Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,534 times

Advertisements

There are also plans to renovate Padre Staples Mall. However, these are on hold because of the Crosstown Commons Development. They may or may not go forward:

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Here's an article on the developer's change of heart:

Vote has Padre unsure of plans
By Elvia Aguilar (Contact)
Originally published 01:00 a.m., June 28, 2007
Updated 04:13 a.m., June 28, 2007

Fort Worth-based Trademark Property Co. hasn't abandoned a definitive agreement to acquire Padre Staples Mall, but Tuesday's City Council vote opening the door to tax incentives for a rival project leaves in doubt whether the company will spend $250 million in renovations and upgrades as it has considered doing, a company official said Wednesday.

The company also still plans to buy the Staples Center near Padre Staples Mall, said Terry Montesi, president and CEO of Trademark Property Co.

Montesi said the council's decision would cripple Padre Staples Mall for the next few years. He said he fears that Padre Staples Mall could become "Sunrise Mall No. 2," a reference to the Sunrise Mall at Airline Road and South Padre Island Drive that has struggled for several years to replace departed tenants.

"In light of the devastating decision made last night by the City Council and Trademark Property's understandable reluctance to bring their unmatched retail expertise to a city that would consciously annihilate existing business, Padre Staples Mall is considering all options for recourse," Bevly's news release said, declining further comment.

Vote has Padre unsure of plans : Corpus Christi Caller-Times - Local : caller.com

.................................................. .................................................. ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
RGV

And anyone who can't find something fun to do in this city, just ain't looking.

Photos from Corpus' EDC Website:

http://www.ccredc.com/images/Bayfrontmorning.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/beachwalkway.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/CCSKYLIN.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/CORPUSSK.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/harborshot1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/marinaaerialshot.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/SAILBOAT.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/Dune.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/HarborBridge.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ccredc.com/images/whataburgerfield_2.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
this new mall project has been the talk around my family's dinner table recently. none of us really thinks that this project will be what they want it to be. if they get high end retailers in there, i think that there is only a finite amount of corpus christians who could afford it. i would argue that frost bros was our fanciest store and there was only one of those. i also question the location. to those that have lived in the city for a long time, the area where they are building is just not the southside. it would be hard for me to imagine southsiders going to the westside to shop. not too long ago, there was a shooting at the tinseltown theater, which is closeby. Have the proposed mall owners given any thought to crime happening in the new mall? that would be some hugely bad publicity that would keep many would-be shoppers away. i think that certain locals LIKE to say that they went to san antonio to do their shopping. it gives those shoppers the feeling that they are "better off" because they went to a fancier city to do their shopping, as funny as it seems. i don't think that you could depend on mexican shoppers either. their patterns of shopping in houston and san antonio are long established and those cities have a lot more to do than corpus. oh and i am also strongly against tax incentives for these developers!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM
RGV

I think south siders would travel to Westside Commons. It's not too far really. Looking at the map it's just up SPI Hwy.

Also, I'm sure CPL will have security in a place like that.

As for the incentives issue. That was a very touchy thing, esp. since I believe some of the stores from Padre Staples will be relocating to Westside Commons. But, this kind of development does not come around much, and without the incentives probably would not have gone forward. CC really needs this kind of development and I think it was the right thing to do. It's really going to help out with future development in that area and bigger tax base.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 AM
RGV

Here's the latest on Padre Staples Mall. Story in Todays CC Caller. The Mall developers have just place their application for tax incentives:

.................................................. .............................................

Padre Mall seeks tax aid
Development firm would add cinema, hotel, more stores
By Beth Wilson (Contact)
Originally published 01:00 a.m., July 10, 2007
Updated 03:17 a.m., July 10, 2007

The development company interested in buying and renovating Padre Staples Mall has filed the city's first application for retail tax incentives but didn't put a dollar amount to its request.

"We really don't have an exact amount yet," Trademark Property Co. President Terry Montesi said Monday, adding it likely will be in the $10 million to $15 million range.

According to the application, Trademark would add a two-story cinema, a 250-room hotel, a four-level parking garage and more retail stores to Padre Staples Mall. That is an extra 242,620 square feet for the mall, which now is 1,020,954 square feet.

Padre Mall seeks tax aid : Corpus Christi Caller-Times - Local : caller.com

.................................................. ..................................................

I say, fair is fair, if they gave it to Crosstown, they should give it to Padre Staples.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
i would agree with you that corpus needs more movie theaters, since 2 for a city that size is really inadequate. however, there was a movie theater at padre-staples mall already that's now gone. corpus could use some newer hotels on the southside, again not a good selection to pick from. i am for having only one mall in corpus. perhaps b/c i saw the ruin of sunset mall which i thought was a very good mall.
i think that this whole new mall has to do more with enriching the developers' pockets than giving a gift to corpus christians.

rgv, do you live in corpus? if you don't, it might explain why you're so in favor of these tax incentives goind to these developers. i.e.,it's not coming out of your tax dollars.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM
RGV

Haha, you're right, I live in Houston.

Also, "sunset mall"

Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 30,498 times
RE; changeofpace's post.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you. However North Padre Island is a great example of what is wrong with Corpus Christi.

The island is a huge dissapointment to most vistors. There is no place to eat outside on the water. Oh sure there is Snoopy's & Doc's. but that's it ! If we wanted Breakfest, forget it. Let's face it, neither place is very nice. If I want decent food, I have to drive to Port Aransus & back. Pretty good drive.
Oh, the Holiday Inn really is pretty old and crappy! No way to dine outside there either.

Corpus should take a page out of Rockport Texas's play book. They get it ! Dining, Entertainment & Fun ! Better Demographic area too!

Padre Island won't grow up till they figure out that SPID is not a highway when it has stoplights on it. Speed limit is way to high for a business district. The island has stores on both sides of the street.
I envision the island with Golf Cars used to transport residents from home to shopping & beach. There is no way in hell that will happen when cars drive 60 & 70 MPH on SPID on the island.

Padre lacks the Class needed to be successful, again Rockport it's not. I'm no fan of Port A either, it's just for kids. However, they do have dining. Dining is very important, unless you just want to be a Suburb !

As I look back, I wish I had located in the Rockport area. It's to late for me. I'm getting out of Texas, I've wasted enough money here.

All I'm saying kids. Do your homework. You learn nothing on a short trip to town... this is a backward place that has proven Time in & Time out. They do not want to improve.... residents prefer cars & trucks on the beach over kids & dogs. By the way, I'm not talking about the national Seashore out of town, They like cars on the Beach in the CITY LIMITS !!!

If you like Wrestling & Tractor Pulls..... this is Hog Heaven !!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:23 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
amen Honest & Blunt, you tell it like it is.
however, i disagree re tractor pulls-if there were lots of this and rodeo and COUNTRY TEXAS THANGS going on, i might could like this area. but there aint.
it aint country, it aint Texas...it just plain sucks here.
and i feel so bad that you are leaving Texas all together. please PLEASE do not judge Texas by your experience in Corpus!!! PLEASE.
trust me, this is far from what the REST of Texas is like. this is a whole other country down here....anywhere south of the Nueces River, its all down hill....
if you stay north of Nueces River, and preferably north of San Antonio, you will see why I love Texas.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:52 PM

232 posts, read 995,263 times
Give me a break....I'm enjoying the area a lot.....Again...if you don't like it....leave !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi