Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times

Advertisements

If Corpus had the business mentality of Houston or Dallas, the suaveness of San Antonio, what would the city look like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:19 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Quote:
If Corpus had the business mentality of Houston or Dallas, the suaveness of San Antonio, what would the city look like
We'd have Sea World, a thriving tourist trade, a beachfront that resembled Miami, and be something more than an insignificant dot on the airline industry map.

One can only hope.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I guess I walked into the wrong room! I much prefer Corpus to Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. OK, I'm done here and on my way to Port A for some barefoot bar hopping...

But before I go, did you say "suave" in reference to San Antonio?! Whatever amigo.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 AM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
While I do want to see CC grow and prosper. I have no hopes in it being anything like Dallas, Houston and especially San Antonio. CC has a few things it needs to fix in terms of business growth and maintenance but besides that it's a pretty great city. Once we get our act together, I see it being more like San Diego than any of the overgrown generic cities in Texas...hopefully.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 480,948 times
We already have Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Yes, I want to see CC develop, and I definitely see things about it that need fixing, but I personally would hate to see it turn into a "copy" of these other cities. CC has some unique characteristics and it's not for everyone. I would like to see growth and development that maintains the unique characteristics of CC, not wipe them out.

Those who want to turn CC into something else altogether will probably not be happy here.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Well do the people in CC like it to be stagnate

Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
I see it being more like San Diego than any of the overgrown generic cities in Texas...hopefully.
Have you ever been to San Diego?

San Diego is San Diego because it's in California, has perfect year round weather, a nearly perfect coastline/beaches.

Sorry to say but, Corpus will never even resemble San Diego, not in this life time or the next few hundred. A bit exaggerated but very truthful.

Also, calling Dallas, Houston and San Antonio generic...

Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
Yes, I have been to San Diego and there are a lot of similarities between that city and CC. Have you ever been? Not sure how one could find this so hard to believe if they've been to both cities. I never said CC will be an exact replica of San Diego. I for one don't want that. That's what's so great about it. We don't have the pretentious people and the overpriced property. Our coastline might not be as picturesque but it's pretty nice. Of course you probably don't think so because you think water is only supposed to be aqua blue and anything less it trashy and dirty...right? Corpus Christi has a beautiful coastline and there are about 300+ days of sunshine a year. Yeah, it's not 72 degrees but still nice. Much less harsh than the rest of Texas during the Summer. At least we get a cool breeze.

And yes, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are very generic when you compare them to world famous cities like Philly, NY, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, etc. I will say that San Antonio is the least generic out of those cities though. It at least has the Mexican culture/influence and history that makes it unique.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Yes, I have been to San Diego and there are a lot of similarities between that city and CC.
Aside from both being "coastal" what else? Seriously.

Quote:
Have you ever been?
Yes, many times. I have friends that live there.

Quote:
Not sure how one could find this so hard to believe if they've been to both cities.
It's very easy.

Quote:
Our coastline might not be as picturesque but it's pretty nice. Of course you probably don't think so because you think water is only supposed to be aqua blue and anything less it trashy and dirty...right?
San Diego's water isn't aqua blue, but yes, overall, Texas has some subpar beaches/shorelines. Not all but a lot. Not just Corpus.

Corpus Christi has a beautiful coastline and there are about 300+ days of sunshine a year. Yeah, it's not 72 degrees but still nice. Much less harsh than the rest of Texas during the Summer. At least we get a cool breeze.

Quote:
And yes, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are very generic when you compare them to world famous cities like Philly, NY, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, etc.
How are they generic? How are you applying that term to these cities?

However, let me get this, you're either "Philly, NY, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans" or generic. Since you're saying Corpus won't be generic, it'll be on the same scale as "Philly, NY, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans", correct?

Quote:
I will say that San Antonio is the least generic out of those cities though. It at least has the Mexican culture/influence and history that makes it unique.
How are Dallas and Houston (and still SA) generic though?

Generic Definition | Definition of Generic at Dictionary.com

Seriously.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:25 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
San Diego is actually pretty generic to me.

My father always thought that Corpus could have so much potential if it just wanted to progress. I really hope he is right because I'd love to see it become something.

And where is everyone in the Corpus thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi