Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:48 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

You know, I'm not sure. Corpus has always been predominantly a working class town--oil refineries, agriculture, military. It's got a low per capita income. If you look start driving around the older parts of town and go out Agnes, or Leopard or Lipan you'll see some very rough, old neighborhoods. For a while Corpus led the state, and maybe the country, in teenage pregnancies. It's the birthplace of the GI forum, once a powerful Hispanic civil rights organization but in recent years more of a corrupt joke.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts the local leadership has been awful. Have you seen the Coliseum? I predict it will stand there, dilapidated for at least the next 10 years because no one can agree what to do with it. People have argued and argued about how to develop the bayfront with the result that nothing gets done. A friend who moved her from Wisconsin said she'd never seen a town do so little with so much. I lay that squarely on the shoulders of the City Council.

Texas Monthly is magazine about Texas (duh) and they'll have stories for example about music in Texas and they'll mention Selena, but won't say anything about the Texas Jazz Festival, which is the largest FREE jazz festival in the country. They'll write stories about Tex-Mex food and leave CC out completely. They'll talk about beaches and leave out the National Seashore. I don't know why.

I'm hoping that is changing. Texas A&M-CC has grown a lot in the last 10-15 years. We have new people on the City Council. The ABC center is bringing national acts to the area. This weekend there are more things to do in town than there is time to do them (rodeo, Buc Days stuff, boat show).

I'm glad you all are liking it so far and hope you continue to. Like someone said above, I think it's only a matter of time til CC is "discovered" by the masses. I like it here and I want other people to appreciate it, but it's ok with me if the Californians (nothing personal) don't flock here like they are to other parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 05:57 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
i agree. Texas Monthly does neglect CC alot. but the recent issue about 50 Tacos You Must Eat Before You Die, mentioned two CC taquerias.
by the way, i had dinner at CASA MAYA, a "Ranchero Steak House" last nite. OMG was it GREAT. it's in a BAD part of town, but worth it. it's right across the road from Memorial (hospital)..on Morgan i think. ORDER the shrimp cocktail-LOADED with tons of shrimp, fresh avocado chunks, the best pico de gallo. I ordered the fajitas tarascas-served with the most tender steak strips smothered in creamy cilantro sauce-DELICIOUS. also heard the fried stuffed avocado entree is to die for! this restaurant is WONDERFUL. by the way, very few anglos were eating in there, probably cuz of the neighborhood, but hey, this is as good as it gets in terms of authentic fresh well prepared ranchero style mexican food in a gorgeous atmosphere.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the restaurant tip. We'll definitely check it out.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:21 AM

let me know how ya like it!
make sure you order the shrimp cocktail.........yum! (matter of fact, piling up the shrimp, avocado, pico de gallo on the crackers........as large as that shrimp cocktail is, it was a MEAL to me.....between that and the chips and hot sauce (which is served WARM WARM WARM........VERY tasty and not TOO hot-JUST RIGHT)...........gawd is it good. i didnt finish but a quarter of my entree, the fajitas tarascas after eating the appetizer and chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thanks for the restaurant tip. We'll definitely check it out.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think you're right that it just hasn't been discovered and I've decided to keep quiet about Corpus Christi. People are flooding into the San Antonio/Austin corridor and it's only a matter of time til the whole area from Kerrville to Waco looks like one big strip mall. Then people will start looking down here.

So, shhh. Let's just keep it quiet about what we've got and maybe we can keep being ignored.
Do I ever hear that.

Sis lives south of Austin, between Austin and San Marcos. She moved to her current place in 1982. It was once a more or less isolated bedroom community....not any more. I just got home (Midland) from a visit...and it's wall-to-wall people with new developments growing like mushrooms.

Too bad. It really does detract now with all of the increased traffic, et al....

Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
its got a beach.

why are there such big, fancy homes for so cheap?

is it the hurricanes?

what is there to do in Corpus?

what's the weather like?
Born & raised in Corpus here. I lived there from 1963-1982 and would NEVER go back nor my sister who lives in san antonio. As to the OP who posted why the houses are so cheap, they are NOT cheap to the people who live and work in corpus. Good middle class jobs are hard to come by. for years, major employers were "the base", cty and city gov't, CPL (electricity),HEB, (which was headqtrd there until it moved to san antonio in the early 80s), the Port. Many of the homes that you see on Ocean Drive are inhabited by doctors, lawyers, oil people and old money. People that "make it" in CC are typically those professions. Although, healthcare looks to be a major employer now with the addition of more hospitals on the southside. There has been a huge growth in retail jobs also with Moore Plaza, real estate,

Some of the Anglo people in those times were outright racist towards the mex american population, which is now the majority. I've heard comments from others who have visited CC and consider it very "backwater" or "redneck". This was evident in the power struggles in the early 80s when the city powers were for keeping the "at large" city council at all costs. Perhaps it has changed, but i wouldn't count on it. The Anglos tend to hire who they know and they are usually other Anglos, although those may be much less qualified than a comparable Mexican American.

Corpus is a place for older people that don't need a lot of entertainment. For example, there are only 2 movie theaters in town and one of them had a shooting in it last year. Guess which one I'm going to to?
Night clubs for younger folk are not that common.

If you're older and appreciate a slow lifestyle, I'd say Corpus is probably for you. If you're younger, don't go there. You will be bored out of your mind.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 PM

i have to admit that wehotex is pretty much correct. however there aint NOTHING redneck about Corpus-i WISH it were. country music dont rule, it sure aint country in any shape or form, and there aint enough country bars or rodeo action there. the only GOOD thing about Nueces County is the Sheriff-he is a bad azz redneck guy-i think he is cool. i would work for him any day.
in terms of being a single woman, Corpus is THE WORST PLACE TO LIVE. take my word-and i am only new to this area (and not for long-im leaving) but from my coworkers who have lived here for a LONG time.
and its not a matter of it being a small city..i have found MORE to do in small town Texas.......well, at least to "my liking" which i guess is redneck

Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM

Again, I have to disagree with the above statements about CC. I moved away in 1980 and moved back in 1996 and have enjoyed it. It's definitely not the same as a bigger city in terms of entertainment for 20-somethings, but there's still plenty of stuff to do, and much more now than there was 25 years ago. I was single when I first moved back, met lots of other singles, both male and female, dated a lot and met the man I eventually married. (BTW, today is our 9th anniversary!)

As far as the houses on Ocean Drive being owned by doctors, lawyers, oil people and old money, isn't that true in most Texas communities? I wish we had more of a high-tech community, but we don't. Perhaps in time.

As I've said on here lots of times, if you're interested in water and beach related activities, you'll never be bored. If you're looking for a Dallas or Austin night life, you probably need to keep looking.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Happy Anniversary Marlow...........where are yall gonna go celebrate?
Did ya try Cafe Maya yet? (btw i heard it's owned by the same people as all the La Playa restaurants, and La Playa has the exact same menu, but i dont know for sure)

Old 05-02-2007, 09:18 PM

My husband got called to work out of town. Aaargh. Haven't been to Casa Maya yet. We talked about going all weekend but never made it out there. I'm dreaming of that shrimp cocktail....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi