money.

You are correct on all points.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 AM

17 posts, read 49,652 times
I normally do not post on message boards so forgive me if I do something incorrectly . I would like to respond to this thread about Corpus in yesteryear because I remember everything that the posts concern and it is uncanny that the other day I was discussing with friends about the old days and Tri Drive came up. Tri Drive was owned by a man named Paul Fluche and bartender was Pee Wee Gallager. It sat on a triangle of land bordered by Staples, Louisiana parkway and Swantner, ( Baldwyn ). It had a general store and bar in front with cook shack in the back. It had covered parking on two sides and car hops. Miss Mary ran the cook shack and her food was to die for as they say. Only time I ever saw a Hot dog cut lengthwise and served on a hamburger bun. My father was a regular there and would always stand around the ice cream box drinking 25 cent Lone Star beer with his buddies. When he wanted to go fishing at 4 in the morning, we could go by Tri Drive and many of the customers including Dad, knew where the key to the cooler was kept. He could get bags of ice and a case of beer for the trip and come back and pay later in the day when he came back from the beach. Those days are long gone. Later after the land was sold and Tri Drive torn down to make way for a Whataburger, Dad moved his drinking down Staples street to the Texan drive in grocery. Angelo's pizza was right next door. They made the best chili cheesed burgers in the world. Later when my classmate at Ray High, and heiress to the Hamlin Pharmacy dared me to try the chili cheese burger there, I did and felt it compared quite well but Angelo's was still the best. To be honest, I live in the hill country of Texas now and would never consider moving back to Corpus but I do remember almost all of the places mentioned in these posts from Floyds to the Chat and Chew, to Shep's chicken shack and the Hasty Tasty. From Prices chef to the Gallagers steak house as well as Nolan's steak house and the buccaneer bowl. I believe that Padre Staple mall was built in the early 70s because we went to the theater there in 73 to see Jaws. B efore that it was the Ayers theater most of the time or the Center and Ritz downtown. Anyone else remember Walter Furley and Gene Luper on channel 10 (CBS)? Anyway, thanks for letting me post.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,181 times
Just found this site. Reading all the quotes brings back memories of CC and Flour Bluff. Went to school with Leroy Frazier, and Dawson Wilkins. Was away in military when heard of Leroy's car accident. Have not seen Dawson Wilkins since 1964. Dawson's sister married an Armstrong.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache64 View Post
Just found this site. Reading all the quotes brings back memories of CC and Flour Bluff. Went to school with Leroy Frazier, and Dawson Wilkins. Was away in military when heard of Leroy's car accident. Have not seen Dawson Wilkins since 1964. Dawson's sister married an Armstrong.
Leroy was the most talented fellow I ever met in CC. They stopped by to pick me up the night they went to Laredo, I didn't go. Saw the carload of them in Memorial Hospital after that accident near Freer. Leroy never regained consciousness and died a few months later. Dawson was my best friend, saw him in Baton Rouge, LA in the late 80's, he was flush and owned an upscale pool hall.

I mentioned "Mary Jackson" in another thread, she was Dawson's girlfriend at one time. She too came to an unhappy end.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,470 times
Does anyone recall name of drugstore on Chaparral in the 60s? I believe it was across the street from the Smart Shop. It was on the same street as the Cardinal's Shoes.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukowsky View Post
Does anyone recall name of drugstore on Chaparral in the 60s? I believe it was across the street from the Smart Shop. It was on the same street as the Cardinal's Shoes.
Modern Drugs-Sun Pharmacy, 424 Chaparral St.

It was the location of SONJA'S RESTAURANT & BAKERY - See photo:
424 N. CHAPARRAL, Corpus Christi, TX, 78401 - Restaurant Property for Sale on LoopNet.com

The Smart Shop was located at 413 N. Chaparral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi