U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 PM

11,672 posts, read 4,941,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Myself, I'm not expecting dressed to the nines, but on the two formal nights men should at least wear a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar. Last August I went on a Carnival Cruise and you should have seen the way some men and women dressed on formal night.
It's Carnival, what did you realistically expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times
Actually the attraction of living like the movies is often the attraction for many to cruise lines. They do it because the majority like it and it sells tickets . Nothing wrong with stepping out as it said if you want to. There are lines that have other areas not requiring it.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:45 AM

9,077 posts, read 8,359,440 times
I actually enjoyed the formal dress, however I was glad that it wasn't so rigid about tuxedos and long evening gowns, neither of which we own and weren't interested in purchasing just for the sake of the cruise.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It's Carnival, what did you realistically expect?
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,862,335 times
We've been on numerous cruises and have frequently 'chosen' to participate in formal nights; including when we took two of our older grandkids who had not often been exposed to upscale dining or social events. Even they were appalled at some people who 'chose' to attend formal nights in the main dining room, yet, dressed as if they were at a local diner or burger joint.

As I read through the posts on this thread, I can't help but, wonder what many of these "I wouldn't wear a suit to my own funeral folks," wear to weddings, funerals or other formal events(?). Does "Mr. nobody's going to tell me what to wear" really show up in a tank-top and flip-flops to walk his only daughter down the aisle? I'll bet some of these folks are among those who show-up at a job interview dressed like they are on their way to the beach. (Then, they later wonder why they are having such a hard time even getting a second interview!).

I'm not talking about being pretentious or creating a false impression, but, even though retired and living in Florida, I've still got a few suits and ties in the closet ... and will wear one if/when the situation calls for it. IMO, those who refuse this type of occasional convention, are working much harder to 'falsely impress' others with how self-assured and independent they are, than they would to simply demonstrate that they had some manners and social grace.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've been on numerous cruises and have frequently 'chosen' to participate in formal nights; including when we took two of our older grandkids who had not often been exposed to upscale dining or social events. Even they were appalled at some people who 'chose' to attend formal nights in the main dining room, yet, dressed as if they were at a local diner or burger joint.

As I read through the posts on this thread, I can't help but, wonder what many of these "I wouldn't wear a suit to my own funeral folks," wear to weddings, funerals or other formal events(?). Does "Mr. nobody's going to tell me what to wear" really show up in a tank-top and flip-flops to walk his only daughter down the aisle? I'll bet some of these folks are among those who show-up at a job interview dressed like they are on their way to the beach. (Then, they later wonder why they are having such a hard time even getting a second interview!).

I'm not talking about being pretentious or creating a false impression, but, even though retired and living in Florida, I've still got a few suits and ties in the closet ... and will wear one if/when the situation calls for it. IMO, those who refuse this type of occasional convention, are working much harder to 'falsely impress' others with how self-assured and independent they are, than they would to simply demonstrate that they had some manners and social grace.
I agree with you 100%. My son works in a service job and wears a uniform but can pull together a sports jacket, shirt, tie, and dress slacks with shoes when he needs to. That gets him through a wedding or funeral and if he needs formal he rents a tux. If I did anything right, he has excellent manners and dresses appropriately.

We no longer want to do formal nights on cruises (we do enough at home with charity events and galas) so we choose lines that don't have formal nights. They do have an after 6:00 pm dress code of country club casual which we always abide. ALWAYS. That said, if for some reason we found ourselves booked on a line with formal night, we would bring along the tux and gown.

And yes, I also wonder what some of these people wear to weddings and funerals, although I've been to some weddings where I was pretty shocked at the clothing people showed up in. (I'm not talking about backyard events with a pig roast, either.)

Old 11-16-2014, 01:05 PM

72,072 posts, read 83,735,637 times
you know what guys? I think we will all have to agree to disagree to some extent on this subject. Maybe we should just get over it and go on to something else. It seems we are beating a dead horse plus starting to make slide remarks about certain cruise lines and those who cruise them. What works for one may not work for another.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:07 PM

55,686 posts, read 74,680,484 times
we have moved from formal and etiquette to slob and boorish in just 40 years.
and we wonder why we experience road rage and litigation after we got rid of formality.
i for one dress when i cruise which is often

Old 11-16-2014, 04:23 PM

15,094 posts, read 19,053,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i for one dress when i cruise which is often
We are thankful. I avoid the "lifestyle cruises" and nudist cruises.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:19 PM

55,686 posts, read 74,680,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We are thankful. I avoid the "lifestyle cruises" and nudist cruises.
i was not referring to nude cruises, i was referring to slob cruises. you know the loud drunk flip flopped tattooed fat people that think a 2 piece looks good at 225 lbs plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises