U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,780,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I understand that, but the short distance in that length of time would kill me.
I'm glad you enjoyed your time and there's a lot in the region to enjoy.

Did you make it into Strasbourg, in Alsace?

I hope you made it to Bernkastle and Trier on the Mosel.

Did you get some great chocolates in Belgium? The home of frites is Belgium. Great museums in Antwerp, the home of Peter Paul Rubens... beer and museums in Brussels. Did you get to Brugges or Ghent?

I live in Germany and travel to those places for long weekend trips; that amount of time would drive me bonkers.

A boat trip is just not my cup of tea.
Strasbourg was delightful, Bernkastle & Trier were magical. Our ship passed through the lock near Strasbourg at 5:50Am, the French strike closed the lock at 6:00AM, somebody likes us!!! The chocolates in Antwerp were sinful, along with their incredible beers and delicious fries.We unfortunately didn't make it to Brugges or Ghent.

This was our 2nd trip on the Rhine and Mosel and I've become a German travel advocate. The country is incredibly beautiful, very friendly to US tourists and simply a wonderful place to visit. We will return often.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 11-08-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM

23,754 posts, read 65,855,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Then there is (was ?) the one in Sweden, that goes from the south all the way to Stockholm.
This is the one:
Göta kanal - en av Sveriges mest kända turistattraktioner
And a smaller one:
www.dalslandskanal.se

Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 PM

5,326 posts, read 11,041,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Uhmm ... The Goeta Kanal goes east west (or the other way around).
I was thinking of the one that starts down south, I think in Helsingborg, and then goes north via Stora Vatten (the lake north of Joenkoeping ? - is that Stora Vatten or Lille Vatten ? - anyway that lake west of E-4) I think, all the way to Stockholm.
I always wanted to go on that one.

Dalslandkanal - Is that not where they have those canoe races ???

Geesj, too long ago, to remember (1957-1961)

Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmm ... The Goeta Kanal goes east west (or the other way around).
I was thinking of the one that starts down south, I think in Helsingborg, and then goes north via Stora Vatten (the lake north of Joenkoeping ? - is that Stora Vatten or Lille Vatten ? - anyway that lake west of E-4) I think, all the way to Stockholm.
I always wanted to go on that one.

Dalslandkanal - Is that not where they have those canoe races ???

Geesj, too long ago, to remember (1957-1961)
It is Göta Kanal,but it starts in Göteborg (Gothenburg),not Helsingborg. It is also the only one that goes via Vänern and Vättern to Stockholm.

Dalsland has canoe marathon.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It is Göta Kanal,but it starts in Göteborg (Gothenburg),not Helsingborg. It is also the only one that goes via Vänern and Vättern to Stockholm. Dalsland has canoe marathon.
Thanks for the info.
How could I have that wrong ... ???
I did a stint (stage ?) for Volvo, in 1959.
Even after living and working in Göteborg, for 4 months,
I did not find out about that possibility until the early 80's when I lived in Germany ...
May be some day ...
I really would like to do that trip.
Really, just looking at the video clips !!!!
Who would NOT like to do that ???
Just *google* for Göta Kanal.

The *trailer* for *Kanal Kampen* is funny !!!
I happen to speak a bit of Swedish !!

Last edited by irman; 11-10-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Both Göta Kanal movies has some excellent footage,parts of them could really be used for advertising.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Strasbourg was delightful, Bernkastle & Trier were magical. Our ship passed through the lock near Strasbourg at 5:50Am, the French strike closed the lock at 6:00AM, somebody likes us!!! The chocolates in Antwerp were sinful, along with their incredible beers and delicious fries.We unfortunately didn't make it to Brugges or Ghent.

This was our 2nd trip on the Rhine and Mosel and I've become a German travel advocate. The country is incredibly beautiful, very friendly to US tourists and simply a wonderful place to visit. We will return often.
A nice trip is the Romantic Road. Stunning and you end up in the Bavarian Alps with King Ludwig's castles.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
A nice trip is the Romantic Road. Stunning and you end up in the Bavarian Alps with King Ludwig's castles.
Uhmmm ... On a boat ?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:43 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Nah, but you can combine with a boat trip. The Altmuhl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or