Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

I compiled these for a school trustee meeting- from calling each district and using the Texas Education Agency official ratings.

The top district, albeit a small one is Port Aransas- its ranked Exemplary (top) and its tax rate is at $1.06. ( Driscoll is the only other exemplary district however its just a few kids, not even a high school)

Next comes Aransas County ISD ( Rockport) and Flour Bluff both have taxes at about $1.07 and both are close to Exemplary. Rockport is about 40 students away.

Calallen, Sinton, and Tuloso are next they are Recognized but all have higher tax rates- in the $1.30 range

Gregory Portland Corpus Christi and Mathis are acceptable Corpus tax rate
is 1.23, Mathis 1.35/

Taft, Ingleside, Robstown and Kingsville are unacceptable Ingleside is at 1.13 the other two higher.

Financially ACISD and Flour Bluff have the highest reserve balances, ACISD with $11 million is about the same per student as Flour Bluff with $15 million. Corpus has $40 million which is ok but its also a huge district.

Those are the facts. Opinion - Gregory Portland has some very good schools despite its ratings. Ingleside is also ok or at least better than the ratings make them seem. Corpus hasa few good schools for younger kids - Windsor Park comes to mind however they have no really good high schools and some really bad ones, Ray comes to mind. This is backed by the TEA data.

I except to read plenty of excuses readers may blame me and say they don't like the ratings, of course without reading the methodology that was used to determine them.

Last edited by ocean2026; 08-29-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 PM

13 posts, read 58,664 times
thanks for posting this... we're debating portland or calallen right now.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 AM

59 posts, read 156,413 times
How come you never mentioned London ISD? That school district rivals any other in the coastal bend. They are building a high school in the next few years as well. Small class sizes and exemplary rating. pre k-8th right now. The London kids go to tuloso midway or flour bluff for high school now and consistently rank high at those schools. It is like having your kid go to private school without the tuition.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
The smart-a-s answer would be that I'm not concerned with comparing our area to the United Kingdom/ Great Britain but you did raise a legitimate question.

To be fair I only included districts with their own high school. High schools are the toughest it seems to attain Exemplary Ratings on. ACISD and others would have hd Ex. ratings too had not the high school been included. In addition the larger the district. the more difficult it seems to be to get Exemplary Ratings.

After London ISD's high school is around for a while and it gets rated, I would be happy to include them.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM

12 posts, read 33,209 times
Hey thanks Ocean! What do you think of the schools on the southside of Corpus Christi? Mireles I know looks fantastic on paper. How are the others? by what your saying though; is now matter were I move to in CC for my kids, they still will end up in King or Carroll HS and your saying that that is only soso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi