U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,228,783 times

Advertisements

Check out the forums at cruisecritic dot com. They provide a wealth of information from the people that cruise on the various lines.

Overall, Carnival and Royal are just like Ford and Chevy. They're the "average Joe" style cruise lines. Carnival typically boasts larger rooms, better food, and rates. But from what I've gathered Royal has more impressive ships and usually have more onboard non-traditional cruise activities (ice skating, rock climb wall, surf rider, etc).

You'll also hear some say that Carnival is a party cruise line, but that's apparently a very old and outdated sentiment when compared to RCCL and similar cruise lines. Granted, you'll get more partiers on the 3 day cruises versus the 5 - 7 day (and longer) cruises, but I understand the clientele on CCL and RCCL are quite similar.

We've been on seven Carnival cruises so far. People have a good time on CCL, but we've seen very few who've had more than their share to drink. Not bad considering we've probably sailed with 15K or more people.

So, read up about the various cruise lines on cruisecritic. I think you'll find it worth the time. Happy cruising!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:45 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,687,410 times
Wow, did you ever go on this cruise? I have been on 5 Carnival cruises and going on another one in December. I always go when school is in session to avoid the kiddies! Always had a great time and I've done the Bahamas cruise. I would not put 5 people in a room. I did a cruise in February last year and it was 3 to a room and it was too TIGHT for us!! You could opt for connecting rooms if that will help!

Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,205,923 times
We're leaving on May 5th It will only be 3 of us

Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
My neighbor is a cruisaholic going on as many as 5 cruises a year. she agrees Carnival is for a younger crowd and Royal Caribbean is more refined but she has been very happy with Holland America on her last few trips says its the next step up from RC in catering to the older crowd..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,929,741 times
Granny's comments about Carnival are totally off the mark. We just returned from a 2 week cruise of the Med aboard our first Royal ship and frankly I would never choose RC over Carnival. We are back to Carnival for our next cruise leaving on May 6 to Jamaica and Grand Turk.

I hated the food on RC and actually lost 10 pounds - I ate salad and/or cookies for the last week of recycled food. Not to mention that there is a charge for room service and the food early in the morning and no before 7 room service.

We took 2 friends on a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas a few years ago and they loved it. They had an inside cabin big enough for 4 and it was quite large, although right behind the elevators and a bit noisy. The difference in cabin size between Carnival ships and RC is huge -- 25 sq feet.

As for party crowds on Carnival, we are seniors and we LOVE Carnival. It's down-to-earth, less professional (than RC) shows but we live in NYC - they are cute and entertaining. The available entertainment on Carnival is non-stop, whereas on RC, there are huge gaps -- because professionals want to rehearse in private.

We were among the younger group of travellers on the RC cruise - and I'm 61. We fit into the middle on Carnival. We've had 3 in the room on both Carnival and RC - never again on RC.

Bang for the buck - Carnival hands down
Fun - Carnival
Food quality - Carnival
Cabin space - Carnival hands down

Only one caveat: do not leave out of NYC for any warm water port. NEVER again will we do that. NOT EVER. Did I say NEVER?

BTW, if you are coffee drinkers, be prepared to pay on whatever line you choose. Coffee is horrible in the dining rooms - watered down to just about flavorless. We brought along "sticks" of instant coffee because I cannot stand Starburns coffee. Now if there was a DD or Seattle, I'd spring for a coffee a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I recently did the research that you're doing. This is the conclusion I've come to.Both cruiselines will get you to where you want to go...but they have different passenger bases. What I say next is in no way a criticism of either line....just what people to do.

If you want the non-stop party atmosphere younger crowd and food that's not bad but nothing to write home about...pick Carnival.
Absolutely wrong from the POV of a 61 yo great-grandma.

A bit of an older crowd and more upscale food/shows..pick Royal Carribean.
Food was blah, bland, yuck.

I'm 48 don't drink and picked Royal Carribean and it was a good fit. I have friends that like to party and prefer Carnival.
We are non-drinkers and we LOVE Carnival.

I went on Celebrity in June and felt I was too young.

Have a great time whatever line you choose.

Also go hang around Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic. You'll learn anything you wanted and didn't want to know about cruising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Thanks guys. We're still tossing the two around but your input and suggestions are appreciated.

From those of you who have been on Carnival ships; how many people were in your rooms? We were planning splitting 3/2 but the vacation planner keeps telling us that 5 people can fit comfortably in the room. Looking at the pics it looks really small to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Check out the forums at cruisecritic dot com. They provide a wealth of information from the people that cruise on the various lines.

Overall, Carnival and Royal are just like Ford and Chevy. They're the "average Joe" style cruise lines. Carnival typically boasts larger rooms, better food, and rates. But from what I've gathered Royal has more impressive ships and usually have more onboard non-traditional cruise activities (ice skating, rock climb wall, surf rider, etc).

You'll also hear some say that Carnival is a party cruise line, but that's apparently a very old and outdated sentiment when compared to RCCL and similar cruise lines. Granted, you'll get more partiers on the 3 day cruises versus the 5 - 7 day (and longer) cruises, but I understand the clientele on CCL and RCCL are quite similar.

We've been on seven Carnival cruises so far. People have a good time on CCL, but we've seen very few who've had more than their share to drink. Not bad considering we've probably sailed with 15K or more people.

So, read up about the various cruise lines on cruisecritic. I think you'll find it worth the time. Happy cruising!

Have a great time. We go on at least one cruise a year, some years 2-3. It's a wonderful way to see the world and to meet people/make friends. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,547,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Granny's comments about Carnival are totally off the mark. We just returned from a 2 week cruise of the Med aboard our first Royal ship and frankly I would never choose RC over Carnival. We are back to Carnival for our next cruise leaving on May 6 to Jamaica and Grand Turk.

I hated the food on RC and actually lost 10 pounds - I ate salad and/or cookies for the last week of recycled food. Not to mention that there is a charge for room service and the food early in the morning and no before 7 room service.

We took 2 friends on a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas a few years ago and they loved it. They had an inside cabin big enough for 4 and it was quite large, although right behind the elevators and a bit noisy. The difference in cabin size between Carnival ships and RC is huge -- 25 sq feet.

As for party crowds on Carnival, we are seniors and we LOVE Carnival. It's down-to-earth, less professional (than RC) shows but we live in NYC - they are cute and entertaining. The available entertainment on Carnival is non-stop, whereas on RC, there are huge gaps -- because professionals want to rehearse in private.

We were among the younger group of travellers on the RC cruise - and I'm 61. We fit into the middle on Carnival. We've had 3 in the room on both Carnival and RC - never again on RC.

Bang for the buck - Carnival hands down
Fun - Carnival
Food quality - Carnival
Cabin space - Carnival hands down

Only one caveat: do not leave out of NYC for any warm water port. NEVER again will we do that. NOT EVER. Did I say NEVER?

BTW, if you are coffee drinkers, be prepared to pay on whatever line you choose. Coffee is horrible in the dining rooms - watered down to just about flavorless. We brought along "sticks" of instant coffee because I cannot stand Starburns coffee. Now if there was a DD or Seattle, I'd spring for a coffee a day.

Have a great time. We go on at least one cruise a year, some years 2-3. It's a wonderful way to see the world and to meet people/make friends. Enjoy.

See now this is why every cruise line is different....everyone has different OPINIONS.

I hope you have a great cruise whichever line you chose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises