Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 07:06 AM

17 posts, read 49,630 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember a place on the island, somewhere around where Padre Isles country club is, that was a two story Dairy Queen like affair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 13,723 times
Default South Bluff Park

The park is bordered by Park Avenue and S. Tancahua Streets. It is probably not the mecca it was before 1970. It changed then. Anyone have any recollections of their own? For those not sure where I’m talking about, here is a link to the location of the park.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

The park was enormous, as I recall. Of course, it’s the same size now that it was then, which was 1943, but to a kid, size can play tricks on the mind, especially the memory.

Magnificent oaks created shade everywhere and the hills (viewed from kids’ eyes) seemed endless as we ran up and down, climbed in and out of those great oaks, and stopped playing only long enough to eat and drink and repeat the play cycle until darkness forced an end to it all. It was truly a special place.

There was entertainment for all ages. Kid ran and played, parents set the tables with food, lovers walked among the trees, old men played croquet on the magnificently maintained fields, and the energetic played tennis on the numerous courts. For the art lovers, there was even a museum for display of various artworks, many of them from extremely talented local artists. Something for everyone.

As a kid, there were always other kids in the park. Some were older, some younger, but interaction with these strangers was educational. There was even a legend, maybe more of a mystery, passed down from the older kids to eager-to-learn youngsters like me, the mystery of “Dead Man’s Creek”. Legend held that a man had died or was murdered, and was found floating in the creek that flowed in the very backside of the park. That was just what any kid loved, a scary place with mystery. Of course, it required a visit by any curious kid, and it always lived up to its spooky nature.

For me, as a youngster, visits to the park were never frequent enough. During the war, gas was rationed, so were tires, so the less driving done by my family, who knew exactly to the penny how much they could spend beyond my dad’s modest paycheck each month, so entertainment that was free was the only kind we had. Gradually, as I reached my teens, my trips to the park came less often, with baseball practice, scouts, and a paper route, so my intimate knowledge of the park becomes more sketchy.

The next time the park comes to memory is August 3, 1970. Hurricane Celia struck the city hard. Driving past the park days after the storm, I was saddened to see those great oaks twisted and gnarled around each other with broken branches from those giant limbs lying on the ground. Not long afterward, the chain saws came and completely emasculated the park. It was suddenly no longer the shady retreat where lovers walked, or kids played and people gathered to enjoy a cool hideaway from the summer’s heat. After that, I tried to avoid driving past.

Cubdriver

Old 06-21-2015, 12:02 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
The park is bordered by Park Avenue and S. Tancahua Streets. It is probably not the mecca it was before 1970. It changed then. Anyone have any recollections of their own? For those not sure where I’m talking about, here is a link to the location of the park.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

The park was enormous, as I recall. Of course, it’s the same size now that it was then, which was 1943, but to a kid, size can play tricks on the mind, especially the memory.

Magnificent oaks created shade everywhere and the hills (viewed from kids’ eyes) seemed endless as we ran up and down, climbed in and out of those great oaks, and stopped playing only long enough to eat and drink and repeat the play cycle until darkness forced an end to it all. It was truly a special place.

There was entertainment for all ages. Kid ran and played, parents set the tables with food, lovers walked among the trees, old men played croquet on the magnificently maintained fields, and the energetic played tennis on the numerous courts. For the art lovers, there was even a museum for display of various artworks, many of them from extremely talented local artists. Something for everyone.

As a kid, there were always other kids in the park. Some were older, some younger, but interaction with these strangers was educational. There was even a legend, maybe more of a mystery, passed down from the older kids to eager-to-learn youngsters like me, the mystery of “Dead Man’s Creek”. Legend held that a man had died or was murdered, and was found floating in the creek that flowed in the very backside of the park. That was just what any kid loved, a scary place with mystery. Of course, it required a visit by any curious kid, and it always lived up to its spooky nature.

For me, as a youngster, visits to the park were never frequent enough. During the war, gas was rationed, so were tires, so the less driving done by my family, who knew exactly to the penny how much they could spend beyond my dad’s modest paycheck each month, so entertainment that was free was the only kind we had. Gradually, as I reached my teens, my trips to the park came less often, with baseball practice, scouts, and a paper route, so my intimate knowledge of the park becomes more sketchy.

The next time the park comes to memory is August 3, 1970. Hurricane Celia struck the city hard. Driving past the park days after the storm, I was saddened to see those great oaks twisted and gnarled around each other with broken branches from those giant limbs lying on the ground. Not long afterward, the chain saws came and completely emasculated the park. It was suddenly no longer the shady retreat where lovers walked, or kids played and people gathered to enjoy a cool hideaway from the summer’s heat. After that, I tried to avoid driving past.

Cubdriver
Good to see you posting.

Rust

Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,723 times
Default Thread

Sorry about the above link. At least the street intersection is correct. Maybe you can find it that way. Need to practice posting links, I guess.

Cubdriver

Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Here's an old post card of the Lahala Houe interior: Lahala House | Critiki

What's important and not shown were the many aquariums set in the interstitial wall space.

To answer your question, I don't know. I left CC in 1963 and didn't return for 17 years. I recall my dad saying a hurricane took the Lahala House out. He and Mr. Porter were good friends in the Pacific during the war and both opened restaurants in Corpus. Mr. Porter, according to my dad, didn't miss a beat after the loss of the Lahala, he built the "The Torch" on South Alameda. It opened with great fanfare and ceremony, then Mr. Porter died. I recall he had a daughter, Cathy.

Dredging old memories since writing that "North Beach" post I recall many things while focusing intently on those times. The first "Feudo's Market #1" was on North Beach, Hamlet Del Mar, Bill's Used Books and Bill The Beachcomber's Tattoo Shop. Recall the Knight's Hotel was once the Coronado where Mrs. Lawson worked weekends and let us swim.

Another irony, after Nam I was in the hospital for several months. Approx. a month before I was discharged they, Army hospital staff, suggested we not wear our uniforms home. Recall, those were troubled times. I mentioned that to my dad and he agreed. A few days later I phoned them in Corpus and explained I was not coming back. It was not until 1979 and Hurricane Allen that I went back to CC. What happened during those years I was gone is a mystery to me. Yes, my parents came to see me in Washington D.C., My old mother asked about my uniform. I told them I threw everything military related I had in an ally dumpster the day I was released from the hospital. Interestingly, when I mentioned driving by North Beach, on my return from Port Aransas post Easter, I took the new route by way of West Causeway Blvd. which morphs into the Joe Fulton International Trade Corridor. I had not been on North Navigation since before the old lift bridge was removed. It was quite impressive, near it's end that big curve begins, I was giving it close attention - when all of a sudden all those flags appeared, The Coastal Bend State Veterans Cemetery! That's where my old North Beach - Conway Conservatory friend stays.

I only mention this because, anyone who spent much time on North Beach in the late 50' and early 60's
will remember, those folks were different than across 'The Ditch", they looked at you with unflinching eyes,
no posturing. I found his old mother in a CC nursing home with brain cancer. She had cataracts in both eyes and that same limp, unfocused gaze we called the thousand-yard stare. She was consumed with those rumors of soldiers killing women and children, former lieutenant William Calley and the My Lai Massacre. Never have I had my face searched with such a fixed and attentive non-verbal questioning as she did. I explained that's why I didn't come back until 1980. It was the truth and it seemed to give her some ease. I took her chopped BBQ sandwiches and sweet iced tea for a month or so, then she died.

Btw, The Lahala House is an incorrect spelling although that was it's name. It's "Lauhala" the lauhala bush makes the leaf used in making mats, houses, hats - you name it. Ask your mother if she remembers the old Lahala House salad and dressing. I have the recipe In fact if you go here:

https://www.worldcat.org/ You might find it in a local library.

Search the database for: Recipes from the Surf & Sirloin and some of Texas' finest restaurants : a gourmet's delight
Author: Anna Bell Williams
Published-1964

Their are other excellent old CC recipes.

It was not my intention to write this long winded post, in fact I'll be surprised if I "Submit Reply." Then again, Monday, May 25th. is Memorial Observance Day and CC will be packed.

Kurt Vonnegut, a World War II veteran, wrote in 1973:

Armistice Day has become Veterans’ Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans’ Day is not. So I will throw Veterans’ Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don’t want to throw away any sacred things.

I suspect with all the backyard BBQ's, VFW -Shriner, etc. parades, posturing ceremonies, fireworks display, sporting events, loud restaurants, Hip Hop, you name it concerts and shredding on stage it's difficult to hear yourself think, maybe that's the point.
Great pic and great link. Thanks, Rust!

I was there 2 weeks and heading back the weekend after July 4th, now I've got new places to explore.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 AM

25 posts, read 84,777 times
I have it on pretty good authority that this is the real thing.

Ship Ahoy Thousand Island Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Heinz chili sauce
2 Tbs. sweet pickle relish

Mix until well combined

Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 AM

25 posts, read 84,777 times
My Mother used to make this a lot when I was a kid. It was good on everything!

Madras Dressing

The Lahala House-Corpus Christi

For use with any vegetable salad, sea food salad and shrimp

Mix the following ingredients thoroughly:

1 pint fine mayonnaise
1 large onion, grated and strained
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons prepared mustard, for color and taste
Curry powder, salt, white pepper to taste

Old 06-29-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post
I have it on pretty good authority that this is the real thing.

Ship Ahoy Thousand Island Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Heinz chili sauce
2 Tbs. sweet pickle relish

Mix until well combined
Allow me to introduce you to the creating authority: Mr. Jesse Joe Bibbs.

Mr. Bibbs explained the whole story, it's a long one. He showed me the "hows" when he was the maitre d' at the Hershey Hotel. I have written about this elsewhere on this forum.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/L420/My%20Documents/Downloads/Jesse-Joe-Bibbs4872315272-wall%20(2).pdf

In fact, as I've mentioned, that sign on the original Ship Ahoy "The Best Shrimp in the World" was the the genesis of my critical thinking, about age 10.

Ship Ahoy The best shrimp in the world. and 25 similar items

Rust

Old 06-29-2015, 08:03 AM

[quote=Rust Never Sleeps;40210040][b]Allow me to introduce you to the creating authority: Mr. Jesse Joe Bibbs.

Mr. Bibbs explained the whole story, it's a long one. He showed me the "hows" when he was the maitre d' at the Hershey Hotel. I have written about this elsewhere on this forum.

I see it didn't link. Go here and download the brief PDF:

F]Jesse Joe Bibbs - Seaside Memorial Park & Funeral Home
http://www.seasidefuneral.com/obitua...15272/.../Wall
May 30, 2014 - Jesse Joe Bibbs. January 9, 1927 - May 26, 2014. Jesse Joe Bibbs,

Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 AM

[quote=Rust Never Sleeps;40210375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
[b]Allow me to introduce you to the creating authority: Mr. Jesse Joe Bibbs.

I see it didn't link. Go here and download the brief PDF:

F]Jesse Joe Bibbs - Seaside Memorial Park & Funeral Home
http://www.seasidefuneral.com/obitua...15272/.../Wall
May 30, 2014 - Jesse Joe Bibbs. January 9, 1927 - May 26, 2014. Jesse Joe Bibbs,
I see that didn't compute either. I copied my copy:

Jesse Joe Bibbs
January 9, 1927 - May 26, 2014
Jesse Joe Bibbs, Sr., 87 years old, a husband, a great son-in-law, father, grandfather,
great grandfather, great-great grandfather, brother, uncle, and friend, left to be with his
Savior Jesus Christ, on Monday, May 26, 2014, surrounded by his loving family, after a
courageous battle with cancer.
Jesse Joe Bibbs, Sr. the eighth child of 15, was born on January 9, 1927 to the late
Stewart Bibbs, Sr. and Gertrude Darden Bibbs Reed in Guadalupe, County. He is the
oldest of his twin brother, the late James Bibbs.
He grew up in a large loving family environment and was taught at an early age the
Christian values. He attended Ball High School in Seguin, Texas. He moved to Corpus
Christi, Texas and joined St. Matthew Missionary Baptist Church under the late Rev.
Claude W. Black, where he was a member of the youth choir.
In November 1945, he joined The United States Army and was later discharged in
February, 1947. He later met and united in holy matrimony to Valla Mae Herron on April 4,
1947. To this union three beautiful children were born; Jesse Joe Jr.; Carl Anthony; and
his baby girl Jerrilyn.
He was well known for his Culinary Arts skills where he began his career at Ship Ahoy,
Sandy Shores and the Million Dollar Inn prior to becoming the Ma’tri D at the former
Hershey Hotel of Corpus Christi, TX. He later was employed by Speedy’s and Alamento
Catering until his health failed.
Joe was a “Perfectionist Chef” and he really enjoyed cooking for his family, church family,
friends, and the community. When Joe wasn’t swinging pots in a kitchen, he was swinging
his #1 hobby a “Golf Club”!

Jesse Joe is preceded in death by his parents, Stewart Bibbs, Sr. and Gertrude Darden
Bibbs Reed; Four (4) brothers, Herman, Leon, Daye C., James Bibbs. Three (3) sisters;
Marjorie Hardeman, Earlene Irving & Murleen Moore.
He leaves to cherish his memory, his devoted wife of 67 years, whom he provided for and
took good care of, Mrs. Valla Mae Bibbs his loving 104 year old mother-in-law Mrs. Valrie
Hill Murray of Corpus Christi, TX. His legacy will continue through his sons Jesse Joe
Bibbs, Jr (Janice) of San Antonio, TX; Carl Anthony Bibbs (Sharon) of Greensboro, NC
and his daughter Jerrilyn Bibbs Moore of Corpus Christi, Texas. Seven (7) grandchildren
Tammi, Tanya (Tony), Jesse Joe III (Andrea), Jeremy, Shanta (Mohamed), Anthony, and
JaLisa. Ten (10) Great Grandchildren, and Five (5) Great-Great grandchildren; Two (2)
brothers Shelton Bibbs of San Antonio, TX; Stewart Bibbs Jr. (Mary Ann) of Washington,
DC; Five (5) sisters Mercie D. Pitts, Mary Lou Dudley (Sammy) Ernestine Howard, all of
San Antonio, TX; Christine Yellets (Tommy) of Corpus Christi, TX and Sarah Stovall of
Norfolk, VA. One (1) sister-in-law Virlee Bibbs of San Antonio, TX and a host of other
relatives and friends.
A visitation will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Friday, May 30, 2014 with a
Funeral Service to begin at 11:00 a.m. at Seaside Funeral Home Chapel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi