U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,276,938 times

Advertisements

The only cruise that we have been on was the Royal Caribbean to Bermuda out of Philly. I think there were two formal nights, but not everyone was dressed up. Most people just wore regular clothes and some were even in shorts and tees. My husband just took one pair of "dress" slacks and a short sleeve shirt and I wore an easy to care for outfit. No one at our table was dressed up. However, if you are concerned, there was plenty of food at the buffet every night and it was good and included in the price.

As far as quantity of food, one of our tablemates always ordered a minimum of two dinners and sometimes tried all of the dinners. There was no limit to how much you could order.

Maybe if you are sitting at the captain's table you would dress up. I did see some men in tuxedos and some young women wearing what looked like prom gowns, but overall, I did not see many people really what I would consider dressed up. Never saw anyone in the dining room dressed like the pic above.

Just go and enjoy the cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:54 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,429,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Living in Miami I truly see people like that on a regular basis and it truly makes me wonder 1. what is truly going through their mind when they are wearing it 2. what do they think when the realize NOBODY really dresses like this? 3. what kind of looks do they get at the checkout lane when they are buying this?
We have our fair share in San Diego as well! Forget about what looks they get in the checkout lane...I want to know just where one finds such a hideous ensemble!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:08 PM

14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times
I wear suits to weddings and funerals. I have no intention of wearing one on vacation.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,451,143 times
Don't care for dress restrictions, wear a uniform to work everyday, isn't that enough?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:31 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,648,274 times
OMG! I LOVE cruising !!!! It's such a relaxing, fun, and enjoyable vacation - I just LOVE it. The lazy days at sea are my favorite part- eat, soak in the sun, cocktail-of-the-day .... YUMMY !!!!! And, I especially love the two "formal" days at sea. Common now, how often do you get all dressed up and look smok'n hot ?! It's FUN !!!!! An excuse to buy a new beautiful formal dress. I wear scrubs to work everyday, so when I have the chance to get dressed up I welcome it !!!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:34 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,429,036 times
OK, so many people say they don't like to get dressed up outside of work. Personally to me, that sounds crazy. My work attire is quite different than my going out attire. I'm pretty sure I'd be fired if I showed up in one of my going out dresses to a formal workplace! That said, cruises are known for this dress code and write out the rules on their sites. If you don't agree with it, don't go. Or, sit on the deck with a bunch of screaming kids, eating hot dogs and burgers. Can't be much simpler than that!

I personally think Americans have lost any sense of dressing nicely and most look frumpy when going out. I see this every single day in San Diego, a tourist haven. Even worse, many very nice restaurants relax the dress code to accommodate these frumpy looking people. Kudos to those that maintain a dress code. Sometimes it's nice to get dressed up for a night out. We travel all the time and I always have a nice dress and heels with me. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I have to wear flip flops and shorts!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM

7,828 posts, read 12,346,555 times
Good to know that some buffets are included in the price. On Royal Caribbean's website they say the shipboard burgers and fries place like Johnny Rockets do charge extra for the meal that you have to pay. We also might just skip dinner the night the ship in docked in Bermuda vs the hassle of getting back on the ship and then off again after dinner, especially since Royal Caribbean docks at Kings Wharf in the Dockyards which is not close to the main attractions in Hamilton and St. George according to the guide books.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM

710 posts, read 2,946,857 times
I wish there were more formal nights. Can't stand sitting down to eat at dinner, enjoying a 4 course meal and having to look at some guy in ripped shorts, flip flops, and a t shirt, accompanied by his wife in a swimsuit sarong, showing off her tattoos..

I know people go on vacation to relax but have a little consideration for others. That's what's wrong with the US today, as the late, great Rodney Dangerfield would say, "no respect"

Some staterooms aren't exactly inexpensive. Wear what you want at sizzler. Dress up when you're at a nice place

Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 AM

36 posts, read 103,711 times
It all depends on the line. If you're on a veritable booze cruise out of Miami, its doubtful you'll have to bring along formal wear.

If you're on Holland America, Cunard, etc., bring a nice outfit.

Cruises reflect American society in general. We've gone from looking presentable to sloth in public dress. No one likes to be told what to wear, but social norms are allowing us to see your trashy clothes, flip flops, and tatoos at what were formal situations.

If one dinner is too much for some people to dress up on a boat, then maybe they didn't plan the right vacation.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,913,729 times
Try Norwegian Cruise Lines..they are way more relaxed in the dinner aspect....no assigned seating/times either first come first served between 6:00-8:30 PM I believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises