U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:54 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think common sense and a happy medium is what is needed. On almost all lines, the truly formal nights have been scaled down. People no longer have to feel out of place if they choose to dress a little more casually, but people should also think of others. Too many live in a "me" world. Everyone knows or should know the difference between; formal wear; dressy casual; and complete casual and use the guidelines. I don't want to see someone show up for dinner looking like a slob regardless whether it is formal night or regular dining. On the other hand it doesn't bother me nor is it offensive if someone conceders a nice sport shirt and nice slacks dressy enough for the dinning room any night of the cruise.
Actually you missed semi-formal. True formal is always a tux. Semi-formal is suit and tie. dressy casual would at minimum be a collared shirt and slacks, but usually includes as well.

In my opinion the cruise lines shouldn't label them, instead they should be specific. If they will allow people into the dining rooms regardless of attire, they should put the word "optional" in each description.

Formal night requires collared shirt and slacks for men. No jeans or shorts.
Formal night requires collared shirt, slacks, and jacket for men. No jeans or shorts.
Formal night requires dark suit and tie for men.
Formal night requires tuxedo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 AM

14,280 posts, read 14,163,784 times
I found the P&O dress code for your info;

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/li...ard/dress_code

Old 11-06-2014, 09:08 AM

11,698 posts, read 4,953,341 times
I don't get the hate regarding formal night, you aren't forced to participate. If you feel like getting dolled up, great. If not, what's the big deal?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:22 PM

15,109 posts, read 19,078,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I don't get the hate regarding formal night, you aren't forced to participate. If you feel like getting dolled up, great. If not, what's the big deal?
Several reasons:

DH doesn't own a tuxedo or a dark suit. At 72 and long retired, the investment in these items is silly. He has several good sports coats (some dark colored), nice slacks, designer ties and high end long sleeve cotton shirts. All fit well. No dining room has ever turned him away (nor formal wedding, funerals and bar mitzfah's).

We don't check bags. Ever. We need to space in the one carry on each suitcase for clothes that can be worn several times, usually as part of several outfits. And yes, I still wear dresses and dress up for formal nights, with a pair of heels.

We enjoy eating in the MDR, and we've already paid for it. We are fine with eating at the buffet for lunch, but for dinner, we enjoy being waited on by the servers and enjoying our multi course meal at a leisurely pace, with wine. And no, we're not inclined to pay extra because we're not wearing a tux and long gown.

Clearly, we're not ever going to travel on Cunard, and apparently, P&O. That's fine with us. Celebrity, MSC, HAL, Princess and many other cruise lines are happy to have us on board.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM

72,123 posts, read 83,802,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Several reasons:

DH doesn't own a tuxedo or a dark suit. At 72 and long retired, the investment in these items is silly. He has several good sports coats (some dark colored), nice slacks, designer ties and high end long sleeve cotton shirts. All fit well. No dining room has ever turned him away (nor formal wedding, funerals and bar mitzfah's).

We don't check bags. Ever. We need to space in the one carry on each suitcase for clothes that can be worn several times, usually as part of several outfits. And yes, I still wear dresses and dress up for formal nights, with a pair of heels.

We enjoy eating in the MDR, and we've already paid for it. We are fine with eating at the buffet for lunch, but for dinner, we enjoy being waited on by the servers and enjoying our multi course meal at a leisurely pace, with wine. And no, we're not inclined to pay extra because we're not wearing a tux and long gown.

Clearly, we're not ever going to travel on Cunard, and apparently, P&O. That's fine with us. Celebrity, MSC, HAL, Princess and many other cruise lines are happy to have us on board.
our feelings, hubby does have a tux as he used to use it when active in the Free Masons, but I don't think it even fits him anymore. We have long grown out of the "don't I look special" stage. For those who enjoy the formal scene good for them, but there is reason most cruise lines have either done away with formal nights or relaxed what formal means.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 PM

11,698 posts, read 4,953,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Several reasons:

Celebrity, MSC, HAL, Princess and many other cruise lines are happy to have us on board.
And even they don't force anyone to participate in formal night.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:51 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
our feelings, hubby does have a tux as he used to use it when active in the Free Masons, but I don't think it even fits him anymore. We have long grown out of the "don't I look special" stage. For those who enjoy the formal scene good for them, but there is reason most cruise lines have either done away with formal nights or relaxed what formal means.
We no longer choose cruise lines that require formal attire. We own it and wear it to plenty of charity functions at home, when we cruise we want a dressy casual attire all the time. That doesn't mean shorts, jeans, or t-shirts, but rather a true country club/business/smart casual ENFORCED dress code. We wouldn't cruise on any line that doesn't enforce their dress code. Of course exceptions would always be made on the first night or two if luggage didn't arrive or for a person with a broken leg who might not be able to get long pants over the cast, etc.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:09 AM

49 posts, read 60,658 times
On the one hand, it seems silly to ask people to dress to the nines for cheap banquet food on mass market lines. On the other hand, there are many lines of cruises and options for everyone to pick what best suits them.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 PM

490 posts, read 898,547 times
Myself, I'm not expecting dressed to the nines, but on the two formal nights men should at least wear a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar. Last August I went on a Carnival Cruise and you should have seen the way some men and women dressed on formal night.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:58 PM

4,912 posts, read 3,405,536 times
It's kind of a tradition on cruise lines. Goes back to the days when only the elites could take an ocean voyage. You dressed up to show your status in life. Kind of an anachronism nowadays. A lot of us prefer a more informal atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises