Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,678 times

Advertisements

i really wish I would have found this site last December! You guys are amazing!
Heres my story. ive lived in south texas all my life (McAllen) and moved to Abilene for work. WOW was that a mistake. People who say theres nothing to do in such a big city like Corpus need to hop on over to Abilene. The main attraction is a zoo that takes about 10 minutes from exiting your vehicle to walking through the entire place.
Ive been to corpus many times, have friends and family there for their whole life and I think its an awesome place. Im actually signing a contract for a guaranteed settlement for 10 years there because i like it so much.
Theres tons to do, but I guess i like all the dumb stuff like surfing, sailing, hockey, and dirt track racing.
Speaking of dirt track racing, im surprised on how little its mentioned here.
Do most people know the track is there?
South*Texas Speedway - Corpus Christi, Texas just in case

Anyway, CC folks, youve got another one to add to the list beginning October 1st, wife will be following soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
Good to see someone else that appreciates it. Corpus Christi is a great place to be, regardless of age. It's impossible to be bored in this city. Welcome. You're going to love living here...and it's getting better every day.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
I'll venture to say most of the residents of Corpus, even the ones who have lived here there entire lives, have no idea what's all here and take everything here for granted. Corpus has lots to offer and potential to offer much more. I get tired of people complaining about the lack of development yet they do nothing about it, don't join committees, don't vote in local politics, don't get involved.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 AM

85 posts, read 233,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
I'll venture to say most of the residents of Corpus, even the ones who have lived here there entire lives, have no idea what's all here and take everything here for granted. Corpus has lots to offer and potential to offer much more. I get tired of people complaining about the lack of development yet they do nothing about it, don't join committees, don't vote in local politics, don't get involved.
Whoa, not so fast. WHAT is there to do here other than go to the new sports things they put in? How many times can you go to a beach and in this blistering heat? We have plays...been there, done that. They're 4th rate. And then you have ONE grocery chain here that sells 'select' quality meat. Sharpen your teeth.
Our city council.....egads they're from the stone ages! They don't want any growth here unless it's something they'd enjoy like sports. Look at all the different business that have tried to come into Corpus and finally threw their arms up after dealing with the council. Did you hear what the owner of the new mall said? He said that it came down to the last second and they almost backed out of bringing back that mall because they were made to feel like outsiders and unwelcome by our dear city council.
And bull to not getting involved either. I had one member cornered at an event and asked him what Corpus had to offer and why they blocked growth. He said Corpus had everything he needed.....if he went 30 minutes out of town he could hunt and his boat was at the marina and he could jump on it and go up the coast. What does THAT have to do with keeping money here in Corpus?
The Southside used to be a fairly safe place to live. Boy has that gone out the window. Remember when Stuart (Lt. Alexander) was killed in a chase? Not ONE of the cameras on any of the police cars worked. They don't have the money for it. They don't have the money for street lights either although they're happy to charge me 350.00 a month in property taxes. But gee, for only a couple of million dollars our taxes went to make Texas A&M a pretty place with new plants. How sweet for them.
I've watched too many businesses go out and no growth. Flying out of Corpus is easy as pie. The airport is small and very fast. HOWEVER check the airfares out of this place. It's insanity.
If you've ever lived in a large place and are used to quality, this place will shock the heck out of you. If you're used to not much, welcome!
Drive carefully though, the streets are full of potholes and be careful where you drive. The gangs are thriving here
I’m trying to remember all the things we were supposed to get. The carnival at the bayfront, the water park, that huge sporting goods place, and I forget what else and of course the city council stopped it all. They’re good at that.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 PM

I REPEAT, most don't get involved or vote in local politics. How did the previous city council members stay in office? How would developers be kept out if the people here wanted them to come in?
You keep crime to a minimum if you are involved in your neighborhood and insist that your neighbors obey the law by reporting anything and everything that is out of line. Corpus has a new city council and lots of new residents who are involved in the community. BoldFuture Coastal Bend has 120 active members out of a population of how many? Public hearings and city council meetings have how many residents attend their meetings?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:28 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
CoP, national chain businesses aren't going to be kept out because of a city council. They either want to be in a market or don't want to be in a market. The factor that plays into whether they want to be someone or not is demographics. Companies decide to enter a market based on that not a city council or Mayor.

Corpus is a small market with really low wages and really low incomes across the board that has really small growth for a town its size (415,000 metro).

Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Exactly!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:55 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Welcome to CC. Glad to see you are so enthusiastic about moving here. One thing you will notice though, there are a lot of negative posts about this city whether it be on this website or on the local newspapers website caller.com. Ignore it, most of it is false and it all ends up in everyone calling each other names and making fun of one another. Other than that, this is a nice, small city and I hope you enjoy it.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
Welcome. Gabe, I used to think it was just CC, but I've come to realize most forums have trolls like we do. You find the same negative comments on Austin and SA news websites. It's just the norm. It's peoples way of venting but it's annoying.

Hope you like CC as much as I do Hughes!!!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,172 times
Thumbs down Are you kidding?

Corpus has no night life, only one choice of higher education, and jobs are limited unless you want a government job working in substandard conditions. Go a little more north, San Antonio, Austin, now those are cool places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi