Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:45 AM

121 posts, read 812,131 times

Advertisements

I know I'm going way out on a limb here, but I figured what the heck. I've visited Corpus and Port Aransas a couple times in the last year, and have decided I would love to move down there. Currently, I live in Fort Worth, and that makes it difficult to find a job down there. I've done lots of looking online through the Caller-Times' classifieds, but I'm not sure that I've seen quite what I'm looking for.

The question that will soon arise from yall is this: What am I looking for?

A change of pace. I don't really care what kind of work. My background has been in small business management and retail management, but it seems that has become stale to me. To be perfectly honest, I'm not even that picky about the money as long as there is something I know I could go down there to, and it would keep my expenses paid (they consist of car insurance, cell phone, a little entertainment, and I would have to find somewhere to live, therefore pay rent). It certainly wouldn't have to be anything glamorous, I'm just not certain how to approach it.

Do yall have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 07:38 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,984,842 times
Well,if you really want to live there,and are single to where no one else is counting on you for financial support,then my answer would be to just take a week and go look for a job in person,and take one that suits you.The economy there is very stable,and retail and management jobs should be fairly plentiful if it is anything like the rest of Texas.Once you are there then you will be more able to pick up local references on available jobs if you want to look for a better one.Nothing like being on the ground there,so to speak.If you have no one else to support,what's the worst that can happen?

Last edited by lifertexan; 06-28-2006 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2006, 11:44 AM

Yeah, I've kind of considered that, but it would be fairly expensive, and I'm not swimming in any money. Even a week, you've got $100+ in gas round trip, plus even the cheapest of places is gonna charge you $35 a night to stay. I've considered camping down there to save money, just complicates things somewhat.

I'm really not looking to stay in the retail/small business management realm, I wouldn't exactly turn it down, but I'm not pursuing it. I just want to try something new, something like getting into an entry level construction position or possibly working as a bartender (at some bar where i mostly pour beer ) or working on a fishing boat of some sort. I don't particularly care, as long as it's enough money to live on.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 PM

While I would never absolutely guarantee something like finding a job to someone on this forum,if you are willing to try things like construction or fishing,it would completely shock me if you didn't have a job within a couple of days.Construction is booming,and most construction trades,with the exception of electricians or plumbers that take a couple of years to learn,are begging for hard working help.Many trades can be picked up pretty quick,like framing,roofing,insulation.Corpus is also a big port center also.I can't imagine having any difficulty in finding a job if you leave your options as wide open as you seem to be.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,217,052 times
Corpus doesn't really offer too much in terms of a career untils its something you 've spent years studying.

Opening up a restaurant is another opinion.

Fishing too.

Construction in Corpus isn't really "booming."

Corpus the city is growing by less than 1,000 people a year and the metro area of Corpus is going at about 1,500 a year.

Very very slowly.

My advise... say where you're at and buy a summer home down there.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 PM

That's funny.One of my friends lives there and is there because his company relocated him there because of the construction growth.Construction growth doesn't depend necessarily on population growth.The town I live in is not growing fast,in fact our schools are actually losing enrollment,but the construction boom is going crazy,including new homes,new restaraunts,new shopping strip centers.Construction here is often delayed because there are not enough workers to handle all the construction going on.

Last edited by lifertexan; 06-29-2006 at 10:46 PM..

Old 06-30-2006, 12:37 PM

Lifer, I pretty much assume the same thing, that I'd be able to find something, but I can be something of a wuss when it comes to moving a few hundred miles away from anyone who can help me out

I also get a little concerned about the difference between finding "something" and finding something that pays enough to live on, I don't even know where I'd stay down there. It all seems easy enough, but 210 throws a dose of caution in there. I suppose the ideal thing would be for me to make some kind of contact down there and get something lined up before hand.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:35 PM

Oh,I agree that you should definitely have a job lined up at a wage good enough to support you before you move.I just don't think you would have any trouble finding a job.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:21 PM

I guess for the meantime, I'll keep checking the classifieds in the Corpus Christi Caller Times and trying to see if I can stir anyone up who lives in the area who might be able to provide some more insight.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:21 AM

105 posts, read 145,519 times
I live in this area after having been just about everywhere. Corpus may not be booming but Rockport and Aransas Pass as well as Portland are. THe weather is nice and warm and there is little traffic. Crime in Rockport is rare and in CC its so so. Aransas Pass and parts of CC are poorer while Rockport and Portland have higher incomes and wealth. Rockport has more men than women if thats of interest. Lots of wildlife. Lake Corpus Christi is pretty and inexpensive to live - about the cheapest lake it Texas- it wont stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi