U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2015, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,073 posts, read 83,752,398 times
Reputation: 41844

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i have a dining room and i wear a tshirt in it when i eat quite frequently
Dining in your home is not the same as in public. I love casual dress, yes, on cruise ships as well, but there is casual and there is sloppy!!! I am trying to be judgemental. I just wonder if some people do realize how they look to others. I can live with shorts in the MDRs, nice golf type of shirts, capris for sure, but plain, old, faded t shirts, wrinkled shorts, rubber flip flops, I wish you wouldn't. And, no it isn't my place to tell anyone how to dress unless they are indecent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 AM
 
4,424 posts, read 5,462,735 times
Reputation: 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Dining in your home is not the same as in public. I love casual dress, yes, on cruise ships as well, but there is casual and there is sloppy!!! I am trying to be judgemental. I just wonder if some people do realize how they look to others. I can live with shorts in the MDRs, nice golf type of shirts, capris for sure, but plain, old, faded t shirts, wrinkled shorts, rubber flip flops, I wish you wouldn't. And, no it isn't my place to tell anyone how to dress unless they are indecent.
but was the food good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Camberville
12,050 posts, read 16,792,560 times
Reputation: 19823
I don't do cruises, but if I did, the formal dining would be a PLUS not a detraction. I love dressing up and don't often get the chance to do so. And what better time than a cruise when you're not hauling your suitcase around from place to place as you visit?

Then again, cruises are my idea of a special sort of hell so what do I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,073 posts, read 83,752,398 times
Reputation: 41844
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't do cruises, but if I did, the formal dining would be a PLUS not a detraction. I love dressing up and don't often get the chance to do so. And what better time than a cruise when you're not hauling your suitcase around from place to place as you visit?

Then again, cruises are my idea of a special sort of hell so what do I know?
Why a special kind of HELL, what are you basing this on if you have never cruised? Now, as for dressing, our granddaughter (one of them) would agree with you 100%. She loves to dress up and thinks that is one of the best parts of cruising. On the other hand, her older sister can't be bothered. No, she wouldn't go to the dinner room looking like a street person, but the idea of formal dress, no way. Everyone has his/her own idea. I think one of the main reasons many of us do not like to dress up on ships anymore is the cost and other of transporting our evening wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Reputation: 12484
And this argument goes on and on when discussing cruises. Every cruise forum on the internet has discussed this for the last 10+ years, no good answer. It can be debated forever but overall life has gone way more casual than in the past.

I've cruised 30+ years, remembering good old days of cruising and adjust to the way it is now. Because I cruise for at least 3 weeks, usually 4, I'm middle of the road on my evening wear. I never feel out of place on formal nights. I do a long black skirt, very dressy top, or fancy black, dressy pants, another sparkly top, easy to pack! I will be dressier than some, under dressed compared to others, does it matter? No! Traveling for a month, I take one 26" suitcase plus a small carryon bag. Years ago, I took so much, big suitcase, a garment bag with formal wear, shoes, purses to match, ugh!

My take on the issue is go to the buffet on formal night if you don't want to dress up plus how hard is it? It doesn't have to be a tux or a long gown, middle of the road is fairly easy and will not break the bank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,073 posts, read 83,752,398 times
Reputation: 41844
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
And this argument goes on and on when discussing cruises. Every cruise forum on the internet has discussed this for the last 10+ years, no good answer. It can be debated forever but overall life has gone way more casual than in the past.

I've cruised 30+ years, remembering good old days of cruising and adjust to the way it is now. Because I cruise for at least 3 weeks, usually 4, I'm middle of the road on my evening wear. I never feel out of place on formal nights. I do a long black skirt, very dressy top, or fancy black, dressy pants, another sparkly top, easy to pack! I will be dressier than some, under dressed compared to others, does it matter? No! Traveling for a month, I take one 26" suitcase plus a small carryon bag. Years ago, I took so much, big suitcase, a garment bag with formal wear, shoes, purses to match, ugh!

My take on the issue is go to the buffet on formal night if you don't want to dress up plus how hard is it? It doesn't have to be a tux or a long gown, middle of the road is fairly easy and will not break the bank!
I think it is a couple of things: good or bad, we are living in a more casual world now, compared to when many of us started cruising 30 or more years ago. Even work time dress has gone casual in most cases. Add to that the cost and weight restrictions when flying and most of us do not want to take more clothes than we have to take. As for going to the buffet on formal nights, we did just that on our last Princess cruise and there were men in tux eating there even. Some lines this would work, others not.

There is no right or wrong answer, it is simply a matter of what each of us likes. I am very happy with the casual dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Reputation: 12484
There is no right or wrong answer, it is simply a matter of what each of us likes. I am very happy with the casual dress.

Great answer and very true. Traveling alone, wanting to be able to handle my own luggage easily, I don't mind casual. I do find some silky, dressy tops to go with slacks are lighter than some of my casual, hang around the ship stuff!

I play it close, last Fall for 27 days, my bag weighed 44 lbs., perfect! I did one load of laundry, love Princess and their laundry rooms. There was a party atmosphere on Plaza deck for turnaround day! Hard to explain but it was a fun time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top