Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,305 times

Advertisements

I'm a former Texan living in Western Washington in the middle-stage of applying for a job in Corpus Christi and would deeply appreciate some suggestions about apartment complexes -- name names, please -- or, at least, decent neighborhoods I should look at. If I take this job, I won't have much time to grab a place to live.

I'm a middle-aged woman, small and I have no weapons. I live alone, and would be getting off work about midnight. Safety, therefore, is important. I prefer an apartment complex that has grounds; I have cats that I allow out sometimes, when I'm home. In other words, a high-rise type of building is not what I'm looking for.

I'm leery of a commute, having lived in a traffic-congested area for so long and sick to death of my work drive. It's "only" 45 minutes to work, but it's a harsh 45 mintues. But please correct me if I'm wrong about the traffic to and from a more outlying-ish area.

For reference, my place of employment would be near (south, I think) that massive freeway exchange, near North Mesquite Street. I think.

Ideas, again, will be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Sounds like you're going to be close to downtown and the only complex that I can think of with some grounds would be the Bay Vista complex. I'm not sure what the street address is. There are also condos you could rent, but they are mostly high rises. If you are close to downtown, another idea would be to rent in Portland. Depending on where the apartment is, the commute would be 10-15 minutes and not very harsh at all. Really, it would be quite nice.

I think another poster had decided on an apartment in Portland recently. If you search this forum for Portland you can probably find the name of it.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
I agree with Marlow. To be as close to downtown and safe at night, Portland has the small town appeal and is really well situated to all the cool stuff you want and miss in Texas. I live on the Southside of CC and it's nice here too, but getting downtown requires you to drive up, then over, then back and the traffic is less predictable. I've never lived in Portland, and it's not in Nueces County so what I relate is from impression and reputation. Good luck and welcome back.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 18,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGalAgain View Post
I'm a former Texan living in Western Washington in the middle-stage of applying for a job in Corpus Christi and would deeply appreciate some suggestions about apartment complexes -- name names, please -- or, at least, decent neighborhoods I should look at. If I take this job, I won't have much time to grab a place to live.

I'm a middle-aged woman, small and I have no weapons. I live alone, and would be getting off work about midnight. Safety, therefore, is important. I prefer an apartment complex that has grounds; I have cats that I allow out sometimes, when I'm home. In other words, a high-rise type of building is not what I'm looking for.

I'm leery of a commute, having lived in a traffic-congested area for so long and sick to death of my work drive. It's "only" 45 minutes to work, but it's a harsh 45 mintues. But please correct me if I'm wrong about the traffic to and from a more outlying-ish area.

For reference, my place of employment would be near (south, I think) that massive freeway exchange, near North Mesquite Street. I think.

Ideas, again, will be very much appreciated.
There are not any high rise buildings in Corpus. As far as safety is concerned, as others have already mentioned, Portland is probably your best bet. Whatever you do, DO NOT live anywhere near downtown. The crime is absolutely horrible and you could not pay me enough to go down there around midnight. I dislike going downtown during the day, due to the large homeless population, individuals who use illegal drugs in public, and the lack of security. I highly urge you to reconsider relocating to Corpus Christi, there are so many better places to live in this country, and life is too short to spend time in a subpar one.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
There are not any high rise buildings in Corpus. As far as safety is concerned, as others have already mentioned, Portland is probably your best bet. Whatever you do, DO NOT live anywhere near downtown. The crime is absolutely horrible and you could not pay me enough to go down there around midnight. I dislike going downtown during the day, due to the large homeless population, individuals who use illegal drugs in public, and the lack of security. I highly urge you to reconsider relocating to Corpus Christi, there are so many better places to live in this country, and life is too short to spend time in a subpar one.
Wow! I come downtown every day and to events at night and I've never seen any crime, much less absolutely horrible crime. Illegal drugs in public? I've smelled pot from a passing car, but that's about it.

There are reasons not to like Corpus, but I don't think your portrayal of the downtown area is very accurate.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 18,350 times
I have been downtown numerous times, and have seen people picking up prostitutes, people spraying graffiti, and people shooting up some kind of drug right behind the library. I'm actually quite surprised you have never noticed any of it, everyone I have talked to has seen at least one of these crimes.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 AM

I guess you and I aren't hanging out at the same places.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,305 times
Sorry, I am tardy in expressing my gratitude for your responses. I'll fly down there for an interview soon, if all arrangements can be made soon, but it's got to be a quick turn-around and I won't get to actually experience much of Corpus Christi. I guess I'm still kind of torn about settling down there (as well as a couple of issues with the job).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi