Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore in late August with Royal Caribbean and I'm wondering about how it may impacted by the oil spill. I read that Bermuda is on the Gulf Stream (hence its tropical climate despite being the same latitude as North Carolina) so I'm concerned about how it will be affected by the oil. Bermuda also is very far offshore and they're predicting the oil may affect beaches on the Atlantic coast but still mention the Gulf Stream which goes to Bermuda.

I've heard that many cruise ships use treated seawater for the on-board water supply vs. filling up on water while in port. The cruise will go all the way down the coast from the Chesapeake Bay all the way to Bermuda (and the bay itself is polluted) so is there a risk of a cancellation if the water becomes untreatable?

Finally I've read that the Bermuda Triangle is not completely legend, but on the maps it only borders on one part of Bermuda. I wonder if anyone's gone to Bermuda before knows if the ships know to avoid certain areas, I read about some chemical substances in the ocean that can cause rogue waves, etc in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,170 times
Well Tom,
you have a lot of concerns, I could see worrying about the oil on the beach but since either no one knows or is telling how much oil is in the lower - below surface currents I think it will just be a actual reported oil wash ups until we know when it finally get in to the gulf stream. Then how will the spill act once in the gulf stream, localized in it or dispersed through out it.

A cruise ship can always alter course if they find that the vessel in in a slick. On CNBC this morning there was a piece on the shipping industry in the gulf and wanting to keep the boats out of a slick so the hull does not get fouled, so I would suspect a cruise ship would try to keep clear of oil. Also especially if their desalination process would not handle oil very well.

As for the triangle, I would worry more about the drive to the airport or pier I'm sure your life is in more peril in that scenario.

You could always by the upgraded trip insurance which allows you to cancel for any reason.

I am going to Barbados in July, their rainy season. The hurricane season is predicted to be very active this year with surface currents /water temps already very high. I am concerned about heavy rain but would rather spend my time looking at pics of Barbados and planning for a great time.

Relax and have fun.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
It's hard to take your questions seriously when you mention fears about the "Bermuda Triangle".

I guess the oil spill is a good question, but my guess is that the oil will be diluted by the time it gets to the Atlantic. It's a tragic mess in the Gulf of Mexico, although the predicted impact to the florida west coast beaches has not occured. The above poster addressed it well.

But Bermuda Triangle? I am not going to even justify your concern by commenting...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
I highly doubt the spill will have reached Bermuda by the time of your cruise, maybe 6-8 months, but not by August.

I would worry more about Hurricanes as August is the high season for the most powerful storms. The ship will probably divert around the worst of any gale, but you might get some rain, wind, and really big swells at times. Take or make sure you can get seasickness pills before you go.

Sounds exciting. Have fun!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's hard to take your questions seriously when you mention fears about the "Bermuda Triangle".

I guess the oil spill is a good question, but my guess is that the oil will be diluted by the time it gets to the Atlantic. It's a tragic mess in the Gulf of Mexico, although the predicted impact to the florida west coast beaches has not occured. The above poster addressed it well.

But Bermuda Triangle? I am not going to even justify your concern by commenting...
I don't really FEAR the Bermuda Triangle, just curious actually. I don't believe in conspriacies or space-time rifts, but just curious about it. But wikipedia does talk about methane crystals or whatever that can change the density of water. And rogue waves are not unheard of. You can actually google it and it shows large ships even aircraft carriers and supertankers facing them.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I highly doubt the spill will have reached Bermuda by the time of your cruise, maybe 6-8 months, but not by August.

I would worry more about Hurricanes as August is the high season for the most powerful storms. The ship will probably divert around the worst of any gale, but you might get some rain, wind, and really big swells at times. Take or make sure you can get seasickness pills before you go.

Sounds exciting. Have fun!
Yeah hopefully there won't be a storm cause that just coops you up indoors in the ship while i'd like to be at the pool on deck or when we're docked in Bermuda to be sightseeing and going to the beach. This certainly will be a fun summer, before the cruise I'll also be going cross country and back with friends. So the contrast with travelling across the heartland and the desert vs going to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean will be interesting.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't really FEAR the Bermuda Triangle, just curious actually. I don't believe in conspriacies or space-time rifts, but just curious about it. But wikipedia does talk about methane crystals or whatever that can change the density of water. And rogue waves are not unheard of. You can actually google it and it shows large ships even aircraft carriers and supertankers facing them.
My Grandfather was a pilot that flew over the triangle many, many times. Mostly he never had any issues, but sometimes there were problems that he had, that he couldn't explain, but I think that they are naturaly occuring.
I think the Bermuda cruise will not be affected by the oil spill. Have fun!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
My Grandfather was a pilot that flew over the triangle many, many times. Mostly he never had any issues, but sometimes there were problems that he had, that he couldn't explain, but I think that they are naturaly occuring.
I think the Bermuda cruise will not be affected by the oil spill. Have fun!
"The triangle" happens to cover one of the most traveled air and shipping lanes on the planet. My father, a now-retired professional military and civilian commercial pilot based on Florida, has also flown this portion of air space thousands of times over a two or three decade period and has never had an unexplained event - no compasses spinning, no glitch in the matrix, no UFO sigtings.

A short note on hurricanes - The cruise lines are very adapt at cruising around hurricane courses. It's a normal occurance. At worst, you will miss some ports of call.

Last edited by Dd714; 06-25-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
"The triangle" happens to cover one of the most traveled air and shipping lanes on the planet. My father, a now-retired professional military and civilian commercial pilot based on Florida, has also flown this portion of air space thousands of times over a two or three decade period and has never had an unexplained event - no compasses spinning, no glitch in the matrix, no UFO sigtings.

A short note on hurricanes - The cruise lines are very adapt at cruising around hurricane courses. It's a normal occurance. At worst, you will miss some ports of call.
I really hope it doesn't happen. The biggest problem is that if they suddenly change a port of call on us (this cruise only features Bermuda and no place else since Bermuda is so isolated that far out into the Atlantic Ocean). If they cancel it then all the research we are doing on Bermuda and its attractions would be pointless and we would no nothing about the new port and what is interesting there. What's the usual alternative if a Bermuda stop is cancelled? Charleston or Savannah? I would assume the Bahamas is too far away.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,446 times
First of all, I've survived the "Triangle" many times. So, don't worry. Next, the oil spill is in the Gulf of Mexico. Even when and if it gets picked up by the Gulf Stream it will be in such diluted form that you will hardly notice. Bermuda is thousands of miles away from the spill. I wouldn't worry one bit and enjoy the nice pink sands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises