U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:05 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,220,095 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
Me & four of my girlfriends are planning on doing a cruise next April. We were thinking of a 3-night Bahama's cruise leaving on April 22nd (because one of my friends is a teacher & that's her Easter break) but we're flexible since we know the price is higher that weekend.

I'm comparing between Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Carnival has the lowest price but none of us have ever been on a cruise so we don't know anything about it. I've requested calls from cruise planners from both companies but 48 hours later I haven't heard from either.

Can you guys offer any advice or previous experiences with either cruise line?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,964,747 times
Go to Carnival's website.

Click on Community, then forums under the titles.

Here is a wealth of information about Carnival- almost everything you'd want to know or questions. But be sure to check out Carnival's FAQ- found on their site- before you visit because many questions can be answered here.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,350,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Go to Carnival's website.

Click on Community, then forums under the titles.

Here is a wealth of information about Carnival- almost everything you'd want to know or questions. But be sure to check out Carnival's FAQ- found on their site- before you visit because many questions can be answered here.
Note .... if you plan to cruise with Carnival and you own 100 or more Carnival shares (CCL) you can get onboard credit (dollars). The amount you get depends on the length of the cruise. I know that for a 14 day cruise it is worth $250.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,200,079 times
Those cruises are pretty cheap and worth the money IMO but they are cheap for a reason. These are some of the older boats so they are big but not very nice and they cant even be compared with the newer ships.

Anyway Carnival is cheaper for a reason too. Carnival is the Southwest Airlines of the Cruise Line Industry they offer a decent product at good prices. Dont expect anything too great. Service is so so, ships are so so and the crowd is so so.

Royal staff is much better, better service and a bit more of a classy atmosphere think of them as the American Airlines. A bit more expensive but it comes with their perks.

Either way for just a weekend cruise chose the ports of call you like and either crusie line I am sure you will have fun!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 AM

401 posts, read 410,828 times
I've done one cruise with Royal Caribbean and, I've never cruised with Carnival. Concerning Royal Caribbean, the ship I cruised on was Adventure of the Seas. It was impressive. It had 16 decks and could hold over 3,800 passengers. It had a mini shopping street inside the ship and a bi-level theater where they put on various free shows. They had both formal and open dining. The food was fine in both types of restaurants. Incredibly, the ship had a ice skating rink on the 3rd deck.

Concerning your 3 day Bahama cruise, That'll probably be the cheapest cruise you can do though you won't get to see much obviously. It'd be a chance for you and your friends to see if you like cruising. It has its plusses and minuses. A big plus is you only have to unpack ONCE. Another big plus is all your meals are paid for unless you choose to eat at one of the ship's specialty restaurants or dine at one your port of calls. A minus is you stuck to a set itinerary and have a certain amount of time at the places you visit. Another minus in my opinion is they try to milk you. They'll try to sell you photos of you and your friends so you can remember your adventure. Also, the nominal charge to access the Internet on-board ISN'T nominal in my opinion. I found out on my cruise it was 55 cents a minute.

Still, I think cruising is the best way to see the Caribbean. You don't have to take lots of puddle jumper flights. You arrive right at the city or close to it. And, you get to visit a number of islands if you do that kind of cruise. I'll be taking my second Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean and, I'm looking forward to it. I think you and your friends will have fun on the cruise.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,560,156 times
I recently did the research that you're doing. This is the conclusion I've come to.

Both cruiselines will get you to where you want to go...but they have different passenger bases.

What I say next is in no way a criticism of either line....just what people to do.

If you want the non-stop party atmosphere younger crowd and food that's not bad but nothing to write home about...pick Carnival.

A bit of an older crowd and more upscale food/shows..pick Royal Carribean.

I'm 48 don't drink and picked Royal Carribean and it was a good fit. I have friends that like to party and prefer Carnival.

I went on Celebrity in June and felt I was too young.

Have a great time whatever line you choose.

Also go hang around Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic. You'll learn anything you wanted and didn't want to know about cruising.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,220,095 times
Thanks guys. We're still tossing the two around but your input and suggestions are appreciated.

From those of you who have been on Carnival ships; how many people were in your rooms? We were planning splitting 3/2 but the vacation planner keeps telling us that 5 people can fit comfortably in the room. Looking at the pics it looks really small to me

Old 09-29-2010, 12:06 AM

2,106 posts, read 2,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Thanks guys. We're still tossing the two around but your input and suggestions are appreciated.

From those of you who have been on Carnival ships; how many people were in your rooms? We were planning splitting 3/2 but the vacation planner keeps telling us that 5 people can fit comfortably in the room. Looking at the pics it looks really small to me
I wouldn't do 5 in a room not even a suite...too cramped. I recommend 3/2 for you ladies.

I prefer Royal Carribean over Carnival. I have done Royal 4 times and Carnival 2 times. I only do 2 to a room, even if we have a large party. I think the service is better on Royal for the exception of my last trip. The food is better on Royal and presentation appeared cleaner and neater.

But the Carnival has a younger spring break crowd and I am not into that sort of thing...and you sound professional and I know you are youthful but I don't think you and your girls want to be exposed to that. You probably will port out of Port Canaveral since that is close to you....My vote is Royal but since it is a short cruise you should be fine either way..Have fun!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,350,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

5 people in a room is fine if you don't want to spend any time in your room and its only purpose is somewhere to crash out.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,042,709 times
Concerning number of people per room: The bathroom is tiny and storage space minimal. Plug-ins are few. If you are low-maintenance girls who pack light, you can do 5 to a room. If you have multiple hairdryers, flat-irons and plan to do makeup and hair before dinner or going out, spring for the extra room. Take along a retractable clothesline and some large spring clips to hang wet swimsuits. Pack some extra hangers-there are never enough in your room!

We have been to beaches in several countries and one of my favorite was Half-Moon Cay in the Carribean. This is Carnival's private island and was a simply beautiful and wonderful day of relaxing on a stunning beach. You could eat at the buffet on the beach or go back to the ship which was anchored close by. There was a bar, with entertainment, horseback riding, games or just swimming and sunning. I highly recommend it.

Half Moon Cay - The Bahamas - Carnival Cruise Lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises