U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM

1,744 posts, read 3,206,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Sounds like the more expensive the cruiseline the better your experience has been.. I don't think I'll book through a travel agent because of the extra cost, actually my family use to sell cruise vacations but we never been on many.

I heard bad about Royal Caribbean.

Do any other cruiselines have something called "freestyle cruising" or something? Where u can walk into any restaurant at ur own convenient time and not worry about the bill.. My one cruise experience was that. Any cruiselines with a rigid schedule I should avoid?
Most travel agents get their cruise commission direct from the cruise line and not the passenger, unlike using a TA to purchase air. If they are charging you more, go someplace else. We don't use them as we do the research ourselves.

Depending on what your goal is here, you may want to look at the ports you would like to visit and then begin looking at cruise lines that stop in those ports, unless it's just the onboard experience thats the most important thing to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 AM

188 posts, read 520,861 times
The cruise lines that you mentioned are great. Carnival does not have the greatest reputation but they are trying to change. Trying to get away from the rep of a "party ship" I donít know if they will succeed. The two ships that are in NY right now are pretty nice. Carnival Glory is the larger of the two. Glory was refurbished in 2006 The Miracle came out in 2004 but has not been refurbed.
Most cruise lines are using the "free style" dining method. They all have different names for it. If you want to do this on RCCL or Celebrity, dining gratuities must be paid in full up front. This isn't a bad thing. In fact it is one extra item you won't have to worry about while on the cruise.

You have some good choices out of NY for the summer and fall. You really canít go wrong. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are missing though.
Princess is a great line. The Caribbean and Crown Princess are newer ships and have been refurbished lately. The NCL Ships are great too. Look at itineraries and go from there. By all means use a cruise consultant or travel agent for booking a cruise. Cruising can be very confusing and it isnít just about price. Category and cabin placement have a lot to do with making your decision. As Chilkoot said, just make sure that the consultant does not charge you a fee for their services. Whether booking on line or working with a live person the cruise lines pay the fees. So you might as well talk to someone rather than pushing a button.
I could go on and on but one more tip. Book early! We are finding that the last minute deals are not out there anymore. This is a big issue we have especially down in FL. Clients want a cruise next week or in a month and the prices are sky high or sold out!
Good luck and have a great cruise. Private message me if you have other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or