Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 04:13 PM

35 posts, read 144,018 times

Advertisements

ohmanon, Don't think any "boogey business" went on, since the one I amd thinking about was nothing more tha a hamburger stand, but, then again, maybe I was too naive to think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:13 PM

47 posts, read 167,839 times
Does Anybody know much about the "Corpus Christi Osteopathic Hospital" on Tarlton st? My father was born there and Recently the building was demolished. When did it close and why?

Osteopathic Hospital Demolition Weeks Away | Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com |

Where there any other hospitals that used to be around here?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 AM

54 posts, read 130,671 times
Default Pharmadoc

Do you have any information on the "Golden Dome" Drive-In on SPID (Then, Lexington Ave)? Interested primarily in the activity that went on after the place closed. Thanks, Spicemeister

Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Corpus Christi Osteopathic Hospital closed in about 1990, after being purchased by Mr Scott and Columbia, and was temporarily housed at what used to be P&S Hospital at Weber. That building now houses a multitude of business located at about 4600 Weber a few blocks dow the street from Snapka's. The rolling hilly parking lot in back of the building is because in the 40's and early 50's this was the site of the city dump.
After that the hospital services went Bay Area Medical Center on SPID in about 1992.

Sorry a bit young to know what went on after dark hours. at Golden Dome

Old 02-18-2014, 03:53 PM

17,310 posts, read 9,128,742 times
Quote:
What was the first Condominium built on the Island?
If you mean Mustang Island - it was the Gulf Shores, built in 1978. It was the 1st of the water side Condos on the road out to Port Aransas. It's still in operation and is the closest Condo to the water. This was before they built anything on North Padre.

Quote:
I am also wondering if there was any place that fit the description of a "Saturday night fever/1970s/disco" club in corpus at any time period.
Yes - the term "disco" really translates to the French word Discothèque ..... a dance club that has music played by a DJ that is usually open late, sometimes all night. In the late 1960's, there were two that I know of.

1. The Haunted House - complete with disco ball, black lights and light show. I think it was on S. Ayers between Lexington Blvd & Saratoga. Saratoga at that time was nothing but farm land and a concrete bumpy road.
2. A clubroom at the Downtower Hotel (really a Motel) on Shoreline Blvd - I'm remembering Disco Ball and black lights. The Motel still in operation with many name changes over the years. I think that it is now a Super 8, but haven't been by there in a while. The Club room probably only lasted a few years.

The Haunted House was popular with the college crowd, navy guys and locals. You had to be 18 to get in, 21 (supposedly) to drink. The Downtowner attracted some of the same crowd, but tended to be a bit more sedate with a bit older clientele. The Motown sound was big in both clubs, neither was as wild as the later 70's Disco style.

There was a distinct learning curve on how to dress with strong black lights all over the room. Certain types of clothing became very transparent.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemeister View Post
Do you have any information on the "Golden Dome" Drive-In on SPID (Then, Lexington Ave)? Interested primarily in the activity that went on after the place closed. Thanks, Spicemeister
On S.P.I.D where? If I had a physical address, I could probably give you some information. I am not too sure I know what kind of activity you are talking about?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM

spicemeister,
According to article with the link,Golden Dome was located at:
Lexington and Moravian Streets.
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times › 29 April 1965 › Page 2 - Newspapers.com

Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM

553 posts, read 1,047,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Does anybody remember when "Al Capone's" Yacht was berthed at the T-Head? This was around the late 70's early 80's. Anybody know what happened to it?

I was able to find these recollections on the Internet, but can't vouch for their accuracy:

"Jimmy Storm and Celika Storm of Marine Drilling in Corpus Christi bought the yacht and I worked as a deckhand on the "Celika S", name of the yacht. We had the diesel's rebuilt, recaulked and sanded the teak deaks, the whole yacht was refurbished with new paint, new everything. Had original paintings throughout the boat, even one painting by a monkey. The Captain that I worked under was Billy Pugh, a retired Naval destroyer commander, who would take the yacht out and could pivot it from the middle, which was necessary to exit the CC marina. Old man Storm hired an ex-Nazi chef from a restuarant on HYW 35 in Palacious. Bought out the chef's restaurant and had him come cook for the Parties. There was all new galley with stainless everything and walk- coolers. There was a dumb waiter that went up thru the deck into the dining room. I was fifteen-sixteen years old at the time and remember it like it was yesterday. The most colorful character was an old seaman nicknamed Tooter Brown who would bring back "dancers" from the ***** Cat club about two blocks away. He made a big impression on me, wish I knew what happened to him. The old man made his money by drilling and building offshore drilling rigs. He was financed by his wife's Dad who happened to be the President of Venezuela. She was quite a bwitch too. He would drive his blueprinted shelby mustang down to the T-heads to visit. If anyone knows where the old Yacht is, drop me a line at rednksurfer@yahoo.com."

And this:
"In 2003 I went aboard an old yacht in Oakland, CA to do some engine repair work. The owner told me it had been owned by Al Capone, showed me around, including the hideaway bar, etc. When we went up to the bridge I had a good look around. It looks just like your picture above.
The yacht I was on was said to be 138 feet long. Th owner said it was in real bad shape when he bought it, but he'd done a lot of work to it and the after section and main deck areas were in pretty good shape. At the time he made occasional runs between Oakland and Sacramento.
I don't know if it is still there."

The picture can be seen here:
Al Capone's Yacht the Duchess lll | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (broken link)

UPDATE: Jimmy Storm's old classic yacht, "Celika S"

http://web.caller.com/autoconv/newslocal99/newslocal331.

And Gangster Al Capone's rum-running yacht is now ferrying tourists in Panama

http://acania.net/history.html

Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 PM

553 posts, read 1,047,945 times
>He was financed by his wife's Dad who happened to be the President of Venezuela.<

Regarding J. Storm's wife, Celika “Chela” Storm. If memory serves me, Mrs. Storm, was/is from Argentina, not Venezuela. I seem to remember that in a musical context from Astor Piazzolla's music. She was a follower and supporter of the Arts.

I also seem to recall that the chef "Hans" may have worked at the old "Town Club" and/or the Corpus Christi Yacht Club on Coopers Alley.

Disclaimer: Old memories are subject to selective attention and subjective periodic revision.

Rust

Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the interesting info Rust!

What can anybody, especially Parmadoc!, tell me about this place?

Peking Restaurant - 601 S. Shoreline Dr. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That place seems to be the "Peking Restaurant" at 601 South Shoreline Dr.
When was it built?
Who owned it?
What food did they serve there?
When did they shut down?
Was the building anything but this restaurant?

Thanks!
P.S I am happy this Fourm is still active!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi